Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-14-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
does anyone else have this problem?
I've been boarding 3 to 4 times a week until I had to put my boat in the shop
been down to 1 or no times/week the last month

was a gym rat before the season started, but stopped or slowed down..
anyway

glass this morning on lake Arlington and we were the only ones out there

1st set I made all of my practice cuts including some 1 wake jumps

2nd set, did some surface 180's and 2 wake jumps and that was it!

I had to call it a day
probably only one third the time on the water as a month before

any of you guys have this problem this late in the season?
Old    walt            09-14-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Use it or lose it.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-14-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Had the same exact scenario happen to me last Saturday. I train and diet faithfully all Winter, Spring and
as far into the Summer as I can. But by this time every year, the Summer riding, eating and beers seem to all
catch up with me and kick my ass. Plus, I'm an old fart.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-14-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
I'm an old fart too Alex

but it does make me look forward to a hardcore winter training routine....so that I can improve that much more next year
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-14-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
After not going out for about 3 weeks I went out last weekend and did the exact opposite, I'm the only one that wakeboard's so I can go as long as possible and I probably rode an hour more than I usually do, I guess it could be our pool's finally done, so I swim laps every night.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-14-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
I thought lake Arlington was closed?

Anyway, I've had the same problem the past couple of seasons. I'm close to your age and really didn't get much in the way of exercise other than wakeboarding. I would typically take 2-3 sets each time out, but they would be 5-10 minutes tops for each set. I would get really winded and just plain tired because I was just so out of shape.

About two months ago I bought a knock off of "The Total Gym", you know, the one that Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkly sell. The knock off one I bought was from Weider; it cost a whopping $99. This thing isn't going to make you into a body builder by any means, but it does do a great job of stetching and toning.

I work out on it for 15 minutes everyday and then ride a stationary bike for 15 minutes each day as well. Since starting this routine my endurance while riding has at least doubled. I can ride much longer and also have a bit more arm strength than before which helps in keeping the handle in close.

My friends made fun of me for buying it, but so far it has made my wakeboarding much more enjoyable. Now I just need to start eating right and lose my gut!

Here's a link to the machine I bought. I can't say enough great things about this machine in regards to working alot of the same muscles used in wakeboarding:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1073982&cp=
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-14-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
thanks Richard for the input

I think part of my problem is that I hold my breath sometimes when I try something that I am not relaxed at.....like toe side wake to wake (havent mastered that yet)...it's more of an outta breath thing than a muscle fatigue
and...I guess I'm not very relaxed...because of the time off
or I'm just old and outta shape :-)

anyway
lake Arlington is closed on the south end at the bowman springs ramp

the dam and down the middle have anywhere from 20 to 30 feet of water
....we launch at the Arkansas ramp