Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    ag4ever            10-27-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
I saw this on e-bay, and figured a few people could go in together and get a bunch of lead as ballast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1268&item=38473216 67&rd=1

If I understand the posting right there are 1500 bricks at average of 60 pounds each, which works out to about 90,000 pounds which works out to like $0.02/pound. That would be enough for almost all of us to get a nice chunk of lead. Heck a good businessman could probably make a fortune of just reselling the lead.

That is if it is not radio active!

BTW, I am building a medical facility in Houston that has 8 Linear Accelerators that uses this type of lead. That is one sick machine. The doors to the rooms are 4'X7' and 18" thick solid lead.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-27-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
Uh, hate to burst your bubble, but those bricks are NOT "solid lead". Those bricks are "Ledite", which is a product of Atomic International (http://www.atomicinternational.com/ledite.htm)

They don't say what the composition is, but they infer that is is lead mixed with something.

A solid block of lead that weighs 50 pounds is just a little larger than the standard red brick. These blocks are pretty big and only weigh 60 pounds. I don't think they would be useful for ballast at all.
Old    ag4ever            10-28-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
In looking at them I bet they are some form of "cmu" type brick or a "lead concrete block" for load bearing wall construction.

I just thought it was interesting that somebody is selling radiation protection on e-bay.

Also any weight is good for ballast, just some is better than others.