Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
I know this has been touched on but have a quick question. Here are the specs and list prices from the dealer:

07 X1 = $48,440

07 Single Axle MC Trailer = $4,320

MCX 350 HP Upgrade = $2,730

Black MC Tower Cover = $680

Bimini Tower Mounted = $800

KGB Ballast System = $950

Stereo/CD/FM/AM/Sirius Ready = $590

JL Speakers & Tweeters = $1000

Tower Speakers (2) = $1,770

Amp & Sub = $1,140

Fixed Board Racks = $540

Perfect Pass = $1,180

Stainless Rub Rail = $390

Masterview Drivers Seat = $230

Bow Pull up Cleats = $240

Spare Tire Chrome = $340

Shipping = $950

Dealer Prep = $850

If their calculator works correctly, we are looking at a whopping $67,635 List Price. After looking at some other threads on the board, and boat show deals, I THINK a great price on this setup should be in the high 40's or low 50's but not sure. What would you consider a good OTD price would be on the above? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
That is a good marketing idea huh? Give you a totally rediculus msrp, then knock off 15-20k to make you think you are getting a good deal. Mid 40's would be a decent price on the boat. You get into the upper 40's to lower 50's and you can get a lot more boat for the money. If you do buy it, you will want a tandem axle trailer, unless you want to be sitting on the side of the road. Just an idea for you, that same boat sold for 28-33k 10 years ago. Exact same hull, very similar interior etc.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
The trailer comes with it at MSRP. Have you actually gone to take a look at them in person and get a real quote or are you just looking at MSPR on a website somewhere? If so, the one you are getting the quote from is not very realistic. You can get that boat pretty loaded in the low $50's. Sacrifice a few options, and you can get it in the mid $40's. No one pays List Price. Go in and offer them $50 and see what happens. BTW, you can get by with a few less options on that boat like cleats, SS rub rail, Tower cover, etc. Figure out what you need and make an offer.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-25-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
IF YOU GET THE 07 X1 WITH ALL THAT STUFF IT WILL PROB BE BETWEEN 53,000-58,000 OUT THE DOOR.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Byrd:

Dealer prepared quote, not internet. This same dealer sold me a brand new i/o last year and knows that I now want a wake boat. He is a MC dealer. I paid $35K OTD (including TT&L) for my NEW i/o last spring. The NADA on my boat is now upper 20's. He has offered $35K on the above boat plus my boat which works out to what ponte said but based on your numbers and others I have read about, that still seems very high.

Next problem is the next closest wake boat dealer is Malibu (1.5 hours away) then the next closest are 3 hours away. I am anal about buying new as I want to know how the boat was cared for - very few used options around her - and I would prefer to have fairly local service. BTW, I am not stuck on MC.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-25-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Bob L - I think your dealer is taking advanatage of you. Everything I've heard would indicate that a single axle trailer is included in MSRP, and I believe the MC website would confirm that. Also, I believe base MSRP should be $42,995, not $48,440.

Matt C - a similar boat with this hull wasn't around 10 years ago. The first year you could even compare would be the 1999 205V, first v-drive in the hull. They were nowhere near $28k. I have the paperwork telling showing me that the original owner of my 2000 205V paid $47k, most options but not PP, ballast, or shower.
Old     (timmylikewake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-25-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I thought I saw an ad on the X1. Said 39,995 for boat trailer ballast and tower? What happened to that? I didnt think the price point boat would get that expensive.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
Tim, that was last years'spricing. Just like everything else in America, there was a cost increase, lol...

Bob, I think you can get that boat at a reasonable price. Also, how has the dealer treated you so far with service? You dont want to have to drive 1.5 hours everytime your boat needs service or warranty work done. IMO, offer him $20k-$25K out the door and see what happens. Then your are trading yours in and getting an out the door price of $50K. To me that is a realistic deal on that boat with the options you want. Let the dealer know, nicely, that you have done your homework and intend to shop other brands if the pricing doesnt get any better. BTW, I would expect that the dealer will counter with a split on the taxes tag, title, but even if this happens, you are in the ball park with reasonable pricing on this boat. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

(Message edited by Byrd on January 25, 2007)

(Message edited by Byrd on January 25, 2007)
Old     (boardin4364)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I be

(Message edited by boardin4364 on January 25, 2007)
Old     (boardin4364)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
TIM.
That was last years price. They went up 8% this year.
I beg to differ with the others on price Don't think your touching an x-1 with essential options for under 50k.

Here's a price I was quoted for an 07 X-1 at the Chicago show recently
Depth Finder
Triple KGB
Heater
Perfect Pass Pro
Bimini
Cover
Swivel Board Racks
Mirror Arm RTp -1

With show price and also I guess MC is doing a 5k Rebate in three years if you follow the procedures. If you do exactly what the details say you get a rebate check after 3 years for 5k. Not sure how hard it is to keep up, but I would think it would be tedious. They are banking on you to forget to do something.

So show price was 51,500 plus tax, pred freight with the bare essentials. Don't think your getting into an optioned X-1 under 50k these days. That is unless you consider the show rebate against your price. I don't because you're still actually paying the 51,500
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
"IMO, offer him $20k-$25K out the door and see what happens."

I agree with Byrd. If you're boat is worth $29k plus another $20k would be a good deal, start there. You're boat plus $35k is not a good deal....
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
that's really a bummer. i'm pretty sceptical about some dealers "boat show deals" these days though. not that they're jacking you, but like mentioned above, inflating msrp is dumb. the pricing seems about right i guess, but i don't think it's stellar. i could have bought an 06 X-1 last year with all brad's options listed above + bimini, 2 tower speakers with lights, amp, sub, changer, flush kit and cover for $46 and change+ttl. i guess that does get you pretty close to $50 when you figure ttl. that was supposedly "a deal". it's pretty much impossible to buy new at mid $40s without really skimping on some of the necessities. i want one bad, but i'm probably going to be forced to buy used and that bums me out. especially since the used market here sucks right now.

(Message edited by brucemac on January 25, 2007)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Bruce, Dont be afraid of a used boat, especially if you can get one a year old with warranty left on it. Personally I dont have a problem with letting someone else take the first year depreciation hit on anything that will depreciate, autos, boats, etc.
Old     (kdsuprassv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-25-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
My local dealer quoted me $48K on 2007 X-1 with single axle trailer, tower, standard board racks, KGB Ballast, perfect pass and cover. This may have had a stereo...I can't remember. I was also told that the base price had gone up to $42,998 +/- for 2007.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that pricing is regional and shortages of dealers for a type of boat (competition inboards) may drive up your local price. Plus MSRP is manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price. It isn't firm and there is flex both ways depending on the market.

That said I think paying more than 50K for that boat would be insane..plus you are going to get soaked bigtime on your 1 year old boat. You'd be better off selling it yourself rather than trade it in.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
I went to the MC Website but appears you have to become a user to get pricing. His quote back to me after I questioned the base price and trailer issue was "the Retail of the X1 at $48,440.00 does not include a trailer". The next thing to look at is the RTP vs. MCX but his quote shows that as an add-on option. I thought the 06 X1 at $39,995 included the RTP engine, a tower, and trailer so if you add 8% (07 price increase) then you are looking at a $43,200 base price NOT $48,440.
Old     (dimall)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-25-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hey Bob – after talking to some dealers at the Chicago boat show I wouldn’t be afraid to low-ball your dealer. It looked like demand for the boats is not the same as it used to be. Any dealer would be happy to sell a boat now even if they make almost no money on it. BTW, we almost bought (literally – we were ready to sign the papers) X-1 last year but opted for Supra. After all, we got a bigger boat plus a new shore station for less than X-1 with bare essentials.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Low ball em. I'm pretty sure mc dealers are trained to give you a rediculus price right out of the chute just to see if you'll pay it. If they can't get to your numbers go elsewhere, buy used, or buy a different brand. There are plenty of boats to chose from.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Your dealer is not being honest with you. The 07 X-1's at the Advertised Price of Under $44,000 DOES include the trailer. In fact, I dont think a dealer can order one without the trailer. You should take this discussion over to the TeamTalk Forum on the Mastercraft Website, which is monitored HEAVILY by the manufacturer. MC or the dealer's rep wont be happy that the dealer is lying to you. Here is the link, Sign up and let everyone know what you have experienced from this dealer.

http://www.tmcowners.com/
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
byrd, i'm no expert, but i've certainly been following the 05 X-2 - 07 X-1's and the used mc market in wa state is pretty hit and miss. usually very slim pickins. at least the last couple years. boattraderonline.com has had the same two MC's listed for a couple weeks now with nothing new. an 04 X-30 and an 01 PS209. :-(

cope doesn't advertise on there though, but still.

maybe just time of year.

too bad i'm not really interested in a malibu because they're all over the place.

i guess i'll have to either keep saving or lower my expectations. the resale of the MC really adds to my pros list though.

(Message edited by brucemac on January 25, 2007)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
and dealers can order without trailers because our dealer here in seattle puts their MC's on a 3rd party set of wheels. name escapes me, but they do. they claim it saves them a fortune in destination charges and that the trailers are "better".
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Bruce, I know they can on other boats, but I was not aware of MC shipping X-1's without trailers. Thanks for the info...
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice from all of you. I am not ready to bash or embarass the dealer because he may be my only decent MC option, assuming I go that way AND he currently is my existing boat dealer. I would, however, like to show him that I can use the internet and give him a chance to pull out the hose he is trying to stick in my butt.

Does anyone know where I can get a link to the "advertised" price for the 07 X1 for $44K that states what is actually included in the price?

As you can tell, there are not a lot of options in this part of the country. Here are my options:

#1 - Malibu, Supra, Moomba dealer - 3.5 hours away

#2 - Mastercraft, Centurion dealer - 3.5 hours away

#3 - Mastercraft, Moomba dealer - 3 hours away

#4 - Malibu (does not even have a boat in stock) - 1.5 hours away

#5 - The guy trying to nail me - 30 minutes away.

I have always thought of purchasing a Mastercraft due to the above (dealer locations).

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a new boat this spring but have not done any serious research on the other brands. We (have 3 sons) are not real serious about wakeboarding yet but 2 of them are progressing faster than I thought. Paying $60K or higher is out of the question until I see them doing back flips. We have a camp on a lake so getting a large boat is not necessary. There are rarely more than 5 ppl in the boat at one time, thus the X1 consideration.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
If you are waiting for backflips to get a 60K boat... I assume if you wait until this Summer, you can dump 60 K....they will be doing inverts before you know it.

Though driving 3 hours for service is not a perfect situation, it is better than dealing with someone who starts you out like this IMO.

There are a few other boat brands that you could consider as well. Not to mention the gently used market....

Best of luck in the boat hunt.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
As a side note, do not for a minute think that my first sentence was in any way stating that a 60K boat was in order. I don't know if I would ever feel good about paying over 50K for a boat that didn't come with a bed, stove, shower and toilet.

Lucky I bought in '03 I guess.......
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-25-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
NATIONALY ADVERTIZED PRICE ON THE X-1 for 2007

$42995 + FREIGHT AND PREP
Price includes the following
Hull
Motor 310 HP RTP Multiport motor w/ MC Speed control
2007 Tower
double ballast
single axle trailer

All other options are additional
EXAMPLE Stereo, WB PP, cover bimini board racks etc.

Hope this helps
Old     (dimall)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-25-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Here are some of the quotes i got from a dealer in Indiana last year. It was before we even started to negotiate. I checked 3 dealers last year - trailer is NOT included in the price of the boat.

2006 MasterCraft X-1

sunrise yellow-navy blue

MCX 350 h.p., tower cover, fixed board racks, tower mirror attachment, KGB ballast, stereo remote, am fm stereo cd, depth finder, Masterview driver seat, pull up cleats, fire extinguisher, single axle trailer.

Sale price $45,413.00

2006 MasterCraft X-1

navy blue-white

options as above

Sale price $45,413.00

2006 MasterCraft X-1

black - white

same options as above

Sale price $45,413.00

2006 MasterCraft X-1

turn bouy orange-white

same options as above with the exception of stereo remote and tower mirror attachment

sale price $45,027.00
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
I will see if my Wakeboard Mag or Alliance has that advertisement. If it does, I'll PM you and fax it to you and the dealer, lol...
Old     (bryguy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-25-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
Steve is right on with that price. I was in Bob's spot just a couple months ago. I can tell you it is entirely possible to get an 07' for under 50k w/ nice options. We ended up an 07' for 46k w/ stereo, drivers & transom remote, sub/amp, swivel racks, tower speakers w/ lights, tandem trailer, bimini, pop-up cleats, cover, heater, out the door. Unfortunately our closest MC dealer is 3hrs away and we ended up buying from the one 5hrs away, so options were limited. One thing to keep in mind for Bob is your warranty work can be taken to any MC dealer, so even if you buy from one further away you can take you work to your local guy.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Looking at all these prices is causing a rise in my blood pressure and this is coming from a dealer that already HAD my business.

Byrd - If you find that advertisment, I want it as it will be faxed to the dealer.

Haik sent me an email with a dealer name that I am calling tomorrow.

Bryan - was trying to avoid this story but your comment on having the local dealer work on the boat along with my sudden onset of blood pressure problems has forced me into this....

#1 - Purchase the new I/O from the dealer in question (also sells MC). At 10 hours, the oil is changed (by them). At 20 hours, the water temp warning light goes off so I shut the engine down and check for debris (none there). Start again after all appears well (assumed a bad sensor) and it starts to smoke so shut her down again. Now it is dark and the wife asks if I had any Grey Goose on board (forgot that - she's none to happy in the dark in the middle of the lake with no comfort - I am too mad to ask for H20 nookie). Buddy comes and tows me in. Bring the boat in to the dealer and they go to work. 3 days later they said everything is fine and fixed. Go to pick it up and they say just a minor impellar problem - they do not offer to show me the impellar and after I asked for it, they show me a chunk of eaten up rubber. I then ask them to send me a copy of the service/warranty invoice - never did. I am still happy they had the boat back so quick and cannot complain - it is a boat and they have problems.

#2 - Later, I complain that the hole shot is horrible when loaded - said they would look into it. 4 weeks after being embarrassed a few times with the hole shot, I contact the manufacturer and they said I was not even supposed to have these props (read - I had to contact the manufacturer). They send the dealer a new set of props (Bravo III) and go to have them installed for free and then they end up pulling out a rusty pipe wrench and sledge hammer for the install - not pretty. Again, they were nice and responsive BUT I had to do all the work to get the new props.

#3 - Bring in for "winterization" and they quote me $175 (rather high, but they have to earn a living). Pick it up on Saturday and the lady says that will be $250. I asked why the difference and she looks at some notes and claims that since I put Stabil in the tank, they had to run it for a while (what they call a water test - which is a $75 fee). I then notice that there is a note that a broken exhaust hose was found and it needed to be repaired. I then ask why it had not been repaired and they said they were not certified to do Mercrusier repairs - YOU SOLD ME THE BOAT and you worked on it (see point #1). Now, I am out $75 extra bills and they cant work on a boat they sold me. Go to talk to the GM and he is in the middle of an X-Star transaction so I did not have his full attention. Irritated but not to the point of going postal - still nice guys.

#4 - Bring the boat in to a certified Mercruiser dealer to replace the exhaust hose and he calls me up and says he cannot submit the warranty invoice because the motor has never been registered (boat purchased new 8 months ago). Call the dealer and get some "Mercrusier looses those warranty registration cards all the time" reply but the dude that worked on the boat says it is all done on-line. Now he (the certified dealer, not my dealer) is nice and takes it on himself to register the engine.

That my friends is my dealer experience. I am trying very hard to get by all these issues and move on but....
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
{quote} With show price and also I guess MC is doing a 5k Rebate in three years if you follow the procedures. If you do exactly what the details say you get a rebate check after 3 years for 5k. Not sure how hard it is to keep up, but I would think it would be tedious. They are banking on you to forget to do something.
{/quote}

Can anyone pls e-mail me about this promotion about getting the $5k in 3 years... I am very interested in the details to this...
Old     (flamethewolf)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Bob, I'm going through the same thing right now in Texas.. that 48k base price plus 4k trailer are dealer markups but NO ONE is holding to those prices... however, in my experience they are trying to hold pretty firm to 55ish totally loaded including MCX. Your best best IMO is to go in ready to by the V-Ride which can be had for mid 40's and make the MC dealer come down... In my market I'd be happy with low 50's totally loaded. The boat show is the time to buy.... the rep's can throw in options that doesn't cost the dealer anything. I am hoping to buy next weekend..
Old     (flamethewolf)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
by the way... dealer prep and shipping should be 1200 total... but i'm planning on picking mine up at the factory
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-25-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Sorry your thought process is flawed. This is a BAYLINER vs.CROWNLINE arguement. Better boat costs more money. How do you know what dealer prep and freight should be? Costs alot more to ship a boat to CA. than it does to Tenn. from the factory. It takes a hell of alot more time to prep a LOADED X-Star vs. a base X-1. Why not step up and pay a little more for a more expensive product? Do you think MC justs prices there boats for more for the hell of it? Go to your local MC dealer and have him show you the product and the differences. I am not saying a BU does not have its place in the WB world. Just saying go really check out the differences.

P.S. Don't be surpised to hear that you cannot p/u your new boat at the MC factory. You can tour the plant openly and see your boat being built, which I would highly encourage you to do. Then try and tour the BU plant...right down the road.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-25-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
It's amazing that for an X1 they are actually putting a premium on the boat instead of a discount. Sounds like everyone buying an X1 is paying MSRP or more while every other boat is going for at least $5K under MSRP. For that price I'd probably go with a 21V.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Go tour them both, then look at how much cleaner and nicer the bu plant is and how much more plush the v-ride is. Then take them both on a test drive and see how much smoother the v-ride is. X-1 msrp is around 43k. If you call the plant to tell them someone is trying to rip you they will tell you the msrp is 43k but dealers can sell them for whatever they can get. Just so you know there were 3 x-1s on line last spring for 36k thats right 36k with wakeboard racks, stereo, and cover. Thats quite a price difference. Tell them what you will pay and if they don't take it buy something else. I would hate to loose 10k in a year just to say my boat had MC on the side.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-26-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
What exactly goes into "dealer prep"? What are they doing for you. I have to say it doesn't seem that there should be too much beyond installing a few options, checking hoses and electrical connections and I would think running the boat at least once before it is delivered. Just curious.

On topic...I would have a hard time purchasing from this dealer given your history with him.
Old     (c_boarder)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-26-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Sorry to go off topic,MATT C you have to be joking about the Bu plant being cleaner and nicer than the MC plant, right?. Any one could see why MC is more $$, after touring both plants!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
I am 100% in agreement with Eric....and stated it before in this thread.

When I was on my search, I narrowed to 3 dealers(boats) and the best deal won. NOTE, not least expensive, just what I considered the best deal.

I was 100% positive that I would be happy with any of the three boats. There was a local dealer that mimicked the story above and it cut one of the three out of the process just like *bam* that.

As far as a Mastercraft, Malibu, Correct Craft being better than a Malibu, Mastercraft, Correct Craft...... People are looking through ownership goggles. Next thing someone is going to bring out "fit and finish" or "chopper gun." WHATEVER.........

Words of advice from who I consider a very intelligent man. (paraphrase) Get a GREAT deal on premium product and you will not be disappointed.