Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
i'm hoping you guys can give me some insights/advice here...

i currently have a 2002 SAN. The length, sans swimdeck is 21' 2", though it's really more like 21' 6" when you take into account the speedo pickups. As of right now, at our house, our garage is 22' deep. I have a swing away tongue on a custom trailer right now that allows me to get my boat straight back in my garage, with about 3 inches to spare front and back.

Now the question...we're looking at upgrading our home, and unfortunately, as many of you probably know, finding a home with a 22' deep garage isn't always easy, at least not in the bay area. We're very interested in a place with a 19' deep garage. will i be able to get the boat in diagonally? it's not my preference to take up the whole garage, but it's better than putting it on the street!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-31-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
You should get it in diagonally. Take the boat over and try it. I used to put my boat at the same length in about a 19' garage. It was tight, but it worked....
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-31-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
should fit, but will take some practice backing in.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-31-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
I have my 04 VLX in my garage that is about 20'6". I have to remove the tounge and remove a clinch strap in the back to get it in and be able to park the car in the garage. Once summer comes the car will stay outside. Make sure your tower will fit in the opening also. Just because it folds doesn't mean it will fit. Just to be safe you'll need a 8 feet to get it in.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-31-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
I put my boat of the same size in a 19' garage as well diagonally. Tight fit so i just push it in by hand.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys. My current setup is pretty humorous, as i fit in height-wise by about 1/4", and 6 inches total space front and back. the new place will be really tight if it works. maybe it's time for a storage unit, though i like having the boat with me...
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-01-2005, 6:08 AM Reply   
I passed on a home that had a smaller garage. Best decision I made.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
Yeah, i'm with you, but i hate having that be a factor in a house buying decision when it's so hard to find the right place (especially in the bay area right now). if i get a place with a smaller garage, i'm actually considering doing the covered storage at Orwood Resort. It's my favorite place to launch, and the $180/month would be worth it for me...
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-01-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
I think storage is your best choice. If you get it off the water its cheaper. But you can save yourself haveing to tow your boat through bay area traffic.. whats that worth to you?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-01-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
It sure is nice to have your boat in the garage where you can work on it, clean it, get it ready for the next ride out instead of having to haul all of your stuff to and fro to the storage area. If you have a premo sound system, there's always that worry too with outside storage.

IMO, you can never have enough garage space. Just remember in Real Estate, it's location, location, location.
Old    bambamski            02-01-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
19 feet will be a very tight fit. I'd take the boat over to make sure it will fit. I have a 21 foot garage and I didn't buy the 22V Tige because It would be too tight. When putting the boat in diagonally you have to think about how wide the boat is as well. The wider it is the farther out of the back corner it has to be.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
my preference is to keep it in the garage, but the storage i'm talking about is definitely indoors...
http://www.orwoodresort.com/storage.htm

not even thinking about the three amps and six speakers on the tower, there's no way i'm leaving my baby outside.
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
tommy, I have a 21.5 foot boat and I fit it in a 20 foot garage no problem. My little trick is to use car dollies under the wheels to move it where ever it needs to be to accomodate space. Summit racing mag has them. E-mail if you need more info. Keep it in the garage!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Is extending the garage possible? Factor into the house price extending the garage if so.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-02-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
Take the 180 dollars per month and add it to your mortage payment. How much more house will that buy you and it's probably mostly tax deductable. It will also go to increasing the value of your property in the future. Throwing 180 dollars a month out the window is tough to do IMO.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-02-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Extend the Garage enough and you will be able to put the boat and vehicle in there! I am with John Klein... personally, i am sick of paying $100 a month (that's cheap around here) towards someone elses equity.

(Message edited by biz on February 02, 2005)
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, in the bay area at least, real estate is so hot that it's hard to specify a 22foot garage w/o taking yourself out of the running for most properties. Supply is so limited, i don't want to use the smaller garage as a reason not to buy the house we're looking at. That being said, we're one of 7 bidding on this particular house, so i'm not sure we'll even get it, they're going over bids tomorrow. totally crazy here in the bay, we're looking at places over $800k, and still having problems finding something decent.

Tom, that's a great idea, i'll definitely look to use the rollers if the boat fits. i'm taking a tape measure over to the place tonight to scope it out a little further, including the garage height. My current garage is 7'1" tall, and I barely get in heigh-wise, so I need at least that.

As for extending the garage, something i would definitely consider, but there are local ordinances, so not sure if it's possible. Something to consider though.
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
Do you have to jack up the trailer to get it on the dollies? Or can you drive it on?

I may have to try this. I think I can fit my boat in my garage diagonally, but I don't think I have enough room to maneuver it in just right. It is a tandem trailer so the dollies would help a lot.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-03-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
I put mine on the wheel dollys all the time. Once on you can push or pull the boat around anywhere in your garage. I park mine 90 degrees to the door during the off season.

I use a floor jack to pop up each side and slide the dolly's underneath. I put rings into the studs on my walls and I pull the boat around into tight spaces with the tie down straps that have ratchets on them if I can't move it by hand.
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-05-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Matt--- When you jack up the trailer (tandom) be sure to jack one wheel at a time. You could get your spring hangers to "reverse" if you do both. Also make sure that your front landing leg is level so that you dont overload the front or rear wheel on the trailer. I found out the hard way. I lowered my front jack to make it more stable when pushing the boat around and flattened my front dollies. Make sense? peace.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-05-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Build a bigger garage. Us carpenters need the work!
Old     (speakersox)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-05-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
Tommy, my home is on the market in Fairfield, its has a three car garage. 20 minutes to Berryessa, email me for more info, i'll even throw in a pair of speaker covers with a full price offer.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
J, i'd love it, but my wife is pretty stuck on staying in the Walnut Creek/Lafayette area. We're having a kid in 6 mos, and both our parents are nearby. Great for babysitting.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-06-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
I just bought a house in Vacaville.. the garage is 20' so I'll be parking the boat in side ways for sure...

As for the dollies.. I've looked online and found them for the cars.. Does anyone have recommendations on which dollies to get??
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
http://www.powerwheel-usa.com/
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
Mike ~ clubmyke has a dope a$$ one. I don't remember the name of it, but maybe he will read this and let you know.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-08-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Ant! Hopefully he'll stumble upon this thread....
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-09-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
I use these with my Malibu / Tandem. Been using them for about a year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38959

I'm not sure I understand Tom's comment about one wheel. I jack up one side (two wheels at a time) and slide the dolly's underneath. Never had a problem, but I guess it's possible.
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
I went to the local Harbor Freight Tools store to see if they had the dollies in stock. They have the two-packs on sale for 39.99, so I picked up two boxes. Total of $80 for 4 dollies. Turns out the sale price is advertised in the current sale flyer and says it ends 2/28.

These are the same as mentioned above for half price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32052
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-11-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
has anyone fit their boat into a 20' gargage with a trailer that does Not have a break away tongue? Mine doesn't on my 97 super sport that I just got. It is in storage and I was thinking about either trying to fit it into my garage or paying for some heataed storage for the next 6 weeks to get some work done on it.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 6:09 AM Reply   
i have a powermover and it is pretty amazing. it allows you to move the boat within 1/2" of where you want it (you can practically move the boat sideways if needed). it has no problem with my cc 211 which weighs in at 5000 lbs w/trailer up a mild driveway slope

it is pretty pricey ($800-$900) but allows for easy movement of the boat... btw, they have a attachment which lowers the front of the boat so the folded tower can clear.

the owner has a 60 day trial period too. here is the link

http://www.powermoverinc.net/

good luck

(Message edited by clubmyke on February 11, 2005)
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
Already talked to the guy at PowerMover, seems like a great solution, and most likely the way i will go. Thanks for the recommendation...
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
One question for owners of powermover/powerwheel style units.. can they 'push' your boat or are they meant to mainly 'pull' the boat in. I have a very very slight incline but also a bit of a curb to go over.. it would be best to be able to back the boat into the garage rather than pull it in.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
i push my boat in... you have the greatest manuvrability(spelling ???) that way.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-13-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Mike,
Thanks for the link. I pick my boat up next month and I'm sure I'll be buying one of those after the first time manuvering it into the garage.

By the way.. nice boat
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
Stan, you might want to consider having your trailer modified. I took mine to DHM trailers in Sacramento, they did a top notch job shortening my trailer and converting it to a swing away tongue. if i didn't tell you, you wouldn't know that it's not a factory job.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-14-2005, 6:10 AM Reply   
I picked up my boat from storage this weekend and managed to get it into the garage. It was actually pretty easy. It took me 3 tries on backing it up to get the correct angle then I just disconnected it and pushed it by hand. I made it by about a 2-3 inches. It is really nice having it in the garage so I can easily work on it. Now the hard part comes getting it ready to board behind. Lots of work to get done before spring hits.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
Stan, how wide is your garage, and how long is your boat & trailer in total? I'm interested to find out, as i'll be getting mine into a 20 foot garage shortly...
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-14-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tommy,
I would have to measure the garage to tell you exactly but the trailer and boat without the teak looked to be 24' when I measured it. I will try to take a measurement of the width of the door and width of the garage tonight.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-15-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
Tommy, I have a 19'6" garage in Tracy and I also have a fold away tongue. When I take the swim step off my X-star is 20'5" but I can get it in my 2 car garage. Its takes up about 3/4 of the garage but I can't (homeowners) and would not put it outside. I put some markings on the garage floor so it makes it easier to just back it in. Takes about 8 mins to do. Yes the tower is folded down. So having that 19' garage will be possible. I know how you feel though. PIA.
Old    zekemule            02-15-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
buy a 24V Tige' and live aboard *
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-15-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
Tommy,
My garage door is 16' wide and the distance from one side of the garage to the edge of the door is 19'6'.
The depth of the garage is actually 21' I thought it was 20'. The total length of the trailer with boat is 24'. Hope that helps