Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    tonymontana            11-02-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm getting a new boat and haven't found any posts on a '97 Tige PRE 2150 WT. Please help.

I can afford up to $15k but am hoping to get something in the late 90's to minimize mechanical and interior issues and found the above. It has a tower and is in nice shape. How's the wake, etc. and does it have the Tige spray pocket problem? The only other options in my price are moomba outbacks and older direct drives without towers. Thanks much.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-03-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
I thought I heard someone say a while back that they have a 98 Tigé and it does not have spray pockets. I think it maybe only certain years. I could be wrong though.

As far as the spray pockets I honestly do think it is an issue. It has never been an issue to me whether I have 800 pounds of ballast or none at all. Some people will say that it sucks and blah blah blah but I think if you are good enough it doesn't matter if the wake came from a Tigé or an X-Star. This is my opinion. I am not trying to start a long drawn out Tigé bashing thread.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on November 03, 2003)
Old     (ctrider)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
I have a 98 Tige Pre2200V and it does not have Spray pockets. I contacted Tige and asked them if it was the norm, they told me they started the spray pockets in 99 and ended in 2002, so the 97 you’re looking at should not have them. I have been happy with my Tige and have not had any complaints from people that ride behind it.
If you are looking for any specific info let me know.
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-03-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
I had 97 Tige 2150. As we were learning the boat was great, slower speeds with no weight, 20-21MPH, the wake was small but had a decent shape. As you added weight and wanted more speed, the spray pockets washed the wake out and made it pretty bad. The more weight we added the worse the wake got. I really did like the boat, it was a nice looking boat and we never had any problems with it. I think you need to decide how far you are going to take wakeboarding, for the average recreational rider, the boat is fine.
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-03-2003, 8:06 AM Reply   
There is a pic of the Tige in my profile.
Old    tonymontana            11-03-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
Is there anything else in that age and price that throw a better wake? Would the outback be a better or worse choice based only on the wake (ignoring cheaper interior, etc.)?
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2003, 11:37 PM Reply   
Check the Sport Nautique with GT-40 engine.. I think for 15K you should be able to find a d-drive from '93-'96. Good luck.
Old    xtigeman            11-03-2003, 11:46 PM Reply   
Older Sport Natiques are the shintz. They throw a wake as good as if not better that any of the new V-Drives.
Old    sandman            11-04-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Ive got a 96 Tige PRE2200V (rare boat)and love it. No spray pockets. Have not had any issues with the boat other than needing the steering cable replaced. Throws an awesome wake with only 1K lbs of ballast. Unfortunately I may be selling in the spring due to baby on the way
Old    tige_joe            11-04-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
I agree with both Doug, Tommy, and Bryce......both boats throw great wakes!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2003, 12:09 PM Reply   
Had a 96 pre2000wt. boat ran great BUT hated the boat itself. absolutly no storage, wake was weak and the boat sat so low in the water (ski boat stance) that the smallest rollers caused huge problems. It is a great boat for a beginner learning to drive and maneuver. I would seriously look and see how the boat sits in the water. if the bow, sides and rear do not stand tall above the waterline, you are going to have a lot of frustration with rollers comming over and swamping you out. I got so frustrated with that situation I sold the boat after only owning it 9 months. Rollers would come over the back when in reverse. Even the smallest of waves.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       11-05-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   
Look for a 94-97 Malibu Sunsetter d-drive or vlx. They have the same hull as the Wakesetter and are quality boats that throw a great wake.

Older Sport Nauty's are great too. I'm not biased cause I own one or nothing. :-)
Old    frontsideshiftd            11-06-2003, 7:14 AM Reply   
MC Prostar 205's also throw a nice wake for a DD. I even have one for sale.