Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 12:24 AM Reply   
How would a 17 year old girl go about getting a sponsor. I know absolutely nothing about it and would like to know how good you have to be, what you have to do, how it works, and what you do after you have a sponsor, and all that stuff. Let me know,

Thanx,
Jamie
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Sponsorship.asp
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2005, 1:07 AM Reply   
You will want to put together a video to hand out to reps and potential sponsors.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Joe and Fu ~ who could put together a sick ass video for this girl?
Old    alanp            08-02-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
if youre a good rider and have a good personality then sponsors will seek you out. go to some contests and show up at some shop demos and get your face noticed. then let your riding speak for itself and things will start happening.
im not sponsored for wakeboarding and never will be but i was sponsored by several large companies(oakley, specialized, powerbar) for bike racing when i was younger.
most importantly you have to have something to offer the company a good personality, willingness to help others, etc. something that associates you with that company so you are putting out a positive message as a representative of x company.
Old    r_dub            08-02-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Alan, BMX?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Yea, everyone around here is telling me to get sponsored, but I don't think I really want a sponsorship right now. I don't go to competitions because I can't afford them, and its more fun to go ride with friends then to compete for 30 seconds. If you want to get sponsored, just go and talk to different shops and companies. The kids I know who got sponsored didn't even show a video, they just talked to the companies and rode in front of a rep at a competition.
Old    alanp            08-02-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
ryan no it was for road bikes
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
"good rider and have a good personality then sponsors will seek you out" - Not necessarily true... Hence why I recommended the video because I have seen it work first hand. Point in case, a local rider in my area who possessed all the traits you mentioned, but no sponsors.. He established contact with reps through local boat shows and then sent them his demo video. As a result he picked up 4 product sponsors and a shop sponsorship.

Nothing beats meeting potential sponsors face to face and like others mentioned, having a good attitude is always a plus. There are plenty of free riders that don't compete and they still get hooked up because they are a positive reflection on the company. You just have to know how to work it!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
That or become a photographer/videographer I get more free stuff than most sponsored riders and I suck!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
OK that was a lot of help but i got another question. I live in the tri-cites in WA and wakeboarding is growing slowely around here. I see more and more boats with towers but not a lot of actual wakeboarders, or if i do they are just learning. The northwest riders came here today and i got to ride with them and that was cool but other than that and local contests every wednesday, which barely anyone comes to and im the only girl, there isnt much advertising or any events for wakeboarding. SO how am i supposed to get knoticed by sponsors and stuff if the area i live in doesnt have too much to offer?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
"SO how am i supposed to get knoticed by sponsors and stuff if the area i live in doesnt have too much to offer?" - Keep riding and competing. Contact the local boardshops in your area, get contact info for the local reps, and if all else fails.... get some video of yourself riding and send it to a few sponsors.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Ok cool. thanx
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Don't worry about the editing. Just show your best runs with flowing heelside and toeside tricks.

Just curious, what kind of tricks can you do?
Old    alanp            08-02-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
good point kung fu. there are many ways to get picked up. also you dont have to look only at industry related companies. i was sponsored by a local bar. you just need to convince company "x" that you are a going to promote their product in a positive light. it may be helpful to look to other "extreme" sports as potential sponsors. i.e. skateshops, snowboarding shops, motocross, etc. dont forget restaurants or local hangouts here people of your like age group hang out. be reasonable in your requests when approaching and just ask for nominal things such as entry fee money for your events or gas money. in turn you throw some stickers on your board wear some of their gear and promote the living crap out of that company. shops need to see that people are coming to their shops because of an interaction with you. so tell people go to the shop and ask for john because jaime said he would hook me up.

kung fu this is from her post yesterday.

"Ok ive been doing the same tricks over and over and want to learn something new so its not so boring for the people watching, and for me too. I can do ts and hs 180's, switch indy 180's, lipslides, reverse sidlslide, a couple hs grabs, and surface 180's. Im working on the hs fs 360 but cant seem to get the handle pass and land it. Are there any tricks that i should be able to do. It just seems like im not getting any better with the stuff im doing now. I need some more stuff to do"
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
Yea and i was soo close to the backroll yesterday when i got to ride with the Northwest riders tour but forgot to tighten my screws before i rode and when i hit the water my bindings came off my board..with my feel still in em.