Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old    shoeish            10-23-2005, 11:46 PM Reply   
So, does anybody wakeboard around Yuma, AZ? Are there even any places to go?

If you could move anywhere just for wakeboarding, where would it be?

Colorado is sucking right now. :-)
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-24-2005, 12:06 AM Reply   
there's a few places. i go every summer just about every other weekend, or more. there's ferguson, senator's wash and there's a few spots down by squaw lake...senator's is usually deep enough but you need experience on the river. it's pretty shallow. lotsa sandbars. it seldom reaches 10 feet deep.

the scene has died out there for the winter i'm sure, the water is getting pretty chilly pretty fast. the air is comfortable but the colorado river water is getting frigid.

why yuma? that scene is more get totally drunk at the sandbar...go back to the house(or trailer), eat, go to the bar and get drunk..,it is like a mini havazoo. not many pros come outta there. mostly because we're all to drunk to progress in the afternoon.
Old    shoeish            10-24-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
That actually sounds pretty ideal. :-)

So are the lakes pretty nice down there? Windy? Busy?

How far from town are those lakes? How is living in the area other than drunkenness?
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-24-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Here is some riding in Phoenix area
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=16975
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-24-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
there is almost always morning glass but it starts getting busy around 9-10. then you can pretty much not count on riding until the late afternoon. i must warn that the lakes are small(in comparison) but it looks a lot like the delta as far as reeds go.

the city of yuma is no metropolis so get ready for that. lots of agriculture.

the spots are on senator's wash road and off fisher's landing road to mapquest 'tm.

(Message edited by madchild1 on October 24, 2005)
Old    shoeish            10-25-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
What are the chances of weekeday riding, after 5:00 or so on weekdays? (when there is enough light afterwords in the summer).

Thanks for the info, I'm really seriously moving down to the nice weather. Why I live in Colorado when my location is independant of my job I'm not sure.

Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-25-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
it gets dark pretty soon after 5. not much riding time.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-25-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
I too ride out of Yuma a lot during the summer (I live in San Diego). Keep in mind that it is hotter then hell in Yuma in the summer. My father lives in Las Vegas and Yuma makes Vegas feel chilly! :-)

~J.
Old    rdizzle            10-25-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
theres plenty of light after 5pm DURING summer till about 8pm. but after and before summer, sunset is about 530-6ish.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-25-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
I just wnat to know how the heck you came up with Yuma to move too? Were you sitting at a Luby's and overheard some nice blue haird lady talking about moving there for the winter?

I think Yuma's population grows by 100,000+ durring the winter.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-25-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
I think Yuma's population grows by 100,000+ durring the winter.

i think it grows TO 100,000+ in the winter...that being said, i have never in my life seen so many old people.
Old    shoeish            10-26-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
Haha, my roommate got offered a job out there, fresh from her master's degree.

I was thinking about following her down to the warmth, since I telecommute anyway.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
I was thinking about following her down to the warmth, since I telecommute anyway.

Ha ha, I like an understatement! Yuma is darn hot, not warm. It's usually a couple of degs over Phoenix, and Phx is pretty toasty in the summer.

Pete
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-27-2005, 1:27 AM Reply   
look at it this way,

when not on the water:

you go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car. then you get out of your air conditioned car and go into an air conditioned office. then you go to lunch at an air conditioned restaurant and so on.

it's really not that bad.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-27-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
Another way to look at it, you only deal with the heat for three months during the summer. The rest of the year the weather is great!

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USAZ0275_f.html

Would you rather deal with three months of summer heat or three months of winter snow and ice? (I live in San Diego where I don't have to deal with either, but I pay a high price to do so.)

~J.
Old    shoeish            10-27-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
I guess those three months are just "winter." Stay inside and all is well. The rest of the 9 months will rule.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
Another way to look at it, you only deal with the heat for three months during the summer. The rest of the year the weather is great!

I agree - 88 in Phx today, I'm wearing t shirt & shorts watching news reports of loads of snow on the west coast

Pete
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-27-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Hey can you guys stop telling people how great the weather is here. Getting too crowded as it is. Weather sucks. Always hot and windy. Water is always chop except for around Dec-Jan (no lie) and traffic is hell. Snow birds drive down here barely able to see over the steering wheel. And I couldnt get a 3rd today.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-27-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
I agree with you 100% Matt.Sorry I couldnt get out today.I dont leave phoenix until 4ish and like you said the traffic SUCKS
Old    alanp            10-28-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
hey i live in yuma i ride pretty much year round. send me an email. rsgtrman@yahoo.com">prsgtrman@yahoo.com
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-28-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
It is about time Alan, for you to chime in. How's the academy going? Still haven't heard anything about a return visit to Yuma in the near future.
Old    alanp            10-28-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
haha jim, i just dont have the time to mess around on here as much while im here.
Old    penny4urthots            10-31-2005, 3:45 AM Reply   
Ahhh gotta love ol' Yuma! I used to ride all winter down there when I was still in the produce game. Hehee when ur bored and a long way from home you'd be surprised what Yuma has to offer for riding spots. Actually a winch would straight up RULE down there.

2 words, Colorado Backwater!!!!!