Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Here's my story.

Early this week a good friend of mine called me and offered me a smoking deal on her 04 VLX. This boat has everything including the kitchen sink and is probably the nicest Malibu I've ever ridden in. She is more than willing to let the boat go for what she owes on it and that equated to about 10k less than what she could get for it on the open market.

So what's problem you would say???

Today I started creating an add for my boat in my head and as I was doing so the thoughts of all the good times and great days I've had with it started playing out in my mind. I found myself actually getting depressed and feeling kind of sick.

My boat isn't even in the same ball park as the one being offered to me as far as bling and plushness is concerned but I've decided I'm just too attached to her to sell. So here I am after deciding to keep my price point plain Jane Moby feeling happy again.

I'm just wondering is anyone else so attached to their boat that they just can't bring themselves to selling it???
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-04-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
When I sold my DXII my son was pretty upset, even after the new boat got here he just was not feeling it. But after some time he now loves the new one.

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-04-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
Cliff, I felt the same way when I was detailing my 03 Gravity Games LSV getting it ready to sell. And when I was done it looked like new and I really was having 2nd thoughts. Lots of great times in that boat and I was very happy with it. Pressure from the son for a bigger wake is the only reason I moved up. I'm sure when it is time to sell my 06 LSV I will feel the same way. Moomba boats rock.........
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
I think that grey weather and lack of sun is starting to get to you.
Buy the VLX and you can join the club of Dodge and Malibu owners that I am going to start with Jeff
Old    zcarnage            03-04-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
I lost my virginity in the same boat I have today! Learned all the base inverts, pulled friends (and strangers) up for their first time, and have countless stories. So what if my ballast system is a combonation of sand bags wrapped in duct tape and a fat sack holding up the seat... It's OK the 'tower' is only 2 feet higher than the top of the outboard... I don't mind the smell of the engine, and I don't care about the girls who whine about it... I fully appreciate every pull I am offered behind a legit wake boat with a stacked wake, believe me, but carving behind the Glastron on glass... just feels like an extension of my soul...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-04-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Scotty, I am a Dodge owner but will stick with Moomba, sweet boat, huge wake, fully loaded & 20 K less. Don't get me wrong Malibu is my 2nd favorite boat, but not willing to spend the extra $ for the bling.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Randy,
More of inside joke between Cliff, Jeff and myself.
Cliff and I have owned Dodge trucks for a while and Jeff just bought one this week.
Jeff and I bought Malibu's last year and now Cliff is thinking about it.
When I lived in Seattle with those guys we rode on Cliffs Moomba the majority of the time and I think it is a great boat also.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
Oh boy it was sad to see this beast go last fall for some broken paperclips and a pack of chewed gum, but I always remember that getting rid of her leads to bigger and better things...

Upload
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Cliff,

Just by her damn boat. Jeff and I both got new boats and had to say goodbye to the old ones, that is what pictures are for

Old    walt            03-04-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
Cliff,

If you don't want it hook me up !
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-04-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
04 VLX in Cali by chance? Hmmm...What is the rest of the story?? Hope all is well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-04-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
it wouldn't happen to be fisher's boat, would it?
Old    bbaker            03-05-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
how much is "10k less than what she could get for it on the open market"
Old     (aep6475)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
And if it's that good of a deal, why not buy it and sell it to make some money :-)
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Looks like the cat is out of the bag. Yes, it is my boat.

However, I'm in the same boat as Cliff (pun intended). I am just not sure I can let her go either, but I am seriously considering the possibility.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
fisher, noooooooooooo!!!!! don't do it!!!!!!!!
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-05-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Hey Scotty, I'm a Dodge and Malibu ownner. 2005 VLX and 2005 Ram 1500 QC 4x4.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-05-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
Christie, everything is OK then?? You can still ride? Are you thinking of a new boat then?
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
Joe - It was inevitable. I dusted off the old LF Trip today to post it for sale as well. It brought up a lot of old memories of props & telephone poles...hahaha!

Peter - No new boat. Just a change in priorities. Well, that and two pretty messed up knees . How's everything with you?

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-05-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
About the same as you I guess. My back is bad these days, and the knee has always been a problem, but I still get out and ride once in a while. Noel just bought a new boat too :-)

I can not get away from the water, so I just bought all my own scuba gear to dive local and far away warm places. Got my Jeep for the adrenaline rush.

Wishing you the best, and see you and Josh sometime in the future
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
There you go Walt.

If I were you, I'd jump on Fisher's boat before she has a chance to change her mind.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-05-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Cliff, I feel ya. Im sure most people are pretty attached to their boat. Some more than other's. Im all about the next greatest thing and you would think I would be intrested in a new boat some time soon but to be honest I cant see my self getting a new boat for the same reason your thinking about not selling yours. The thought of having to bring up a new boat up to seed with what I have now would be a huge pain. My advice is if it aint broke make it better.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
The end of an era. :-(
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
BTW, regarding this thread, I am not in the least bit attached to "my boat". To me, its simply a tool for having fun on the water with family and friends. I like it to do the job and nothing more.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
But Christie, what's that young ripper gonna do? Hows he gonna be on the pro circuit? I understand your decision though. The soccer, snow and wakeboarding is starting to take a toll on my knees.
Old    mendo247            03-05-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
would i seel my wakeboat for a decent price= absolutely

would i sell the jetboat i grew up in= never!!!
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Chad
2005 V Ride and 2004 Ram 1500 QC 4x4.
It could be time to start our "OWN" club????

Cliff,
I figured it was Fishers boat, just didn't want to say anything
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-05-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
I read the first couple of of sentences and knew it was Christie's boat too.

If I was cutting way back on the use of my boat as Christie has, I would sell it in a heartbeat. You can always get another one, and it certainly isn't appreciating in value. If my new Daughter hates the water, my boat will likely be a down payment on a cabin or something else we can enjoy as a family.

Then I would have to mooch on Evan's boat.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-06-2006, 4:49 AM Reply   
I think anybody that takes good care of their rig gets attached. I know I am always doing something to the boat during the week, and especially right now...pre-season. Once you get over say, 24 hours of labor in your boat, you do get attached. I'm that way with a lot of stuff though....I spent the weekend working on and cleaning up our old 17' 1987 Sea Ray Seville with a 135 OUTBOARD. The thing HAS to go...but after all day Saturday re-bunking the trailer, and cleaning...I took it out with a 6 pack for a "test" run. Stopped in a cove, and relaxed.....lot of memories on that boat. I've tried to sell the idea to my wife that it can be kept for winter riding, add a cheap tower, etc. I was told if I want to keep "pimping" the Tige....the Sea Ray goes. Compromise!