Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-18-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I'm currently attempting to install a custom auto ballast system in my 91' Supra Sunsport. The system will consist of two sacs up front under the playpin bow and two sacs in the rear. I am running into a bit of a problem with where to install the thru-hull. I was thinking of mounting my pumps in the compartment underneath the passenger side two-seater cushion to keep them out of the way. If anyone has any opinions or advice on what to mount where I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old    d_fresh            08-19-2005, 4:26 AM Reply   
What type of pumps are you running? If they are aerator type then they need to be under the water line of the boat (bildge). If they are impellar type (Simer), then you will be fine mounting the pumps under the seat. I have a Malibu F3 Sunsetter. I have 2 thru-hull fittings. A 1.25" fitting towards the rear of the boat, opposite of the engine water intake, and one up front
(3/4" size) by the drain plug under the engine. Don't forget, you will want a ball valve in series, right after the thru-hull fitting enters the bildge.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-19-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
I am planning on using the simer pumps but I was actually more curious about a good placement for the thru-hull. Thanks for the info though.
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-22-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
Joe - where are you putting the sacs in the rear? On the sides of the motor?

I'm looking at an '89 Sunsport, and trying to plan out the ballast, too.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-23-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
Kraig,
I am planning on putting a sac in the rear ski locker and also one under the rear bench seats (I had to cut out the dividers between the seats). I had a custom sac made for underneath the seats that holds approx. 350lbs
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-23-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Joe,
Here's a link with a picture of the thru-hull placement. Are you planning on using the thru-hull for draining also, with reversable pumps?

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=48510
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-23-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
I am planning to use 3 reversable simer pumps. I understand the concept of the thru-hull and general placement, what I am having troubles with is a result of my model of boat and how the stringers run underneath the floor making it hard to run your hoses from the thru-hull to the pumps. This is why I was curious if anyone with the same model boat had done any custom ballast jobs. Thanks for the info anyway Kraig. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
Old    d_fresh            08-24-2005, 4:38 AM Reply   
So, if I understand your setup, you have a ski locker/storage behind the back seat?! That is where one of your fat sacks will be, with another one under the back seat. My suggestion is to mount your pumps for the rear sacks in the rear storage. Put a 1 1/4" mushroom style thru hull fitting near the rear of the boat for these pumps. Place a 3/4" thru hull fitting near the front of the boat. Does your boat have a ski locker in the floor near the walk thru to the bow? If so, mount the pump for the front sacks in there.
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
Ahh. Now I understand your problem. I wasn't thinking about how Supra has the floors sealed, except for the main bilge valley.

I'll definitely be interested in how you run everything. Post an update once you figure it out.

And good luck!
Old     (chuckd)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-24-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
I have an 89 Supra Mariah similar to your Sunsport. I put the thru-hull scoop directly across from the engine intake. I just used 1 pump mounted vertically near the intake under the piece of floor behind the engine cover. I tried to put one sac in the rear compartment and one in the bow but found that the boat handles better and the wake is better with the sacs next to the engine.
Old    d_fresh            08-24-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
Be careful with mounting pumps in bildge. Simer pumps are not ignition proof!!!
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-24-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
Doug,
Yes there is a rear ski locker where I plan to hide one sac. I don't think there is a good place to mount the pumps back there though. The gas tank is undernearth the storage compartment so I would worry about mounting the pumps too close. The sac I have for underneath the seats doesn't leave any room for pumps there either. Also, there is NOT a ski locker in the floor which makes mounting pumps anyplace other than in the compartment underneath the passenger side seat pretty tough. I thought about putting the thru-hull in near the bilge but I'm just not sure how I'm going to run the hoses to the pumps with the floors being sealed off.
Thanks for all the info guys.

(Message edited by jroth97gt on August 24, 2005)