Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-12-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Last Thursday we had an interesting encounter with a sea lion. While one of the guys was filling up the fat sac this sea lion poped up out of the water like a few inches away from where he was holding the pump in the water. The guy who i won't mention seemed surprised and said hey you guys look. He looked at each one of us not in a aggresive way, but seemed like he was surprised kind of like this sorry look on his face. Then he wen't back too the platform and tried too hop on it, and decided it wasn't a good idea and swam around the boat a few times. Im wondering if the pump sound attracted him. By the way it was between Rivers end and Tracy Oasis.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
They are very friendly creatures and hang out with divers all the time. You can touch and "play" with them :-) Though the males can be aggressive.

I thought one was a log on the Delta and went to ollie it. Turned out to be alive and was playing with a fish, that it threw my direction. Surprised the heck out of me!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-12-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
That is one of the highlights of our trip to the delta. We thought it was a dog the first time and then we realized it was a seal and then the next morning one popped up right by our houseboat window, it was awesome!!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
Its scary when a 1000# creature pops up a few feet from you after a fall and oyu are waiting for the boat to come back around. I have seen them there the last few years, and never had a problem.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-12-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Dennis, we were hangin out with a Sea Lion yesterday at railroad. He was big!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-12-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Sounds like if you have a few fish you could get some great ballast.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-12-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
He had the funniest look on his face and looked at each one of us. He looked about 4 feet long , and 200 plus pounds. Threw him some wheat thins and a peanut butter sandwich and thats when he decided to leave. I would not want to mess with one. I remember i hooked one with a live sardine. He striped my tuna reel 100 yard in 10 seconds . Felt like there wasn't any drag. Poped my line and barked at me . Yes i agree they are very nice animals.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Seals are pretty chill, be careful of otters though; they will tear you up.

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
If seals can make it that far,what else can?

*wicked laugh*
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Ummm...Humpback whales?

I know Bull sharks are often seen slashing the surface too. Just like in other rivers.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Yhea standard procedure for us Delta Locals. The run BIG on Old River. They chase the striper in from the antioch area(Bay) and a little warmer water. We have never had any problems from them. Saw a HUGE one with Jrod on Sat.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-13-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
hahahha JROD,

We saw him too, he was over by Bullfrogs when we ran into em...

and DAMMMMMMMMMMMMM was tide high - I have been riding / driving in the delta for 15 years, activley the last 6 and all I can say is I am glad I went sloooooow under the bridge - LOL!

Lzy
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-13-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yep seen em quite often in the winter, not so much in the summer though.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-13-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Matts right about those otters, they can be pretty aggressive depending on the time of year. Anyone who visits Shasta and sees otters should definatley steer clear of them.
Old    jetgofish            02-13-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Actually they chase the stripers around, he's recently been here in Disco, came into Marlin Bay on Friday ... though this one might be different, 6 feet long ... they hang out here all winter then migrate back to the ocean! Very awesome, very friendly!
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-13-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
hahahah by rivers??? we named him simon.. hes cool... he jumps on our dock and almost sinks it... dam he would be a nice fat sac..... hmmmmmmmm hahaha
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-13-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Interestingly all the sea lions are males that come down to disco bay. A lot of biologists think its the increased water exports which, for some reason, attract the stripers which in turn bring more sea lions around. They are also protected by the marine mammal protection act of 1972 against basically anything which distrubs them, but I don't see any of you guys/gals trying to attach a sea lion.

Late
dc
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-16-2006, 11:13 PM Reply   
Here's our local having lunch, or just playing with his food.

It's funny how many birds follow this guy around.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-17-2006, 5:55 AM Reply   
That's really cool. Anyone else have more pictures?

All we have around here is dead fish.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Nice shots! Check out the sea gull in the top right of the first shot, getting ready to swoop in and try for a scrap, or maybe he is pooping on that old American Skier.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-17-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
There are several Sea Lions out on the Delta, however, the big one that everyone is seeing, my kids named him "Jimbo". They do not want to be in the water when he is around. Ryan, maybe Jimbo and Simon are related?
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-17-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
yep simon is HUGE!!!!!maybe 8 feet in length and about a million pounds.. he sunk our dock just by jumping on it....

its soo cool to see him fish . he'll go down and about 10 sec later he has a huge stripper, then he sits on the beach and eats it.. man hes soo cool

simon the silly seal hahahahaha jimbo the giant jello seal??? hahaha

hes cool
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
They arent easy to get... Heres a few i found in my computer. I think these are from Dec of 02

Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
thats pretty crazy, ive heard storys about the ones down here (Ventura) that there pretty mean. Knocking people off there boards in the surf and stuff. Nothing really serious but they just probably want to ride the waves.