Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-13-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Check it out:

http://www.wakesurfmag.com/video_room.html

it could use a bit less extraneous stuff - wakesurfing dogs do NOTHING for me. :-) But you have to love some of video of Josh, Chase and Tyler.

Cool too, that Wakesurfing Mag is helping make the sport more visible.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       06-13-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Chewey is our hero. Nice editing JL, Call me.
Old    surfdad            06-13-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Jerry, your hero is a dog?! :-) I so do NOT want to know. :-) The footage of the wakesurfing is great. I can't remember now, but did Josh Sleigh throw an aerial body varial starting backside? He has serious skills on a board.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       06-13-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Yes, Chewey is my hero. He beat out Jeff Hackman.
I know, who is Jeff Hackman. Greatest surfer to ever surf Sunset.
Old     (surfer_ryan223)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
nice vid. chewey's flippen sweet.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-14-2006, 1:46 AM Reply   
Cool vid and I loved seeing a Calabria being used in the second part of the filming!!
Old    surfdad            06-14-2006, 4:58 AM Reply   
Did you see that Calabria was for sale? I guess from what I have read it has three hydraulic trim tabs - I'm presuming one on each side and one in the middle to help shape the wake. Interesting idea.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-14-2006, 4:59 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that side trim tabs would help.
Old    surfdad            06-14-2006, 5:18 AM Reply   
Do you think so Ed? I know that Mark Sher says the single trim tab on his Enzo works wonders (but he also thinks his Enzo was hand crafted by God himself and delivered on a trailer driven by angels :-) ) on my Tige I get a little bit of affect with the TAPS plate but it's marginal, IMO. The Calabria Pro V only holds...what 750 pounds of ballast total, right? So that is 375 on a side? Have you tested that side tabs concept Ed? Do you think it works best with less ballast?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-14-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
Jeff,

On my boat we run regular surf with 0% center trim tab and 100% trim on goofy. For goofy besides moving ballast to the Starboard side and filling up the starboard tank, we also fill up the port tank about 1/3 to 1/2 that’s about 250 to 350 lbs. I think I know why the center trim helps goofy surf. I also have a pretty good idea why left and right trim tabs would be helpful.

As you know if you have too much aft ballast the wake will be tall and short. We have to move people and other movable ballast forward to get a decent wake shape. For goofy surf we have more ballast in the rear and not enough ballast to move forward. Setting the trim tab down is somewhat like adding ballast to the front or at least it lifts the stern out of the water, which is what you need to do if your wake is too short and too steep.

Monday when my perfect pass was down I was really cruising, running as fast as 11.5 to 13 mph on the Mojo. The increased speed picked the rear of the boat up and really improved the wake shape, which made the pocket longer and removed or reduced the hull extension middle feature.

I've got my fourth wakesurf boat modification experiment mounted and will test this evening. My modification doesn't include trim tabs but should have a similar, hopefully more dramatic effect.

There are a number of variables I'm playing with. I'm going to attempt to be methodical and record stepwise changes in setup and performance. One thing I wanted to do was to bring my long real tape measure to see how far back a rider can surf with different configurations. I want to develop some “Wake Metrics”. If you can’t measure performance you can’t judge improvement. I forgot my darn tape this morning so we’ll just use pictures, video, and subjective responses.

In a way I tested side trim tabs, actually I tested the opposite of adding trim tabs. When I did the hull extension experiment I only filled in one side, the port side. Filling in one side is like adding trim tabs to one side. The effect was that it countered everything else that you want to happen to make a good regular surf wake, but I think it would have helped the goofy surf wake. So I’m saying that what’s bad for the regular stance is good for the goofy stance. I think that I’m going to revisit the hull extension experiment later this season.

No duct tape tonight, don’t tell Red Green.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-14-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
now they just need to have me build them a nice website :-)
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-14-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Jeff,
do you know how they weighed down the Calabria?for this shoot It seems that the pocket is further back and longer than mine.

Do you know who the owner of the Calabria was?
Old    surfdad            06-14-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hey Tom, I do believe that Calabria is owned by the folks at Wakesurfing Magazine and Shoreline Lakeboards. Here is the link describing the boat:

http://www.wakesurfmag.com/home.html

We were in Oregon at a contest when they did this shoot, so I can't honestly tell you how they have it weighted. Michael Daugherty of Wakesurfing Magazine is a pretty friendly guy, I'm sure if you subscribed to his magazine :-) he'd be happy to tell you how they weight their boat.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-14-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff for the good information. I wish I had seen this boat before I bought my new Calabria. Perhaps in two years all boat manufacturers will have wakesurf options for their boats.}

Anyhow, I spoke to them ordered a subscription and got some good information.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-16-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
http://954interactive.com/wake/videos/holmes_surf.mov
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Great video
Old     (daltonhouse)      Join Date: May 2006       06-20-2006, 1:47 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff

Excellent Vid. Someone asked me who's the band singing the song in the Vid, do you (or anyone else) know who that is. Super Track.

In regard to the Wake Surfing Mag. I subscribed and waited patiently down here in Australia for it arrive. About a week later, my wait was over, I couldn't read it from cover to cover quick enough. As a bonus I got 6 copies that I passed around to friends "sharing the love".

Cheers
Old    surfdad            06-22-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hey Charlie, I'm not sure about the band, but it sure sounds like the Clash. Any Alternative Rock Historians around? :-)
Old     (point1234)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Hey Charlie the song is by Soul Coughing. On the El oso album its called $300. That is the second video posted by holmes. How about the first video posted by Jeff Walker anyone know that song.
Old    mobster            06-25-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
The Mob video music is the Clash Magnificent Seven from the Sandanista cd Are you ready for some more MOB videos . The mob is heading back to the Delta for the Surf Fest to film some final segments We are bringing Gavin Sutherland ,Josh Sleigh . so go big and the So look out for the Mob
Old    surfdad            06-25-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Hey JL, I'm not sure that everyone here keeps up on professional surfers or tours like the Airshow can you take a few minutes and tell us about Gavin and Josh? Also, the first I had heard of "the Mob" was when Jerry shot me the link to the vid at Wakesurfer Mag, I'd be interestd in hearing more.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-27-2006, 1:01 AM Reply   
What/when is Surf Fest? That video was soooo sweet
Old    surffamily            09-12-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Chewy is a really sweet dog!! Everyone that knows her loves her! You would too if you ever had a chance to meet her. She lives in Discovery Bay, not far from you in Stockton. I'm sure you're going to see her surf next summer, and then you'll understand why she's loved so much!
Debbie
Old    surfdad            09-12-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
LOL - I'm sure it's the best wakesurfing dog ever, Debbie. :-) Jerry is telling me that I may have to compete against Chewy next summer, and I'll probably lose. :-)
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
hey jerry price, what bay do you live in, in disco bay, near indian bay by chance?
Old    surffamily            09-12-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
Taco,
Indian Bay is the home of Chewy the Surfdog.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
where? hahahaha that's so funny, my aunt and uncle have a house there, is it the house with the red x-80?
Old    surffamily            09-12-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
LOL that's my neighbor. Didn't he buy it from Ski World USA? Dennis Schriber is my good friend! He owns ski world! Small world!! Actually I wake up looking at that boat every morning!!

(Message edited by surffamily on September 12, 2006)
Old    surffamily            09-13-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Jeff,

That's funny! Jerry is definitely one of Chewy's main fans. When you meet Chewy, you'll probably want her to ride with you on the board, like everyone else does. Then you'll be loving her too. When Rich Sellers got his board from Jerry, he had Jerry put Chewy Pads on the board! No kidding!!!LOL!

Debbie
Old    surfdad            09-13-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Chewy is a her?! Sorry for my misplaced gender reference. Rich is funny guy, very dynamic personality and it doesn't surprize me that he has Chewy Pads. :-)
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
do you know where the blue 23 lvs ws is? with the blue sun things....right across the way?
by the way, there are ski world stickers all over it....
Old    surffamily            09-15-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Taco,
Are you talking about the white with blue trim two story house?

Debbie
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
debbie-
haha yeah...that's it, i'll be there this weekend, i'll be jumping of the docks and such, i 'll wave
Old    surffamily            09-16-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Taco,

Small world! We see you guys there alot. A bunch of you. You guys look like you're around my kids ages. Ryan will be there. He's the one that got 3rd place at Konocti. Stop by and say hi!
Debbie
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
i'll try, wait he got 3rd place in wakesurfing? cuz that is neat, i wakeskate by the way!
Yeah i'm 15