Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-30-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
I was doing grabs on my indo board this morning, stretching out, and I got to wondering why Tindy is not a legit grab (being between Indy and Tail), yet Slob is considered legit, but is the mirror of Tindy (being between Nose and Mute). I think it should be called Nute (although probably too close to nuc for nuclear grab). Just wondered why Slob is cool and Tindy is lame.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-30-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Slob on a skateboard is not done on the side of the nose. It's more of a tuck knee mute, done frontside on a ramp, or over a hip. These names came form skateboarding, why so many choose to basterdise it is beyond me.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
I think people make fun of Tindy because a lot of beginners do them and they look sloppy. Pro's do Tindy glides and other tindy variations that look really stylish.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
basically if you know what your doing its cool.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-30-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
I think the whole Tindy thing is, as Gramps would put it, g to the a to the y. I added a grab to a move last weekend and I didn't give a rat's behind what the grab was. I was just super stoked to finally add a grab to it. I think it sucks that while I was getting all giddy about adding my Tindy grab, some of the fun was taken away by the notion that it is not a "legit" grab. I didn't want it to come to MC Hammer lyrics, but last weekend, I was Too Legit To Quit!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
It's not just wakeboarding's fault, though. Early snowboarders DEFINITELY grabbed tindy.

But yes...wakeboarding is still a few years behind when it comes to actually acknowledging where grabs are (coming correct, I suppose). Pretty much like chris said, slobs on a skateboard are mute grabs on a frontside air--they're grabbed in between the feet and not just outside of it or anything like that.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2007, 11:48 PM Reply   
I wake up in the morning before a set, and before I even get my red bull on, I am thinking tindy. I might even slip a tailfish, just to keep it old school.

This harkens back to the days of jibbin on my shredsled, nothing better than lining up for a catwalk kicker to flat on a bulletproof day with all your bros shouting mad props for rockin a Tindy straight air like you were born for it.

Next time you worry about rocking a Tindy, just smile, cuz it's all good. If you weren't supposed to grab Tindy, your board would stop right after the rear binding. So rock the Tindy, own it to the boat, and give a big old fist pump. Then cut back across the wake and go heelside again, toeside is so 2004 anyway.

If anyone asks, you can tell em I invented it, or at least took it mainstream waaaaaay back in the day.

(Message edited by Flux on June 30, 2007)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-01-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Dammit, my Tindy was totally toeside. However, the fashion air that I rocked was all heelside!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
i grabbed tindy today. it was fun.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-01-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
RESPECT THE TINDY!
Upload
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-01-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
Its just an easy funny looking grab, by far the easiest grab to do. Shunned in snowboarding as well. ;)
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
andy not every one can make a tindy look as good as you can.
ive actually never tried one, it seems really unnatural to me. not the look, i think they look cool, i just mean grabbing in that spot. Indys and tail grabs come way easier for me.
and drew, any grab can look funny if you do it bad.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
^ Word.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
We must learn to embrace the tindy, as Andy's pic shows.