Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    fodreafatpants            10-05-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
I live in Indiana so wakeboarding now is getting harder and harder. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I had a dry suite but no suck luck. I was wonderin what are some things I can do for the off season to keep prime for next season. I thought about snowboarding? Also, skateboarding till we got some powder. Are either of these real great ideas or will they teach me some abd ahbits I don't want to transfer over? Any advice would be great and much appreciated. Thanks
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-05-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
Personally I snowboard in the winter as do a lot of the pros. I am from Chicago and in the same boat as you. But when I can't hit the slopes I have an Indo Board. A balancing board,there are plenty makers of them. I use them as part of my workouts in the winter to keep my core muscles in shape. Makes getting comfortable on the water a lot easier come spring.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-05-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
you get powder in indiana?

www.wakecoupons.com
Old    fodreafatpants            10-05-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
So, do you think snowboarding is fun and worth the start up $? I only have about 200$ I would be able to invest in it (gonna try and get a LF fish or Subjekt this off season) It is kinda flat here but we have a small park about an hour away. Is riding down just normal hills fun at all and how hard is it to make jumps to pop off of? Thanks again
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-05-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Yeah I stayed away from that one. We do have some mad ice slicks here in IL. Fallings a b*tch.
Old    fodreafatpants            10-05-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
We get some yea I live in the north eastern part about an hour and a half north of indianapolis so we get a fair ammout of snow usually.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-05-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
You can get a decent setup for about that, IMO especially for what you are doing. ANd I am sure I will get berated for this one but look on ebay for a used one just to get you through the season. And I just ride down normal hills. I just do it to keep a board under my feet until spring. I will say it is different from wakeboarding. Very little effort to move, not near edging on a wakeboard but same muscles still apply and staying in shape is key...for me anyway. As for the jumps....at our ski hill they don't allow any building but have some already set up just for snowboarders and a couple I guess "rails".
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
Stationary Bike and Weights, keeps you in shape and it also gives you something to do!
Old    fodreafatpants            10-05-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
this is the setup I was lookin at I have no idea if it is good or not?

http://evogear.com/productdetail.asp?pn=939
(joyride bindings)

http://evogear.com/productdetail.asp?pn=1415&sp=2223&t=i&i=50952
(K2 Galaxy Board used)

http://evogear.com/productdetail.asp?pn=1070
(airwalk free ride boots)
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-05-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
it should work for a beginner. every winter i want ot get new snow stuff but i just can't justify the investment. in 04 all of my gear was replaced w/ brand new stuff, it was pricey...like 1500 bucks worth. i like wakeboarding more now, so almost all of my money goes towards that. it's even more expensive in the long run...more equipment=even more money
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-05-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
Hanging on to the season as long as possible here in Ohio. Just started the wakeboarding this year, but will do what I always have for slalom. Work on back shoulders and core strength. Take an old ski or board handle to the gym. You can hook it to a lot of the cable machines and mimic some movements. As long as you don't mind the stares from people wondering what the $%#* you are doing. Also plyometrics for leg strength and balance.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
The 'off season'. What's that?

Signed all AZ wakeboarders.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-05-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
Agreed Peter what is the off season all about, we ride almost year around in Texas, and we do alot of skateborin, snowbordin as well as wakebordin and wakeskatin. As long as a BOARD is involved then its all good!! IMO. As well as alot of pro riders like to Skate Surf Snowboard ECT. RIDE A BOARD OR DIE. is the way I look at it.
Old    byerly137pro            10-05-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
Too cold for wakeboarding(no wetsuit or drysuit,lack of $), not cold enough for snowboarding. Fall weather and no board sports make Alex go something something....crazy?....don't mind if I do(Simpsons).
Old    fodreafatpants            10-06-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
I guess I can always try skating till some snow falls I have a deck in my room that has beenc ollecting dust for about a year. Where do you snowboard in TX?
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
Have yet to throw the rubber on in NC.Its staying pretty warm so far.We just need the rain as the lakes are really low.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
Nathaniel, we go to New Mexico and Colorado to snowboard, its not to far, and well worth it. Colorado rips. Get a good downhill skateboard and carve down some hills, its sick as well.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-06-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
snowboarding will help you with your balance on the wakerboard and is almost as fun, except for the cold weather, lots of the same muscles are used in both. i bought a $100 board at a ski show and boots for $20 about 5 years ago and still use them today. you can't board on a sled hill though, you have to go to a ski resort, and thats where the cost comes in. i ride on a little hill ski place in cleveland called brandywine, it cost me about $165 a year and i get to go one time each week for 4 hours