Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
Has anyone read through the latest WBM. Is it just me or is there some animosity towards Phillip Soven particulary his comments at the X-games. He only got the back page in the "photo' issue and the caption was quite a dig on him. Does he just not get much respect because he is for the most part a "contest only" rider?
Old     (brandon_lee)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
That, and the fact that he copies a whole lot of Danny's tricks, such as the nuclear whirly, blind pete, etc.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
That is what I thought was so great about the back page pic. "Doing what he does best Danny's Blind Pete". So is he not really respected among other riders? I am just getting into wakeboarding and curious what peoples opinions are? He obviously talks big.....and then comes up lame on his double up.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-27-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
you gotta give phillip some respect. dude does kill it. switch everything, and I don't know too many other riders doing whirly-dicks.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
Absolutely. His section in Relentless is insane. I just wanted to know what the pros think of him. No doubt the kid has the skills.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
a whirly 7!!!!!! how many here can do that..

and i can do a backroll..... i copy almost everyone then brandon, more to the point who cares.... and for danny, i have seen his 900 way too much.... shut up the dude kicks ass ...
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
Being new to the sport even a backroll is amazing to me. All I can do is faceplant...a lot. The kid just kills it so why no pub? I would love to see some pics or a sequence of the whirley 7.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-27-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ewww, he copied Danny's trick. WAAAH.

Maybe, they all got their panties in a wad over their at WBM or sumthin.

The Soven's have spawned a little wakeboarding army so the veterens better get used to seeing them do "their" tricks. Pfft.

Keep the stoke Adam.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
That's not Danny's trick. He may have been to first to land it but so what.

I think that is Soven's way of saying, "big deal, I can do that too."

How many guys do blind petes?

From what I understand he is not the first to do a whirly 7, but he is the only one doing a whirly dick.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
who names the tricks? ...is what i want to know

my $.02, you don't "own" a trick if you were the first to land it, especially if others can land it as well...
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
I agree about the names And why Pete Rose? Maybe he invented it. I heard Charlie Hussle can kill it.
Old     (brandon_lee)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
I guess ignorance is bliss. GOOOO FROGGY!
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-27-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
That is almost a direct quote from Phillip himself, and it came back to bite him a little. I'm gonna guess he'll think about what he says a little more. It definitely isn't something that came from Danny. He is a super nice and respectful guy.
The Pete Rose came from Byerly when he was learning it because he was always doing the forward slide on the falls.
As far as seeing Danny's 900 way too much, I don't really know about that. Everyone does the same trick A LOT! And, which 9 would you be talking about, toeside, heelside, switch heelside? Yeah, I guess I'm tired of all those too. They are pretty lame...especially the way he does them, all big and clean.
Old     (whirlynuke02)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
ok, i would say im a little bias having met phil at owc, but i would say even though hes an amazing rider and and all, hes really full of himself. im not sure if hes like that all the time, like i said i met him once, but if he is, it really doesnt give a good public or professional image. None of us really know him personally, so for all we know he could have a bad impression on wbm or other pros.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-27-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
it isnt that he copied his tricks, he copied his run, trick for trick exactly
Travis, and grabbed, what terrible style

(Message edited by lfxstar on September 27, 2005)
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
Travis: I must say that is the first post that has cracked me up for a while....thanks for the laugh
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
kyle wat did u do at 16?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-27-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
Soven is at that age. I don't blame him. Think about how you were when you were 16.

As for seeing Danny's 9 too much, I don't think can happen, but this is from a guy who rewinds wakeboard DVD's and watches certain tricks in slo-mo, over and over and over and over.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 9:25 PM Reply   
i think im gonna wear out my copy of prepop....right around bonifay/harf's section
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-27-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
But the nerve of the guy, just so many 9's I cant take it. And BIG and Clean, wheres the humantiy!

I get along with Phillip ok and yes he's cocky but its not like he's serious about it. I think you'd have to be cocky for being teased so much.

Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
There is attitude all over the sport, it practically thrives on the competative nature of the people who participate. It drives everything, even down to equipment sales. I have been fortunate enough this year to meet several pros and I have to say that none of them were jerks. All of them appeared to me, to be funny, laid back, and kind people. Nobody made me feel bad because I can only go wake to wake and throw 180's as opposed to other more advanced tricks.

What you see in magazines are little "soundbites" or bits of a conversation with people who are under 20 and little experience with reporters and how "celebrity" undermines them. I used to think the same about Dallas, but have begun to think that in a couple of years she'll get it.

Plus remember all those years when Phil was Froggy and was the little kid on tour. Maybe he is just claiming some of the courtesy he deserves as one of the better riders on tour?

Eric
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
BTW that was a pretty cool looking X-star with the silver flake and black? Is that sort of gel still available or was that a one year shot? Who's boat is it I wonder?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-28-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Hey Eric Check out the thread "Ryan and his new x-star". Wonderful thread, hours of entetainment or should it be resentment.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
I don't get it Adam? I didn't say "hey check out my cool new Xstar" just asked a simple question.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-28-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
now now boys save it for the "Ryan and his new x-star" thread that i wont even bother reading because its too damn long...and full of bullsh**.....
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-28-2005, 11:46 PM Reply   
get used to it. wakeboarding is one hugh copy cat assed trend. from board graphics, ad ideas, even the foodcourt gangster image. be yourself do what you wanna do. man i am so bummed everyone riding a wakeboard copied tony finn. are all losers.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2005, 5:27 AM Reply   
Eric, I was answering your "Who's boat is it I wonder? question.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-29-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
The boat is Zane's. It has been available for the past couple of years. I have it on my boat as well and love it. I'm not sure what they are doing for 06' though, but I'm sure your local dealer does.
And, yes, for the most part everyone is really funny, laid back, and kind. I've always said, that if you are a jerk and all you do is hang out in the boat all day, then you must be a really big jerk. It is a lifestyle sport, and that is why most of us love it.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-29-2005, 5:42 AM Reply   
i think if you have the skills and hardware to back up your cockyness then so be it...as long as an athlete can put up what his mouth puts out then i think he has the right to be cocky,its all a competitive enviroment and it helps with their riding and pushes others to be better then the cocky ones...

I think Phillip kills it as well but dannys my favorite rider...

BTW huge GRABBED 9s on and off the dup especially at contests will NEVER get old...

sorry but three years ago we were ragging the pros for not pushing it at the Tournaments and holding back to win and Danny harf and some of the Aussies and now Phillip has changed all that and they are killing it at the events now IMO...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
Wasnt Sean O'brien doing Nuclear Whirly's way before Harf was doing them?
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-29-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I would have to go back and watch the runs again but I could swear that they had said Philip threw the nuclear whirly and uped it on Danny. But that is the basis of contest. If he can do it then do it better (cleaner and bigger).
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-30-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
At nationals Phil did a nuclear whirly 5 after Dannys nuclear whirly, personally i dont think that phil has much style because he does pick up other peoples, but he is technical and very talented, he just doesnt appeal to what i like in wakeboarding.

(Message edited by scottyb on September 30, 2005)
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-04-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
Personally I think Phillip rox! He doesn't get half the amount of publicity he should, and people are scared because they know he could throw 1 run and it could win the competition. Just because he throws down a trick(bigger and better than Harf)doesn't mean he "stole" it. You don't own tricks, their fair game. Next thing you know phillip could go out and throw a simple backflip and be accused of stealing THAT trick!
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thats why I started this thread. I get both WBM and Alliance and neither mag give him much props. He is gonna threaten the tour for a long time so lets see the pub. Of course they did show the sequence of his close 1080.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-04-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
i think froggy, for his age, is waaay more advanced than harf. i can assure you harf wasn't doing the stuff then that philip is doing now. it's also bull$#!+ to accuse someone of "stealing" a trick. that is the lamest excuse for a younger rider showing up the older guys. total bull$#!+.

darin shapiro was a contest rider and i don't see anybody bashing him. so that's a huge double standard there.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Darin might not have gotten bashed in this sense on a message board because they weren't around until after he was already a contest legend. On the other hand, lately I feel that Darin has been bashed in the sense that he has relatively few video parts and sometimes there seems to be a judging bias against him. Just my opinion so flame on!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-04-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
"harf does 900's way too much" ?!!!

How many of you out there can name what the riders going to do before he does it?! Especially off the double up! At least Harfs doing 3 different 900's. He has also pretty consistanly been coming up with some new trick a year that alot of top pros emulate. Alot of you people talk as if in these contests a rider does one trick the same all year that hes unoriginal and boring. Its alot about nailing the trick on command and if you stop judging these riders on how they ride in a contest and more about how Harf absolutly kills it freeriding in videos like Counterfeit this then maybe riders wont do the same run back to back rider after rider.
Im not even sure what im ranting about... people just talk way too much and i'm one of them!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-04-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
lol paul. im surprised nobody's said the same thing about park's double half-cab... ;)