Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    bingeboarder            09-25-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
WE currently have a 2006 mobious lsv which is a 21 foot. It currently has 950 pounds of ballast(450 in front and 250 in each rear). I have measured and the two rear ski lockers will hold the two 750 pound bags. the family is wondering wether it is safe to put these in or not??? just dont wanna go out there with 1000 pounds to much ballast...help please,
alex
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
i have 1350lb in my 06 outback v, just fine
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-25-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
"safe" is a very relative term. Safe from what?

As long as the boat can still float it can be argured that it is "safe" for some set of conditions. As the conditions get worse the safety margin will decrease. Note that if the conditions get bad enough the boat could be unsafe even without any ballast in it at all.

The Coast Guard and the boat manufacturing industry have established a formula for "safe load" and it should be displayed around the helm of your boat. IE, Capactiy = x People or Y pounds.

If you are not exceeding the maximum capacity as stated by the manufacturer then you should have a reasonably safe boat.

If you wish to exceed the manufacturers stated capacity then you need to make your own determination of what you consider to be "safe enough". You will need to factor in the likelyhood of getting caught in a sudden squall, or subjected to large wakes, perhaps your own.

My gut reaction, however, is that if you added an additional 1500 Lbs of ballast to the back of your boat it will be too much.
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Maybe try putting that much weight in the boat without first buying the sacks. Whether its people, weights, or a friends sacks. I have NO experience with that boat, but I also think that 1500 in the rear is too much. I assume you will be replacing the 250s in the rear with the 750s?
Maybe something like replacing the 250s with 500s and put a 250 up front, and the other 250 somewhere in the middle. That'll give you 1450lbs, that should be a pretty good start. Or maybe do 750s in the back. Stack both 250s in the bow. That with the 450 will be near 1000 front, with 1500 rear. Only thing is, if you get many people in the boat, you will want more weight in the front, but at that point, you will be close to "unsafe", in my opinion. (figure 2500 lbs water plus 8 people at 150 lbs each, about 3700 lbs) I'm also going to assume that you dont need this much weight if you're asking the question. Usually you build up to adding that much weight. My vote would be 2 500s in the back, then the 250s in the front, or where ever you like them.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-25-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
My buddy has a 06 Supra 20ssv. He took out the stock 275s and went with the 400s on each side. He swapped out the 600 and put a 1200 but it probably holds between 8 and 900lbs in the belly. We also run another 400lbs in pop bags. With this setup the wake is big but he did have to reprop his boat. I think the 750s would be overkill in the rear.
Old    bingeboarder            09-25-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
if i did do this i was considering putting 250 im front but i have a friend im gonna talk to tommorow who has this setup in his 22 ssv and see what he says
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
If you do, you will definitley want both 250s up front or more. The boat will plane better, the wake will be bigger and firmer. That is a bunch of weight in the back with not much up front. Also most people sit in the back, so youd wanna compenstae with even more in the front. Take pictures and post when you get it dialed.