Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
hey,

i was just wondering...if you use washing up liquid insted of some fancy binding lube does it do anything to your bindings?

cheers
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-23-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
never tried because friends have told me that it somehow screws them up.
just get the lube, its like 10 bucks and lasts forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and you get the point. or just get some cwb hinge tech zeus or torq's!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-23-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
I use sunlight dish soap. Some people use shaving cream. Use something biodegradable. Dish soap also lasts forever and ever and ever etc without the price tag. I lube up my bindings with it every time I get in them and my board is a community board. Never had a problem with binding deterioration, including on a well used (by Canadian standards) slalom ski that I have had for 12 years.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
CWB Zeus boots don't need it. Hinge Tech all the way!! The detergents in dish soap dry out the oils in the neoprene. If you are using the newer LF stuff I'd guess it wouldn't affect it the same way.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-23-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
It rots the rubber in you’re bindings and kills the lesser spotted great crested newt.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-23-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
I have been using Palmolive dish soap since 1998. I have never had a problem with the neoperne drying out. Lets face it - It is only on the bindings for maybe 30 seconds before it is washed off in the water. And it is so much cheaper that the binding lube. But like Heavy said the newer bindings now are so easy to get in and out of you dont need lube anyways. To each his own.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Washing up liquid? Do you mean liquid soap? The squirt they use these days is gone as soon as it meets water, no residue. Soap is a bad idea. I met a guy at the lake who had coated his bindings in vaseline. My son and I had a good laugh over that, in more ways than one...
Would you put your foot in there? LOL!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-23-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
Bruce, that's a scary image you just discrbed
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-23-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
You're right Bruce. Vaseline is a scary thing. Heard there's a new vid ready to be released called "Broke Back Boarder" with vaseline being one of the stars. Who said that? Seriously, liquid dish soap for 99 cents that washs out in 20-30 seconds. You're not worried about cleaning up the lake are you?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-23-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
Ivory here for years. Diluted about 5 to 1. Doesn't hurt the neoprene at all. I've also given a pull to a couple guys that had the bindings coated with Vasoline.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
CWB Zeus all the way. Only cost about 300 dollars and you can get them at your local pro shop.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-23-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
"only" 300 dollars ?
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-23-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
Support the one's who support the sport "NEWT JUICE"

Zach
Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-23-2006, 10:38 PM Reply   
well if it helps the torqs are 200$ and easier the the zeus to get into
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
regular washing soap may or may not detiorate the binding material. When it does it mostly discolors the binding at most. If so it will be after a couple years and by that time you'll be ready for a new set. The main reason I would buy the binding slime is because it dissipates in the water quicker. With hand soap or other products the soap doesnt dissipate in the water unless you swish your foot around in the binding for a long while. If you dont get it all when you get in the water when you jump the wake there is a higher chance of a foot coming out of the binding. I have done it....not fun.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
You could get rid of the bindings alltogether and skate
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-24-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
i use 50 cent soap from a gas station
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-24-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Here is one using soap.
image/bmpUpload
Oh Crap.bmp (84.7 k)
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-24-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
Sorry you have to click on it to see picture,
dont no what I did wrong.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
Anything with a detergent will cause a similar problem. Two approaches to binding lube: Glycerine or surfactant. Both work and don't have hang over. Surfactants are thinner and you use less. Personally, I use Moose Juice.

(Message edited by boarditup on February 24, 2006)
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-24-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
As much as I want to support the company who supports the sport, what about the company who supports my mortgage payments? I think I will continue to use dish soap that costs less than a buck and lasts all season long.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
There is no right or wrong here. It is a matter of personal preferance. It is your money, body, and gear. At tournaments, I really don't like the sudsy bathtub near the starting dock, though. If you do use soap - you can cut it 4:1 with water and put it into a spray bottle. Still works great, but puts less on so you can work it out faster. I think that is safer - but your call.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-24-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
I got a good laugh from that pic
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-24-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Pick up some ToeJam, it's all natural EPA approved, good for bindings & the water. Plus it smells nice...

I found them on the web www.toejam.org
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-24-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Apple Suave SHampoo! $.99 at the grocery, Smells GREAT, works great! And you can wash your hair before heading into the office after you ski!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-24-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
I dont use anything. Once you get all that hair pulled off of the top of your feet it is all good.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-24-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
I lube my bindings with body fluid. ok maybe not, but I have used dish soap and never seem to have problems.

(Message edited by jhertz27 on February 24, 2006)
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-24-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
i think that whole soap detiorates your bindings was made up by binding industry. but when i bought my temets i bought some duck butter as well. But i think soap is fine to use.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-24-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
I'm a Palmolive man! By the time you get in the water, empty the bladder, tightnen the rope and say "hit it".....it's usually all gone.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-24-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Now I dont need any lube, but when I did, I bought a very big bottle of chamomile shampoo for $2, dilluted it, put it in a spray bottle and it worked perfectly. Cheap, lasts and washes off quickly. Never had any problem with it damaging the bindings. Plus, you can shower immediately after boarding!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Neoprene can be broken down by detergents. The glues that hold together the bi-layer bindings can also be broken down by detergents. It takes a long time in most cases, but can be quicker if there was not as much glue used during production. It varies. The worst case is to have detergents in the pores of the neoprene that slowly break it down - especially if exposed to sunlight. Dish soap and laundry soap is relatively full of detergents. Shampoo is much milder - especially baby shampoo. If you replace binding every couple of years, you probably won't have a problem. I have seen dried out and cracked binding from soap and sunlight and bindings with no damage from years of use. Do what you think is best.
Old    bens            02-24-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Simple Green. Biodegradable and you can clean your boat with it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
Do NOT use Simple Green on any neoprene, vinyl, or polyurethane. It is great on the bilge, hull, and carpet. Do not use on seats, foam, or neoprene. Several people have found out the hard way. For use on vinyl, follow the mfgr directions. Usually a laundry soap works great with a Magic Eraser for the spots.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I use Herbal Essence Body Wash from Costco mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Works great. Is cheap. Is biodegradable. Smells nice. Cleans humans and dogs too. No binding issues after years of use.

See the spray bottle in my home brew soap/cup/flag holder...

soap_cup_flag
Old     (diddy666)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-24-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
what about the fish. do you want to swim in bath water?
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-24-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
SURE IT IS FUN SWIMMING IN BATH WATER AND THE SOAP GIVES THE FISH A BUZZ.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-24-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
The fish are all good....if the many many many older boats that leak gas and oil into the water haven't killed them all, they're gonna make it. Down South here...for every nice new boat in the water, there's 3 or 4 junkers. Not to mention whatever else is dumped in via sewer systems, street run-off from metro areas, and industrial polutions. That may be why they have such better flavor!
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-24-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
i can relate to foxrep, except for every nice new boat there are 9 or 10 junkers lol. on the lake i go to, our boat is about the nicest except for one or 2 tige's which are out every now and again. all the other boats are pontoons, bass boats, or jon boats with lawnmower engines on the back lol, so i guess you could call it a redneck's paradise! good fishing too! although i have no idea how they sit there all day in the summer! i have to jump in about every few minutes!!!!!!!!
and yeah, until the fish complain, keep using whatever u want, its your decision, i just stay safe bacause i dont wanna f*** up my stuff! sorry i meant to say expensive stuff!
but as soon as im ready for new bindings, im getting torq's or preferably zeus'!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
"I have seen dried out and cracked binding from soap and sunlight and bindings with no damage from years of use."

I've got a pair of Liquid Fource bindings that the wraps are cracked and falling apart, even though they were almost never used and kept inside away from the sun.

OTOH, I've got bindings that are many years old and have been used and soaped up alot and look just fine. I've also used soap on binding since the 70's and haven't really seen any correlation with damage and soap use. The only thing I don't like about soap is that it dries the skin on my feet whereas binding lube doesn't.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-24-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
I used to use Palmolive but heard it breaks down the bindings, My husbands ripped - don't know if that was the cause. Now we use Gel shaving cream. Works great. Haven't heard anything bad about it yet.?.
Tanya
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-24-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
We have been using shaving cream for years,(Barbasol foam .99 cents) works good and washes out of your bindings fast so your not slipping around in them for the first trick.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-24-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
Dawn 10% Water 90%. I've always ridden L.F. Ultras. Have tried various " Lubes & Butters" and always have problems. Have found that if I just shake my feet alot waiting for the slack to get out of the rope I dont slide around in them with the dish stuff.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-25-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Slightly diluted Dawn soap. That's a bunch of crap about soap wrecking your bindings. Liquid soap is cheap and can be bought anywhere and provides the fish with a much needed bath.