Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    low_key_wake            02-09-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
So the mid 90's sport nautique is the same hull as the sn 2001, right. So the ski nautique open bow(snob) and the nautique excell(v drive) are different hull designs. Right? Has anyone riden any or all of these, how do they stack up? Thanks.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-10-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
The mid 90s sport nautique hull is not the same as the sn2001. The 2001 hull ran from 82-88(9?) Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the barefoot nautique hull went to the v-drive hull and then later became the excel. The SNOB was completely different from all three. I have only ridden behind the 2001 hull but from what I have read on here I would rank them from 2001, Barefoot/Excel v-drive, and then the SNOB.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old     (vec)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-10-2006, 2:06 AM Reply   
This might not be what you´re asking, but we used to have a '89 sn2001 and the hull was a lot different from my friends '87 barefoot nautique 2001. The wake is even steeper and sometimes washy behind the barefoot.

I still love both wakes, but you need to get used to them.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Early 90's brought the TSC (total surface control) hull which minimized the spray and reduced the wake a lot. A 90's SN can throw a decent wake, but the weight takes up a lot of the room inside. It will not come close to approaching the 210 hull though.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-10-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Eric, I have to disagree on the statement "It will not come close to approaching the 210 hull though" regarding a 90's Nautique. I will agree that a lot of the room is taken up on the inside (cabin) of the boat. I have a 95 Sport Nautique and loaded down it is close} to a 210 in shape, size and hardness, once again... not as big but close.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-10-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
LOKI - mid 90's Sport hulls are nothing like the 2001s. The Sport (21.5ft or current 216) and SNOB (20.5ft or current 206) and Excell (v-bottom all the way through) are totally differant. Sport hull was shared by SSport until 97 (?) then changed to TSC hull. SSport hull went on unchanged to be a 210 hull (still unchanged).

eric - I would agree you take up room with weight but disagree with it not coming close to a 210. It's the same hull and with enough weight you get the same wake. It' took 2Klbs plus to get there but my old 94 Sport (same hull as a 210) could produce a 210 wake with enough weight.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I think you guys got it wrong...the 196 is not the same hull as a sport and I believe what Loki as asking is about that model, which was 19'6" even in the open bow during the early and mid 90's. It is a hull designed for the flattest wake possible above a certain speed. Even at wakeboard speeds 18-22 mph, I would need to add 1500-2000lbs of weight and people to my 92 SN and it would not approach the size or shape of a 210.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
I think Eric was talking about the Ski Nautique with SN. You guys have Sport Nautiques. They area completly different hull.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-10-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 196 and the SNOB (206) are not the same either. There could be some confusion about what loki was asking but there are several models through the 90's.
196/ski nautique-closed bow 3 event boat, ultimate slalom boat IMHO. 19.5ft
206/ski natique-open bow SNOB(ski nautique open bow) 20.5ft
Sport Nautique-21.5 open bow crossover. Shared same hull as Super Sport through 97.

loki-"So the mid 90's sport nautique is the same hull as the sn 2001, right".

no, they are not the same.

So the ski nautique open bow(snob) and the nautique excell(v drive) are different hull designs. Right?"

yes, they are very differant.

eric - maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone saying they were they same. Read my post. They are differant.

Anyway, hope we answered loki's question.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
TSC wasn't introduced until 97 in the SN. However there was a design change in 90-96 Ski and these boats supposedly won't produce the huge wake of the sport/SS or the 2001. However, most owners have said its still a good wake with some sacs....just not "pro-level" (whatever that means).
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Righto gang...up until about 99 I think the SNOB was the exact same hull as the SN. Someone at CC decided to add an extra half foot to the open bow version so it is a slightly streched hull but mainly designed for flat wakes. Sports, Super sports, and Ski's of the early to mid nineties bear almost nothing in common as far as hull and wake potential. That's the point I was trying to make and it seemed to me that notidad and TR were arguing otherwise.

I own a Ski, mostly because of size restrictions at my lake. Does it throw a wake I like...sure. Would I like it if it were bigger...absolutely! However I also am not not allowed to add ballast, so I need to add people...which I don't really have to get more weight.

Therefore, if someone asked me what wake boat to get from this age range I would not recommend a ski, unless they had constraints like mine, or a seriously limited budget. If they had the means to do more I would say a Sport or Super or perhaps a nice excel or barefoot. 2001 would also be a great model if size and cash were limiting factors.

Eric
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-10-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
For closed bow boats the 2001 hull is the one with a squared off transom ~82-89 still designed to make a wake for trick skiing = good boarding wake, 90-96 pre TSC (less wake, added spray releif pockets and slightly different angles) but still not the same as the 2001 as noted above, 97-99 TSC 1 (very small wakes), 00-05 TSC 2 (even smaller). I might be off a bit on the transition years but it's fairly close.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-10-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Eric- it's all good. Second that. If you're on a limited budget, the best for the money is a Super Sport, then a toss up between the 2001 & the Sport. Can't say about the Excell, I've only barefooted behind them.