Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (erik)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-06-2006, 4:53 AM Reply   
Thinking about a large garage just for the boat. Any ideas on how much something like this would cost? Nothing too fancy, just big enough to put the boat in without dropping the tower, a large bay door, etc. What would this do for the property value? Any ideas? Has anyone done this? Pics?
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-06-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Erik, I built a 30X40 shop just for my boat. I started off just like you are just needing one for my boat then decided it'd be nice to have some extra space for my riding mower. After checking into the cost for a 30X15 I decided to spend the extra $$ to get one like I wanted. Now there will be some questions you need answered before you begin. First would be, do you live in a neighborhood and if so what restrictions do they impose. Some allow aluminum some make you brick the outside and put a shingle roof on the top. If this is the case you're looking at an expensive task. If not, there's three choices you have: metal framed weild, metal framed bolt, or what they call a pole frame. This is 5X5 or 4X4 wood and wood construction framing. After looking at these three choices I choose the pole frame because they use treated wood and it'll last as long as I'm alive. As far as adding value to your property if you choose to concrete the floor it will definitely add value! I wouldn't do anything but concrete but it's another cost. If you run electricity and some plumbing it will boost the value even more. I did electricity and ran pluming through the concrete but haven't ran water to it and probably won't in my situation. I put the 30 part running to the outside of my property and the 40 runs inside my yard. I had two 10X10 doors installed on the front and one 10X10 on the back into my yard. When you do build I'd recommend going with 11X11 or 12X12 doors. My boat tower clears the garage door when completely up by about two-three inches!!! I have about $14,100 in my garage including concrete, electricity, and three garage door openers (must do). I built mine about three years ago so the prices are up since aluminum costs are going up but hope my insight helps you out in your situation.

BTW, I did mine in phases so I could pay cash for it. I had the shop built with the doors installed then had the concrete poured. Then, I waited a year and a half to have the electricity and garage doors installed. This helped out and made it so I could budget for the costs rather than taking a loan for construction.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-06-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Great ideas, Ken.

I figured that if I was going to build a garage big enough for the boat, then in order to add value, I should make it big enough for an RV. I have a 36 X 20 garage with a 12 foot tall door that is 16 feet wide. Most RV's could fit in there, but I did not have space to make it longer for the 40 footers.

My Tige has board racks that are over 10 feet, and many RV's have accessories that make them over 10 feet, so if you can, make yourself a 12 foot door.

Mine is all insulated and stucco'd and the drywall is all finished. I don't even have to winterize! This put the cost at about 35K. I think it will add to the property value as much as you spend on it, and a little more. As far as it being a big investment, I think it won't be a big money maker. It will definitely save on the wear and tear of the boat.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on September 06, 2006)
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
erik -
I finished my boat garage this summer and so far, I am very happy I built the thing. I'm not sure of the property value increase versus cost, but it will absolutely keep the re-sale up on my boat.

Due to HOA rules, I couldn't put a door facing the street, so I was limited to a door facing away at 45 degrees. This also limited me based on lot lines to a 8' door so the building would fit between the set backs and my pool area. The total building is 22' wide with 10' walls, 38' long on one side and 26' long on the other. I left an open ceiling for ventilation, and included fans and electrical over the boat area to dry out the boat. I also left outlets to allow Vacuum and heater options for winter. Total build cost was just under $25k.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-06-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
I really like how you got around the idiotic HOA rules. Did you read the recent thread, with the guy talking about tow vehicles because his doesn't allow PICKUP TRUCKS!?

<sarcasm>
I can also imagine the HOA president driving by after it's complete and thinking what a great rule they have and how that looks so much better than a normal door.
</sarcasm>
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-06-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Flack, I was wondering in another thread why your door was angled. I'm sure it was a hassle, but IMO it looks pretty cool.
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-06-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Flack-very nice set up!!!
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-06-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of mine. it is a 30x30. cost me a bit more than i had originally planned, but i am glad i did it. the tall tower door is PRICELESS!!!! it is a 10w X 12h door. the other is a standard double wide garage door. mine is at a lake house, so i would imagine it will add some value, but like the rest said, it was more for not having to tow the boat. and since i was having it built, dont sell yourself short. you will want storage space!

Upload
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-06-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
I built one for my 247, and even though it's not completely finished, we love it. It's 32' deep and 25' wide. It's SUPER tall with a 15' ceiling. Door is 12ft wide by 14'high, which makes for effortless in/out. It doubles as a game room and has a bath/shower. I live in SoCal and I was thinking that I could get away with spending about $25K on it. HA HA HA! not quite. Even though I had buddies help me and do stuff for reasonable prices, the cost is nearly double.

You might be wondering why so tall.... so that an RV can fit in it if I ever sell my house.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-07-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Here's what I've been trying to finish. I still need sheetrock and cabinets etc. Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    swass            09-08-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
Me likey! I especially like the doors.

HOAs are getting out of #*@#)@ control! What is the rationale behind prohibiting garage doors from facing the street? Damn that's stupid.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-08-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
How is this one for you on the HOA, I store my Boat in My garage. I have to due to my HOA not allowing it outside but they just sent a Letter to everyone Say that you are not allowed to use your Gagare for any type of Storage.....Well if you park a car in your garage isnt that storeing it.....Dumb a$sses
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-08-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Mark, Your garage and boat are both amazing.

I have never lived in a HOA community and hope that I never will. Why would you ever live anywhere that you can not drive a truck or store stuff in your garage. My father-in-law lives in a community and he recieved a letter for leaving his garage doors open too much.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-08-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Crazy thing about the HOA's is that you PAY THEM TO DO THIS..... I understand their use but just thought I'd point this out. My wife wanted to move into a gated community but after reading all the restrictions NO WAY. Oh, and it cost $105/mo for this "service."
Old     (strimble)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
HOA communities definately have some advantages as far as keeping the community nice but some are just out of control.

The one I live in is very relaxed about storing a boat or RV. Really the only thing they enforce is keeping your front yard looking nice, which i think is a good thing.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
Nice garages guys. I wish I had the cash and the room to build one. Oh well
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-16-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Shaun - When are you getting a boat? We need to hook up and do some riding - you motorboating son of a bitch.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
here is my boats new home it is a work in progressUpload
Upload
Upload