Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-22-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I couldnt find this topic in the search but im sure that a few of you have done it.

Currently my radio goes on and off when i turn the key, the standard way. I was hoping to seperate the stereo from the ignition and simply have an accessory switch to flip on and off the radio no matter which position the key is in. We turn the boat on and off constantly when riders are getting in and out and it gets annoying to hear the radio cut out every time. I'd just have to make sure to turn off the switch at the end of the day so the batteries don't drain.

I really dont want to go through and start yanking wires without any knowledge so if anybody has done this before and can walk me through or even give some basic info I would appreciate the help. thanks
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-22-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Do you have dual batteries? What you want to do is best done with 2 so you're separating your starting power and accessory power. There are a bunch of dual battery threads on here if you don';t have it. The best place to start would be your head unit manual, My deck is wired to my battery and ignition switch so it stays on if I shut off the ignition but it cuts out momentarily when I start the engine.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
You're head unit needs 2 power leads. 1 constant power (for station memories, etc.) and 1 switched power. You can run 1 wire from your fuse block straight to constant power lead at head unit, and 1 wire to your switch, then to the head unit. Refer to the manual to see which color leads they are.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-22-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Brian's right, 2 batteries is the best set up. but for a quick fix if your ignition has an accessory position (usually to the left ) hook your stereo up to that terminal. when you shut off engine turn directly to acc. and stereo stays on and hour meter doesen't
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
My radio has a power switch in the switch panel with lights and ballast pumps. You can run the radio without the key in the boat. You have to remember to turn the switch off at the end of the day, but you don't have the problem you are describing.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
I looked at the wiring, the radio power wire comes from a fuse in the main panel through the switch then to the radio. Nothing from the ignition switch.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-22-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
David, I know it was this way on an 06 vlx but the white wire with a blue chaser that is run into the ignition is the wire for the radio. Just pull it off of the key and run to an available accessory switch and there you go.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-22-2007, 11:44 PM Reply   
Here is my solution. The round rocker next to the key is the radio switch. Conveniently located with a bright blue LED to remind me to turn it off.

Upload
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2007, 12:03 AM Reply   
Wire the main positive wire from the radio to a perko battery switch and the wire for the presets directly to the battery or a source that is connected to a battery. Then at the end of the day, when you switch your batteries off the radio will turn off but keep your presets.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-23-2007, 2:06 AM Reply   
Heres my suggestion, leave the key/motor on while swapping riders. Saves wear and tear on starter, battery, and engine. Oh yea I dont need to hear any blab about how unsafe it is from others, especially since he has a V. Im not going to say what we do(and have been doing for over 5 years) on the I/O's we ride behind as someone may call the safety police to show up at my door.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-23-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Thanks everybody, it seems fairly straight forward, I will look at my HU manual and see which are the power leads to connect to a switch. Im not a big fan of the keeping the boat running because we did have an accident with our DD and now its force of habit. plus we have a bunch of slow pokes on our crew that take 10 minutes to put a life jacket on.

Thank you for all the help, i hope it goes as smoothly and easily as described.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-23-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
bob, I'm not going to call the safety police but I think the reason a lot of people turn their boats off is to not run up the hour meter.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-23-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Good point there on the hour-meter, im up over 750 right now, meaning more maintenance on the horizon. Dave light a fire under their arse. We speak up as we are pulling up the the rider getting in and make sure the next rider is up and moving.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-24-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
I never thought of it as keeping the hours low but I guess that is a benefit as well.

Bob, I would crack the whip but when we go out riding there really is no rush. Sure the water gets blown out after a certain time but the serious people go first anyways and get the good water. There is no right or wrong and Im not complaining. keep shredding