Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (westerdude)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Des anyone know where to get lead for a decent price????
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-29-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Pop products in so cal. I think their website is popproducts.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-29-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Free? Tire shop or shooting range. I got what I needed today from one of our clients FREE!

Of course last week, I paid $90 for a 16 pound weight belt OUCH!

The question becomes do you want bars or soft packets? Are you willing to work with lead even though it is highly toxic?

Have you also considered plumbing a ballast system in?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Tire stores, free.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Are the tire stores privately owned? The chain ones in Texas usually have a contract where they get paid for their tire weights so they won't give them away.
Old     (westerdude)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
i want any kind of lead... i have worked with it before and am willing to melt/work with it again...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-29-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
You can take the lead and put them into a PVC tubes, then fill with either a glycol or water depending on your freezing conditions, then cap them. You can make them as long or short as you want.

I know some places consider it a hazerdous waste and will not give it to the general public, which is funny because anyone can buy the product at most any auto parts store, less brake dust. Chain stores are more likely to have corporate rules vs a local store. The metal recycling guys are the ones that typically pick up the scrap metal including lead, and pay nothing for it.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-30-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
You can also get them from Pounderz (www.pounderz.com). They are a little more expensive than PopProducts because they are solid lead, therefore much heavier and denser. I use a few in the nose of my boat to balance things out without taking up a lot of space or making a mess with water bags.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-30-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
I got all the lead I could carry off from an indoor shooting range.

I have also asked at the tire store that I go to. They normally sell their lead to a recycler but the manager said that they will sell the lead to "good" customers, $20 for 5 gallon bucket about half full, which is about the point it becomes too heavy to pick up. Sounds like a good deal to me....
Old    malibu73            01-30-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
rod about how much does the half fulled 5 gallon bucket weight?
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
I have about 300lbs of tire weights that need to be melted down.
Half of a 5 gallon bucket is around 45 to 55 lbs.
Old    malibu73            02-01-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
peter what size diameter pvc did you use? How long did you cut it? How much does each tube weigh?
Old     (rennen)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-01-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
you guys are nuts... Value your health and you can ride even longer..

Lead = Poison. Ballast = $$$.
You choose little $$$ or little poison.

Choice is clear for me.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-01-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
I would probably use a 3-4" pipe and cap one end. If you are willing to melt the lead then it might be worth a try to pour it in and see if you can cool it before it melts through. Once it is filled with lead and cooled, then seal it up for good.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Sal - Pounderz are powdercoated so there is no lead exposure.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 1:14 AM Reply   
JPK - unless im missing something, there doesnt appear to be prices on the Pounderz site.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       02-02-2007, 2:30 AM Reply   
lol....do it right and you can have ballast, lead, and health. The answer is either carefully handling of material or purchasing lead products that are designed, manufactured, andmade for boating applications. I have 600 lbs. from a company called Lead Footz. They are covered in epoxy resin to keep from handling the "lead" so to speak and have dimensions of 8.5x11x1 inch plates with handle. Each plate is 50 lbs. I use four hundre in the rear and two hundred center and forward bow section. Make sure to account for peole weight. At first I was going to get more but then realized you should account for how many peeps you usually have and where they usually sit...place lead accordingly. I used a newer boat of the same manufacturer and map out how much and where they put their ballast system. Try to match weight and placement and maybe a lil more for that extra pop and you should be good. You dont want to over due it if your a boat tower because it not only is hard on the boat, its hard on the trailer, its hard on the tow vehicle and everything else so be careful. Good luck and take care

Oh and BTW- to do it right will cost you but your health is worth it....and so is the time you save not filling and emptying those sacs..Cost me at the time $1.00/per lb. Yeah Ouch. ( I had to order over five hundred to get free freight...lol:-)

(Message edited by zride on February 02, 2007)