Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-18-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
I put a set of 1.2" fins on my Landlock.

For a really bad surfer like me the shorter finds makes the board a lot more fun to ride. Easier to kick the tail out and bring it back. Seems to a bit quicker too. I could ride further back on the wake and still pump forward when needed.

Tried a couple of 180s and 360, no luck. Just a face full of water!

old
new
Old    indo            05-18-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
i have been thinking about doing the same with my landlock ijust didnt know if u could still cut. i will have to try it when the rain stops
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-18-2003, 11:41 PM Reply   
I have an Inland Surfer so I don't have as many options for changing fins. But I did go from the 3 3/4" stock fins to the 2 1/2" ones and it made a big difference - feels looser and faster. I like it MUCH better with the smaller fins and can't see why the big fins would be necessary.
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-19-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Who's gonna step up and do a "how-to" wakesurf article for Dave????
I dont surf and cant grasp "pumping" the board. If I get too far fwd I race right up to the swimstep, or dive the nose. Too far back and it stalls out of the "pocket".
Is pumping like repeatedly stepping on/weighting the nose momentarily?
I know you weight the back corner of the boat, but do you also have weight up front?
How long of a rope? How far back is your peak/pocket? Should I be riding right up to the swimstep? Will shorter fins help all these problems? How fast?
BTW, anyone notice the evidence of holes to make a single or tri-fin on the Landlock? Thanks for any help! scott
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2003, 8:43 AM Reply   
Kinda funny, this being a "Hyperlite thread"

but...

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/howto.asp

Lots of good info there.

To the wake and placement depend on the boat. My buddies LSV works well without any change in weight placement. My Cal-Air (DD) needs a lot of weight in the rear to work.

On most boats you can start surfing a few inches from the swimstep.

Pumping is pushing down on the front of the board briefly. You can also cut out and then back in for speed.

I find that leaning back slows the board down, so when you are charging the swim step, drop a hand in the wake and lean back a bit.

When I am slowing down I'll get low on the board and put wieght forward. Too much and you sink the tip.
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-19-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-19-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
Ok… Finally figured it out. FUN FUN FUN.
We ran the same weight as we do for wakeboarding and did not do any overweighing on one side. The ideal rope length on my boat seemed to be a 10’ section plus a handle. Once I got the feel for surfing, I did ride for a while with no rope but until I get better… I am ok with riding with the handle… better for those in the boat not to have to pick me up so often when I drop off the wave.

All the surfing posts seem to be more geared towards weighting and how close to get to the boat. The key for me was a post I saw last week about foot position on the board. We were too far back on the board and putting too much weight on our back foot to keep the nose from sinking… but unless you get the weight on your front foot and change the angle of how the board sits in the water… the wave won’t push you.

I found the sweet spot on the wake was much bigger that I though it would be…once I got the feel for how much you can shift your weight from front to back to speed up or slow down. I think my speedo might not be too accurate at the slower speed but we were riding at 8-9 mph.

I tried a set with my premier fins instead of the normal landlock fins…. Too slick for me… guess I am not good enough yet.

180 and 360 huh??? Might have to try that one next. Oh yeah... The sweet spot also seemed to be a bit further outside the wake than I though from looking at a few of the pics that have been posted. After doing a cut back at the top of the wake or drifting up onto the top and dropping back in… it’s the smooth part of the wake that pushes you... we were riding too close to the boat and too close to the crest of the wake before.

Sorry for th}e long post... have fun.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Jeff, when I tried the surf spins on the Landlock... Lk Sammamish water never tasted so good up the nose!

I've found the same thing, foot placement is key. I found that standing a bit closer to the inside edge really helps too.

My brother-in-law (a surfer, skater, snowboarder...) could ride really far back on the wake and move forward with ease.

PS, when do I get to try out the new and improved MC wake??!

(Message edited by magic on May 19, 2003)
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-19-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
This came up last week also.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/66989.html?1053016016
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Ahhh, teach me to use the search engine!

Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-19-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
I can’t be seen with a member of the dark side…. No fooling with foils on my boat…

I am out of town this weekend. Heading east to ride the river at Pateros. I will check with you about riding the weekend after. Are you riding after work at all?? Off the IR yet?

I must be living right cause I have had a “hall pass” to ride both Saturday and Sunday for the last month. Yep… even Mother’s Day. Cliff’s wife had to point out that I was lucky man…. Yep I have to agree… sure am.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
I'm still off of the foil for an other week or so. Been wakeboarding and surfing instead!

Might try to get out this week one day after work, we'll see what happens.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-19-2003, 7:44 PM Reply   
Dave already did a "how-to" article: http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/wakesurfing.asp He didn't get into pumping the board because that's something you just have to learn on your own. But we just figured out what Sean said - the toes a little closer to the inside edge helps. Weight placement on the board is important but it varies based on the rider's weight and the board.
Old    hockeyruss            05-20-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
I just started this last weekend and it is a lot of fun. I kept the handle though, I get to the sweet spot and the pressure on the rope is very light to non existant, but as I slash back and forth I usually lose the spot and a little tug on the rope is necessary to get back. Anyone else experience this?????
Old    mikep            05-20-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
Well Hahn finally came through like a veteren and provided a Hyperlite Landlock for the new boat. I have to say surfing is pretty damn fun when you throw in a lot of beer and rough conditions. The 22V is pretty nice for surfing too - nice big wake. I think I caught a tube on Sunday! :-)