Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-31-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Well I think i have my board choices narrowed down to a CWB Kink 146 or LF Trip 146. The only difference i can see is that the trip has a center fin where the Kink does not. Does this make a huge difference when just starting out? I got right up on my buddies 143 trip and it felt really stable. I tried his Parks 143 a week prior and couldn't even get close to getting up. His parks only had 2 fins. So I am just curious what the big difference is besides stability.
Thanks
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-31-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Toss it..
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-31-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Throw it away and save yourself the trouble of breaking the bad habits that it will teach you.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
fins teach bad habits? wow.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-31-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Did you guys even read the question?

Steve, basically the different fin locations provide different forms of tracking. A center fin makes the board track when running straight it also helps initiate a turn, side fins don't track as well running straight but will track well when on edge. What Ben is talking about is that learning to control your edges is essential to progressing and a center fin can be seen as a crutch that allows you to ride but bot learn to use your edges.

I promise not getting up this week on the Parks board had little to do with the fin setup. That is an incredibly aggressive design, the Kink will be much better to learn on. Hard to go wrong with either choices but I'd get the Kink to teach you to edge properly.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-31-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Like not edging and trying to steer the board with the fin.

Thanks for the grammer check Joe.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
i wasn't correcting your grammer. i just found your comment of fins teaching bad habits interesting.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-31-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
Surprise, surprise.
Old    alanp            08-31-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
i recommend you get the board that tracks the best for you, whatever the fin placement is. alot of people think fins a crutch or they teach bad habits, thats total crap. learning a progressive edge is the same with or without fins. as a beginner i recommend keeping your fins on, you will have a better experience starting out and be less frustrated as you will ride out of situations(tricks) that you may not be able to ride out of without your fins. cheers
Old     (lildave)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
The funny thing is when I got my board (I was just starting out) I had the center fin on. I kept on face planting when I'd get out of the water. Took the fins off and havent put them on since.
One thing I've noticed is that my buddies that have kept the middle fin on arent very consistant with their edging.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
center fin helps it track straighter, allowing the rider to concentrate on position, etc. IMO, once a rider has the correct position and understands technique, taking the fin off then helps because it loosens the board up a bit, and allows the rider more control over the tracking. Removal helps pull some sketchy situations out too, but can also put one in "slippery" type situations if proper position and edging is not used. Just recently watched someone who is good while regular without a fin have trouble tracking while switch, a fin would help them when they're switch. In general, in the beginning try it, try it without, try it again and see what you like.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-31-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
My son has the 2009 Kink and he really likes it. The ability to move the fins forward and backwards is a great idea. If you feel that the board is too loss, move the fins further back away from the center to help you control the board better and get adjusted to the feeling.

If you can demo the boards, that would be the best.