Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (boardordie)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-07-2003, 5:14 AM Reply   
I recently purchased a 92 open bow ski nautique and it was never equiped with a stereo. This of course must be changed. You can't board without tunes!

My question... Can a head unit be mounted vertically and still play CD's without skipping like crazy? The only place I could find that has enough room to mount a new head unit is up by the glove box and I don't want to cut a hole in my boat if I'm not going to be able to use the CD player. I've also thought about getting a head unit with a MP3 input jack and just taking my portable MP3 player along when I go out. Any thought, suggestions, and comments would be appreciated.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-07-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
Kevin,
I'll post some pics of my set-up later today.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-07-2003, 6:08 AM Reply   
My '93's head unit is mounted through the bow side of the glove box almost horizontal, that way it doesn't interfere with the storage space, it is a clean install. Also if you have a remote it should work through the glove box lid, mine does if there isn't any thing in the way.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
why don't you mount it under the dash towards the right, like right over your right leg. Get a flip down front shield to prevent water from getting on it and you should be good to go.

Chris
Get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-07-2003, 10:44 PM Reply   
I used to have the identical boat except in blue. My headunit was mounted in the glove box and used a hard wired remote, which is the only way to go remote wise.

Using a device to control volume and a couple of amps driving the speakers all you would need is an MP3 player. Instead of sinking the money into a headunit put it into amplifiers. Better sound and you are not paying for a unit you will not use.

BTW there is not enough room under the drivers side dash to mount a headunit, you would knock your knee on it. Right below the circuit breakers is a good place to mount a volume control or a remote.

Time to kick that wake up alot!

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-08-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Kevin,
Here are a couple of crappy pictures of my set-up. The deck is mounted at an angle through the inside of the glove compartment. It has a hard-wired remote by the steering wheel. The CD changer is in the rear storage compartment.(V-Drive). Hope this helps......

deck
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-08-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Here is the remote....
remote
Old     (boardordie)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-08-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
Rod,

Thanks for the suggestions... I really like the way it's hidden away in the glove box. I think I'm going to mount the remote though up next to the cupholder on the driver side. Easier access then having to reach through/around the steering wheel.

Peter C.

Since you have the same hull... what kind of ballast setup do you have? Your wake looks like you can really go big. I got one 500 lbs. sac with the boat and am thinking about adding a second and running with them on either side of the motor.

Thanks again guys for the suggestions.