Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
I have found that Sunblock lotion has a evil effect on my painted surfaces.
Im using Coppertone SPF 30 and the Bannan Boat SPF 45

I dont know if all sun blocks do this
For some reason it has a way of making my painted and powder coated surfaces like my tower and my windshield frame paint soft and dull. Thats right
the suntan lotion makes the paint soft. After it get's on the painted surfaces it seems to soak into the paint and either removes it or makes it soft enough to where you can put your finger nail deep into the finish and remove or scratch it. Example. I had some on my back and I was turned sidways in the drivers seet I was leaning on the raido with my back. I noticed there was some sun block on the raido so I wiped it off and the paint on the raido face plate came off with it. Woop's It seems I never had soild proof that the sun block was messing up my painted surfaces but I was always suspect. Ya see I would have some spots on my painted black window frame with sun block I would wipe it away and the paint below it was always soft and dull. After the raido mis hap I fount the culpret.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
"it seems to soak into the paint and either removes it or makes it soft enough to where you can put your finger nail deep into the finish and remove or scratch it. "

Yep....all of the areas on my old windshield where people would put there hands eventually had no paint. You could rub the paint right off. Nasty stuff.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-11-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
Makes you wonder how good it is for your skin...

I guess it is the lesser of two evils.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing, About it having some weird effect on your skin. If it can softin the paint whats it doing to your skin?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-11-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
on that note, my friend had some sunblock leak onto his upholstery. It swelled up and left a raised area everywhere it had spilled. I don't know if it dried out or went away yet, but it looked like poo..........
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
quit worrying about sunblock and go take some pics of Ted's boat!