Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
Noticed this weekend for the first time I was having an annoying problem with my trailer. After stopping at a light, when I resume there is a clunk. Like the trailer has an inch or so of play. Sounds like to me it's the surge breaks.

The trailer is a twin axle Extreme that is a little over a year old, with maybe 3000 miles on it. What would cause this? Brake lines need to be bled? Brake fluid needs to be added? Some other adjustment? I would be thankfull for any advice.

Thanks a million!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-06-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
Had the same problem last year. Bled the lines, didn't help (but you could try). Changed the shoes and found the wheel cylinders were rusted/froze. Replaced those, no problems since. You could have a trailer shop check the surge unit, but I would check the other stuff first.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-06-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
It may be normal. Try backing up from the street to a sloped driveway and see if the brakes engage. If they do, you are probably experiencing the coupler dead-ending against the stops.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Brakes don't engage when backing up driveway. It has an electronic "via backing light" brake shutoff for backing up hill.

It's not normal. Never did this until this weekend. Happened all at once. The trailer does not get a lot of wear on it. The only reason it has 3000 miles on it is 3 long highway type trips I made. Otherwise I go a mile or less to launch it.

I was thinking maybe I just need to add some brake fluid. Seems like if the level went down it would take the surge breaks that much more of a surge to engage the breaks. I guess the same thing if there was air in the system. I am hoping I don't need to change the shoes. But with so little miles I wouldn't think I would have to at this point.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
BTW the brakes seem to be working normally as far as stopping. I towed it down from the mountains at the end of the weekend with no problems.
Old    yellowdog            07-06-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
If the brakes are still working fine, it sounds like you have an air bubble in the line. check the fluid level and bleed the lines.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
To check the fluid level. Is the reservior right on the top of the tounge?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
BTW thanks for the help!