Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-09-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
For those of you who have sold a late model boat in the last year or two, what worked best?

I’ve had three boats to sell and will have sold each using a different method. Since the season is basically over, I know now is a tough time to sell.

I had a ’99 FourWinns Horizon 170 outboard and stumbled across a local boat broker in Orlando who bought it for cash. I didn’t have much money in the boat, got what I wanted, and the broker worked the deal through the MasterCraft dealer so I saved taxes on a leftover ’01 X-9.

Last year I sold the X-9 through the MasterCraft classifieds, although I also had ads on Boat Trader and FlipSell. It just happened that the buyer responded to the MasterCraft web site ad. Again, I worked the deal through my new Malibu dealer and saved taxes again.

Now my ’03 VLX is for sale. I’m getting out of boating for a year or two to pursue graduate school. I have again placed an ad on Boattraderonline.com. I also have postings on the major wakeboard sites and FlipSell.

Has anyone had any success anywhere else?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-10-2003, 7:22 PM Reply   
the sites that you have listed on are the best ones. the boat will sell itself, little more difficult in the winter, and maybe it will sell for less who knows.

boat trader magazine sold my last boat it was online for a few months, then when I advertised it locally in the trader magazine it went the first weekend. it only takes one person.

and a VLX should not be hard to sell at all, I bought one from across the country a few months ago and am real happy with it

real nice VLX you have there, how much are you selling it for, just interesting to compare to my purchase of an '01

good luck selling

(Message edited by slipknot on November 10, 2003)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-10-2003, 11:07 PM Reply   
I've had best success on boattraderonline, the magazine didn't do much as most of my inquiries were from out of my area. Tough time of year but like hairbanddude sez, boat will sell itself.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2003, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hairbandude,

Nice boat!!!

My ad with all the details is here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/85941.html?1068173931

From what I've seen, I expect you will feel pretty good about your deal on an '01 vs. my '03. Prices on new V-drives have escalated quite a bit in the last few years.

My list price is based on a "Spring Sale" since things are so slow. I'm willing to negotiate to sell it earlier, but I'll wait for the first truly interested phone call prior to dropping to my bottom line.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-11-2003, 7:34 PM Reply   
yes BT but here is your competition......

and it is a dealership, "your boat will sell itself"

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=5663

everyone tries to dump their boats at the end of the season 'cause they may have '04's on order.

nadaguides.com gives true values for selling purposes

good luck to you BT hope it sells for you soon
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
Thanks!

There were a few of those deals around last year as well. They usually don't last long.

Besides, my boat will appeal to the discriminating buyer with excellent taste and style!!!

They key is making sure the right buyer has the opportunity to see the boat. If you post it, they will come!
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2003, 10:05 PM Reply   
BT how did you mount your dummy wall for the amps? What did you use to keep it in place?
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-12-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
Roy,

The stereo was professionnally installed. The amp board is secured at the top by a metal strap that runs from the top of the board up to where the tower bolts through. It is secured or "toe nailed" at the base by stainless steel screws. Very clean!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
not sure if this counts, but I sold my Jet ski on craigslist.org... I posted it and about 3 hours later i sold it.. got more money than I hoped for too...