Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Hey guys, heres whats going on. I have an 05 Malibu VLX. was out at the lake and the engine just died. It was running great all day nothing out of the norm, volts, temp everything was great. It just died. When i go and turn the key all electrical boots up, and i turn the key and it just clicks once and it won't crank. I replaced the starter not it. I pulled the all plugs no water in the engine. still same thing. It won't crank at all. I tried turning the engine manualy on the fly wheel but no luck however when the starter ingages the wheel moves a little not much but no cranking. Any ideas? All conections look ok.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-26-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
If you can not turn it over manually, either the motor is frozen or a drive belt accessory is frozen. That is assuming the trans pump is not frozen.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-26-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
First thing to check is voltage when you try and crank the engine, if it drops below 9v get another battery! Where did you get the replacement starter from and does it have the same pinion gear? Next remove the raw water pump and fit a socket to the crank and try to move engine clockwise at least a full rotation, this will eliminate everything except the starter if the engine rotates (should be quite stiff due to compression). If it is still not rotating remove the serpentine belt that drives the alternator and try again.

If it does rotate check the fly wheel teeth for any damage (burs, marks or rust spots) as this can cause the pinion on a starter to jam.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Hey Bear, we rode a couple times on Kevin's Xstar out at Elsi a couple years ago. What's up!

It's probably the safety lanyard. I now have an 05 VLX as well and had the same problem the first time I took my boat out last year. The boat still cranks if the lanyard is bad but won't start.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
hey whats up jason! Let me know when you need a third! I was thinking that but my boat won't crank at all. I think i'm just going to have to wait untell the dealer can get me in which isn't untell aug. 7th. Sucks.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-27-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
The lanyard idea had to be one of the worst for inboard boats. Mine shorted out over Memorial day weekend. I lost a week on the water when all I had to do was short two wires together. Took me about 3 minutes, what a waste> I don't understand that point of the stupid thing in a 23 ft boat....sorry for the rant
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
Bear, I misread your post. I thought you said it was cranking. Yeah, it probably isn't the lanyard then. Good luck with whatever it is.

I'll let you know next time we go out. I have only been out 4 times this summer. Between work and other obligations, I am getting hosed this year.

Adam, I agree on the lanyard. I was so miffed when it happened to me.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
So I got it up and running!!! So I took off the spark arrester on top of the engine and there were a few wire conections hidden between that and the air filter that were lose. So I made sure they were tight, and I messed with a few other electrical conections and it fired right up. Took it out to elsi tonight and ran it for an hour or two without a problem. So I quess its good to go. All I can figure is if it cuts out again I'll check the wires again or it might be a thrown engine bearing that reset and it might be a matter of time untell it throws again. Hopefully not because its running fine right now.