Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-11-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
I just found this today, posted January 2006. http://www.sdcwa.org/infra/pdf/SanVicenteDamRaise/ReservoirClosureFlyer.pdf

Construction of dam between 2008-2013, another 2-5 years to fill the lake back up. So we're looking at the lake opening between 2015-2018. For some reason, we thought the closure was only going to be a few years, not over 10!!

Just wondering what everybody's plans are while the lake is closed...
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
I'm moving back to Dallas :-)...I'll have 5 lakes within 20 minutes of my house...

I'm am moving...but it's b/c I'm graduating, although San V. closing would probably be devastating enough for me to move.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
From what I was told, when they drain San V, they plan on pumping the water into El Capitan. May not be great, but at least we will still have a lake here in town. Also, looking at a chart, El Cap has more surface area (larger lake) than San V if it is filled to capacity. Right now, and for the past few years, it has been like 20% or less of capacity. If they fill it, it may be pretty nice.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-11-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
That's good news, but any idea if they will still keep the same limit of boats? Isn't it 40 right now?
Old    akman            02-12-2006, 12:29 AM Reply   
So after this summer season it looks like there will be no more Thursday/Friday lake usage until 2013....

El Cap may have more surface area but 1/3 of that is closed to PWC's only, the back finger is closed to skiing and wakeboarding because it is too narrow even when filled.

5 boats make the main body useless even if everyone drives perfect.

They don't limit use to different user days like San V, it's open for fishing and water contact on all days that it is open. If they close San V all the regulars there will start going to El Cap.

San Diego recently closed 2 local lakes for fishing due to lack of funds, making water even more valuable for all end users.

The downside of El Cap is the road leading to it is NARROW and not very tower friendly if two boats are passing at the same time going opposite directions. The trees overhang the road quite a bit making it sketchy when another vehicle is along side of you.

Parking at El Cap sucks at best once the lot is full.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-12-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
el cap is good for those on dawn patrol. during the day, wind blows up the PWC corridor and makes terrible conditions. the back and longest arm was open for water contact activities last time i was there.

if it were up to me they would refill and reopen lake morena. now THAT would be sweet.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
too bad they don't pump the water into Elsi. It might turn it from deep green to pastel green...freshen it up a bit
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
They ought to pump some into Sweetwater Reservoir. That's in my backyard. :-)

Boy, it's going to suck not having San V open!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-13-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
Daniel, moving back to Dallas for the lakes? They all still stay pretty crowded from what I hear. I guess a crowded lake is better than a closed lake. I used to love living in Dallas but I sure don't miss the lakes. Out here in NE Georgia, I'm more than happy with the Tugaloo channel of Lake Hartwell. It's never too crowded and only about 25 miles from my driveway to our usual (and free) boat ramp (seems like it was 24.7 on the trip odometer).

I guess you could always go boarding down the Trinity if you don't want a crowd :-) (You might want to wash off real good afterwards though.)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-13-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Melisa,

You now know why my 211 is rigged for Salt.

-TSO
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-13-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
Tyler,

OK, It's a deal. I will winterize-summerize- winterize mine for a few years, and drag my crew (you know most of the girls) out on your ride. We will keep your tank full, and provide plenty of entertainment. BTW - I will be purchasing a paintball gun for the Mission Bay PWC club!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-13-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
Tyler,

OK, It's a deal. I will winterize-summerize- winterize mine for a few years, and drag my crew (you know most of the girls) out on your ride. We will keep your tank full, and provide plenty of entertainment. BTW - I will be purchasing a paintball gun for the Mission Bay PWC club!
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-13-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
LOL Buzz! Don't forget the pole too!

Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
When I was at the San Diego Boat Show, I heard that there was a possibility of opening Lower Otay Reservior to Wakeboarding after San Vicente closes. I hope it happens.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-16-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
There is no telling around this place. There is always talk, and I have also heard about Otay, but won't believe it until it happens. Hopefully they will do an alternative to San V.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-16-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
...look on the bright side, remember all those items you dropped in the water...now you have a chance to get them back!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-16-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
i think they need to throw a ramp at loveland, open otay, and refill morena. i think lake morena would be awesome in the summer. you could camp, board, party, etc. i really know how to dream don't i?
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-16-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
I think we should start talking to the rangers and staff at San V about the alternatives. They may not know anything yet but if we all keep asking, they will relay our desire for an alternative to the higher-ups. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-16-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I just sent them e-mail inquiring. I will let you know what the response is.
Old    akman            02-16-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
I grew up right around the corner from lower otay as a kid, there are way too many low stumps for my liking. The sides are low so bounce back would be minimal but it would be a big washing machine after just a few boats got on it.

It was built much the same way Diamond Valley was...with the intent to have fishing, water-contact, family use. It has nice bathrooms a nice ramp...low and behold the fisherman made a stink and so did the environmentalist and it was never opened for it's intent.

With the recent closing of 2 local lakes the fisherman are going to lobby hard to keep water contact at a MINIMUM.

My gut feeling is they will open El Cap and run it much the way they do San V. The problem there is the wind blows right up the jet ski corridor and blows it out by early morning almost daily.