Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-23-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
do you think it worth it, or not.

they tell me that i will save money on gaz, it is true ?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-23-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
That's a new engine so you might have trouble finding much information from actual users. From a comparative standpoint my Tahoe has the 5.3, my uncle's Yukon has the 6.0 that the ZR6 is based upon. His 6.0 gets 12.5mpg when I get 14.5mpg but my motor is not a 5.7 so this is not a real good comparison. In general the 6.0 in it's automotive form does not seem to be more economical than the 5.7, however it is a cleaner running engine.

When you are comparing boat motors ask for a gallons per hour rating and octane requirment. I have heard that the Malibu's most recent Corvette motors save enough gas to pay the difference for the premium they demand (if you can find it).
Old    ilovetrains            07-23-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
I am not a big fan of the Gm 6.0 in general. It was designed to replace the 454 (7.4) but barely replaces the 350 (5.7). GM had to replace the 454 because they could not fit Vortech heads to it and it remain an economical choice. Now they are offering the 8.1 because the 6.0 is just not enough for HD trucks.

With all that said, have you driven the SAN with the 335? You only get another 40 horses for the 6.0, roughly 10% gain over stock, but how much does that cost you? Also, I think you have to go with closed engine cooling on the 6.0 PCM b/c it is aluminumum block. Not sure about that. I have driven the 226 with both 335 and 375 hp options and did not think that 375 was worth the money. The 210 (SAN) is a much lighter boat.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-23-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
it cost 3500$ more than the mpi
Old    tonym            07-23-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have the ZR6 in my SAN. Is it worth it? Probably not, if you just wakeboard. We barefoot and I wanted the extra oomph on the bottom end. It doesn't seem like it adds that much kick until you eat all of your frieds DD boats out of the hole through 48 mph. I was amazed how fast my boat is out of the hole. The 6.0 liter does use more gas...I think that the computer said my boat uses 2.7 gph @ 1700 rpm and the 330 hp engine uses 1.7 gph @ 1700 rpm. I probably don't want to know the gph at WOT. It all comes down to preference.

6.0 liter
Pros:
increased acceleration out of the hole
holds speed better with friends and extra weight
Bragging rights

Cons:
Uses more fuel
Not necessary for wakeboarding
Probably will not get the extra $$ back if you sale your boat.
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-24-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
My SAN has the Excalibur, and when I have a boat full of people plus ballast, I sometimes wish I had a little bit more power. I have driven a 226 with the ZR6, and it seemed well-suited for that boat. I would think that the difference would be quite noticable in the SAN.

Now if you're just looking for bragging rights, check out PCM's Python. It's 425 HP and a huge gas hog. I have seen two Super Airs with the Python engine, and they absolutely fly. The vibration stands out a little bit with the Python, and the engine cover has to be modified by CC in order for the engine to fit.