Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2004, 10:45 PM Reply   
I got this from: ffers@adknowledgemail.com">offers@adknowledgemail.com

I know there was a thread about this before, but I got a screen capture to show everyone. I guess they replaced Monster with E-bay, how does this company make $$$, and where did they get my e-mail? This is probably the 4th email like this I've received. Is it specific to me because they found out I was a wakeboarder or is wakeboarding really BIG enough to provoke its own brand O spam?

Old     (hobag)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-28-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
I have a theory, I bet you've been to a Cope & McPheters store (Ultimate Watersports / Boarders Paradise, what ever its called where you are) and put your name on either their guest list if it was a sale or a mailing list for promotions.

See on the side,} the link to Boarders Paradise - I bet they sold their email list to gain customers through promotion like this, thats how the spam company makes its money.

Think I'm wrong? Just a theory
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-28-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Naw, i get emails from copes/ultimate/boarders but I have yet to get this one.
Old    howie            10-30-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
I would love to get something form wakeboarding, other than morgate quotes and how to get a large (member) My 2 cents
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-31-2004, 12:05 AM Reply   
anyone notcie how certain words sort of fade in and out of this forum... like everyone used the word gimmick a mounth ago and now everyone is using the word spam.... spam is such a dumba word to!
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
I think mounth and dumba are dumba words too.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
I'm might call this "gimmicky spam" then? Should I start a new thread :-) I guess it all comes down to: We know the sport is on the map when we get spam for it and see X-star remote control boats in Wal-Mart...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
Actually Cope's/Ultimate does NOT sell there database. It is something they hold dear to their hearts and would never sell. Either way they are not tied to this ad! Chris I am emailing you personally to get this link.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
I get a lot of e-mail from them in the same format for everything from counseling to DNA testing and new decking for the house, it is an odd lot of ads but I can always tell its from adknowledge because of the format with the large pic and small footer. I never reply to the remove my name links because I used to work in the industry and know that that ussually just verifies your address and then you get even MORE spam, if that is possible in my 10 years old Hotmail account... Let me know what you find Jason :-)

(Message edited by cla17 on November 01, 2004)
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
Actually, you would be surprised what gets removed. The laws are really brutal now and there are severe penalties if they do not honor your removes. If you are already getting a ton of email from them, it does not hurt to give it a shot. It can't get much worse can it?
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
Hmmm, the plot thickens...The ad is dynamic and has changed since I last looked at it. Have a look now:

Towers from BP and Sampson Sports, are all these companies paying AdKnowledge for adverts? The links go right to the Sampson and BP websites, after some ad relay thing???
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-02-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
please post the link
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
boardsforless.com link:
http://dyn.ak0.cc/c?m=1013028&u=45475264&lid=1&dn=hotmail.com&si=2&i m=2

Boarders Paradise link:
http://dyn.ak0.cc/c?m=1013028&u=45475264&lid=1&dn=hotmail.com&si=2&i m=1

Of course these links obviously tell adknowledge that my email at hotmail has clicked the link, thus sending more more junk :-( But try it anyways...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have sent them several messages and have had no response. I wonder how they can jsut send people to these other sites without approvals. Boarders Paradise has nothing to do with this refferal service and junk emails.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2004, 6:21 PM Reply   
How do they make $$$ if nobody pays them for their referrals??? If BP and Monster has nothing to do with them but they keep getting them traffic, what in it for AdKnowledge? It is all very odd
Old    lunaraven            11-04-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Could be:
1) The company just collects valid email addresses and sells them to other spammers, might even be done by a bot.
2) CIA emails you, you reply and get infected by an active X script which slowly reprograms your mind by using subliminal nanosecond impulses forcing you to love Hyperlite...
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-04-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Aw, crap. Mind controlled, again. This would be like the third time this year :-( I would have to say Liquid Force is behind this, every time I see a new pair of Transits I feel oddly compelled to buy them ???? Or maybe its Reef, every time I see their ads I feel all tingly inside ???? I'm wrapping my head in tin foil RIGHT NOW!!!!