Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-27-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
I have my boat registration numbers painted in the hull. Do I have to get TX numbers on the side? Can I keep my California ones. I don't want have to put stickers on my boat.

Also do I have pay sales tax to Texas. I had the boat registered in California for a couple of years.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-27-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
I'd keep it registered in Ca.

If anyone asks (i.e. Water cops) tell them you are visiting.

From Texas Site http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/

Placement of Decal on Documented Vessels:

* Validation Decal to be placed on both sides of the bow.
* Display of Registration (TX) Number not required if current USCG Documentation remains in effect.
* Certificate of Number ID Card must be carried on board the vessel while in use.

Registration Fees:

* Less than 16 feet in length — $30.00
* 16 feet but less than 26 feet in length — $50.00
* 26 feet but less than 40 feet in length — $70.00
* 40 feet or more in length — $90.00
* Livery Boat less than 16 feet in length — $30.00

(Message edited by rson on March 27, 2007)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-27-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
They can't make you pay sales tax for registration of something you already own. They can enforce registration of the vehicle in TX if the boat is used in TX. I live in south east TN near Georgia and Alabama. Numerous GA and AL residents keep boats in TN. The law says if the boat is used and moored more than 30 days in TN / year it must have a TN registration even if owner is in GA.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-27-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
From what I understand TX does not charge a luxury tax, like CA does. It varies by county here in CA.

The numbers will come off if soaked with thinner, and then a buffer can finish the job. There are body guys on here that could better explain the process and exactly what to use.

Sounds like you need to ask yourself where you see yourself in two years. Do you also have a semi-permanent address to use in CA.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-27-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
Here's my experience in taking painted numbers off:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19353
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       03-27-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
Are you relocating to Texas or just visiting? If you are relocating, then yes you will have to register your boat. Law enforcement on the lakes and rivers are generally pretty good guys, but they don't like telling you twice and they will.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-27-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
I had a nice visit from the local lake patrol shortly after I moved to Texas. They welcomed me and told me to get TX tags, or risk a ticket. The registration is much lower here than the old rates in California. There is also no property tax on the boat.

The downside is the boat trailer registration. You need to get a certificate of actual weight of the trailer without the boat on it. This needs to come from a certified scale in Texas. This is a strange law, and I still haven't registered the trailer in Texas.

Also - 2 different agencies are in charge of boat and trailer registration. You no longer have a one stop DMV. Texas parks and wildlife for the boat and Tdot for the trailer.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-27-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
I'm officially a Texan (LOL), I wasnt born here but got here as fast as I could. Or something like that.

I plan on living here for a long time.

The paint removal seems to be a pain. Plus it the numbers were probably painted on 20 years ago. I might still try it.

Thanks everyone, I called the TPWD and it looks like it will only cost me aboout $90 to register.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
"Certificate of Number ID Card must be carried on board the vessel while in use"

Someone want to explain to me what this is? Are they meaning your title? They're nuts if they think I'm gonna have my title on me while at the lake. I had a TX game warden stop me for a random safety check when I crossed into the TX side of Texoma, and he demanded it. He started yelling at me b/c I didn't have it. I was like... I don't even know what it is you want.

They proceeded to confinscate all our beer as well, b/c we had one person who was under 21. Out of 10 people on the boat, one was 6 months shy of 21, wasn't drinking, and he grabbed every ice chest b/c of it. Not much I could do but b*tch and moan.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-27-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
They give you a blue laminated card to carry in the boat. It ties you to your vessel.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
So I guess that's what he kept talking about when he was yelling, "where's your blue card".

He couldn't get it through his head that we don't have that those in OK. Considering that lake is shared by two states, you would think he would know that. O well... what can do you do, but make sure your good w/ everything else.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-27-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
Can you get a PTI (Permant Trailer Registration) Trailer Licence plate like in California. If so, do you guys know how much it cost?