Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (tfk)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2009, 10:52 PM Reply   
Alright I am going to preface this with a bit of a disclaimer. I am pretty frustrated and so this may be a bit whiny but I wanted to vent it somewhere and misery loves company so if anyone else has had a similar experience or has any advice feel free to post it.

A few weeks ago we were down at Lake Powell and toward the end of our trip we hit some unmarked rocks and dang near murdered the boat. In short, the rudder, hull, prop, taps and a few other things were all damaged our vacation was cut short. That was pretty devastating. When we got home our first priority was to get the boat in to the dealer. Now, when we bought the boat these guys were nothing but awesome. They did everything they needed to in order to make sure that things went smoothly and that the boat was in perfect condition when delivered. That is partly why it has been so frustrating to deal with them for the past few weeks. We are pretty new to the boat scene so we don't have a lot of experience with repairs and certainly none with anything of this magnitude or severity but we found out today, two and a half weeks since dropping the boat off, that it was just barely delivered to the hull repair shop and that is only the first step in the process. Are you kidding me? Every time we talk to these guys we get a different story and all of them have the familiar scent of B.S. It took them all of a day to get the engine removed and prepped for the hull repair and yet they couldn't get around to delivering it for two weeks?! Am I missing something? Anyway, that all sucks and everything but it doesn't end there. Since we knew the boat would be in the shop, for a couple weeks at least, we started thinking that maybe we would go ahead and upgrade this year instead of waiting until next like we had planned. So we started calling and looking around at some new boats. We started with the SAN 230 because that was one of our favorites and things went well with that. The test drive went great and the guys there seemed really helpful, however we weren't going to settle after just test driving one boat, or so we thought. The Malibu 247 LSV was our next choice so we got in to look at those and give them a test. I had always thought that it would be a point of interest for dealers to want to take people out for a test drive (and given our circumstances I can't see why we wouldn't be taken seriously) but I honestly don't think kidnapping someone's child and holding them for ransom would convince these guys that they should take us out. What gives? The guy we are dealing with on this keeps telling us he will call but never does and he seems like the same kind of person that would keep our boat in the shop for a whole month of the summer while he sits on his can and gives us the runaround. Is it always like this? Is this just boating service in general? If this is just us being ignorant then please inform me but I really don't know what else we are supposed to do. Again, sorry for the complaining but I have to do something to kill all of the spare time that I suddenly find myself with these days. End rant.
Old     (asm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-29-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I feel your pain, here is a rant of my own. We had to take our X2 in to the shop on JUNE 4th this year to our dealer (who neglected to mention that they were no longer a Mastercraft dealer, despite having a Mastercraft predominantly displayed outside the entrance as if they were) turns out we needed $1300 worth of work done so being the beginning of the summer we gave the ok right away. We did not get our boat back until JULY 3rd! They were "waiting for parts" we later found out that they had been dropped by Mastercraft and had waited 6 days after we gave the ok to order the parts from the new Mastercraft dealer. To make things worse when we got it back it didn't work right and we took it into the new Mastercraft dealership and got it back in a day and a half working great. There are good dealerships/service departments out there unfortunately sometimes you have to have a bad experience to find them.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Bummer.
In my experience dealerships are ungawdly busy this time of year. And since many of their sales are down, their not fully staffed.

And many manufacturers are not fully operational either due to the economy. MC & Malibu have definitely scaled things back.

In light of issues like this, I tend to try & take care of things in the off season. All boat repairs & maintenance will be done in the winter..... plus I'll be doing them myself if possible to save money. Sending my bilge heater in for a look as we speak. And in a few months I'll be taking my mooring cover in for repairs (since the boat will be in the garage in the winter).

Probably not what you want to hear but I think boat ownership goes a lot better if your somewhat self supporting.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       07-29-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
What? You can't get them to take you for a demo?? Man I had them calling me like every day trying to get me to go. If they aren't eager to demo I would run (not walk) away!

Read my post.. 7 demos later..
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-29-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I hit a stump on July 5th

did $5000 worth of damage

somehow the prop took a huge chunk out of the hull....

it took 2 weeks just to get the parts
luckily, I have been on a (boatless by plan) vacation

my dealership is the best!
the guys will have the boat back to me better than new........

I agree with the demo comment
they should be begging you to take a ride

the 247 is an amazing boat (if you need the room)