Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2009, 11:00 PM Reply   
I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind the extra $115 for the Comp I Custom. What is the difference between the two besides the fact that the Limited Edition has epoxy resin which isn't mention for the Custom.
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2009, 11:40 PM Reply   
Hey Calvin
The Le is made out of the epoxy resin which is bulletproof but the comp 1 custom is made out of a foam core and is much lighter but it isnt bulletproof!
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2009, 1:16 AM Reply   
Thanks. Any guestimation on how much lighter the Custom is? Im pretty sure I've seen some pictures of you on the LE in the June picture thread. Can you give me a quick review of the board? Worth the money?
Old    surfdad            06-09-2009, 5:13 AM Reply   
I just want to clear up this potential misconceptiion. It's very common, so worth mentioning here. Epoxy is not a core material. Both the Comp I and the LE have a foam core. The website for Shred Stixx indicates that bothe the LE and Comp I use a Styrofoam core, which is XPS or eXpanded PolyStyrene. Both XPS and EPS foam will melt when exposed to the styrenes in polyester resin, so I am sure that both the Comp I and LE are laminated with epoxy resin, even though it seems to be omitted from the description of the LE.

Epoxy is a resin as Alec indicates. It's used to wet out the exterior fiberglass and attach it to the foam core. The other most frequently used resin is polyester. Typically that is the comparison - epoxy vs polyester resin and has nothing to do with the core material.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2009, 5:38 AM Reply   
Interesting. Thanks Jeff. Can you venture a guess at the reason behind the price difference? Or just the difference in the two boards.
Old    surfdad            06-09-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
No I'm not privy to the differences in the boards. I always thought the "styrofoam" description on the lower priced board was a typo and that it was of polyester/polyurethane construction and hence a lower price. If that isn't the case, I don't know why there is a price difference.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Hmm... Alright. Thanks for thinking about it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Just call them!
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I think I will. Although I would still like to hear a good review of one of these boards.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Anybody? There have got to be people who have ridden this board enough to give me a solid review.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-10-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
So I talked to a rep, and they said it's just a color thing.
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
I HAVE A HAZEN MODEL FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. LIKE NEW EXCEPT FOR SOME HEEL DENTS. FUTURE VECTORE 438 QUAD FINS ALSO. $450 DELIVERED. COST ME $700 WITH THE FINS.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
So they are charging $100 dollars more for a white, blue, or orange fade over neon green? Makes sense....
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
I got my comp 1 about a month ago and have absolutely loved it. I spent all week on it at lake Powell and can tell this board has so much potential. I previously have ridden pretty much all of the Hyperlite boards, some old trick boards, and a Walzer. I was amazed at the upgrade that the Walzer was over my Broadcast. I feel the same, if not more so, about the upgrade from the Walzer to the comp 1.

At first, I had a hard time going from the looseness of the Walzer to the quad fin of the comp 1. I don't know how you can get the quads of the comp 1 to spin. Those guys on the Shred Stixx videos must have alot more power than I do, I figured. I took out the rear fins and instantly loved the board. With only the front fins in I can break it loose for spins, but still feel like I can get the drive and stability that you need for airs. Now, I'm not a pro who can stomp these moves every time, but I can see how this board will let me get to that point. One month only on the board and I can't wait to see how far I can push it.

The only negative so far for me is that it doesn't fit in my surf racks so now I need to buy a surf rack. Oh well. The board is expensive but I bought mine slightly used so it was more affordable. Duckdivers deal would make a great buy. I'll post some pics of mine tomorrow.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
Kenny, I am getting a comp 1 and I can't wait for it! Hopefully it comes sometime soon. I think I have almost maxed out my ja mako, and I am ready to step it up. Do you have to pump it constantly to keep speed with the boat? Unless we have a pretty large crew the thresher needs to be pumped a lot to stay with the boat.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
No, I was afraid that we might have to work the board to get it to accelerate but that isn't the case. The last day of our trip I put my buddy on the comp 1 and he had only been 10 times or so with us. He loved it and did just fine. I noticed that it is a little bit more unstable side to side than other boards I've ridden but when you lean forward into the board it takes off. I'm not a "pumping rider" if there is such a thing, meaning I like to stay pretty calm on the wave instead of pumping all the time. The comp 1 was perfect for me in this way. Everybody in our crew tried it and did well. Here's some pics of us on the new board.
UploadMy brother modeling the board

UploadFinishing off a 3
UploadI'm close to getting those fins out now

Uploadfins are out but I didn't land it
UploadHere's my buddy who's only been 10 times or so and he did well on the comp 1
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
How much does your crew weight?
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
Two of us weigh about 175, two others are lighter at about 160. Haven't tried any heavyweights on the board yet.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-16-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
No that's cool I am around 175, so I should be good.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       06-16-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Darly is riding the Shred Stixx LE Comp its 4ft 8 inchs and he # 180 and likes it i think he needs a little bit bigger boardUpload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-16-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
What is his problem with it? Is he pumping constantly? I don't mind pumping, but I hate when I have to pump just to stay with the boat. I range from 165-175 so maybe I just need to watch what I eat:-)
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Hey Duffy
Have you switched out and tried any different fins? Because those quad fin board get technical with the fin set up. Also if you can find the perfect way the pump your wave you will get some great speed! Hope this helps
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-20-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
These are shots on a 5/4, I weigh 200 to 220 I rode a smaller board for a while and noticed if your over a 150 is easier to ride a bigger board and still get air My one friend weighs 165 and rides a 5/2 and gets big air.All these shot were landed to.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-20-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
I know this is a diffirent board then were talking about, but im pointing out bigger boards work to,plus it depends on your wake.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-20-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
I just went wakesurfing with chase and he kills it on his model for sure.
Old     (dw_mb_b52)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-20-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
Hey Duff,
Daryl here i actually weigh 190 and have started to figure out that if I ride with my front foot farther back the board performs better for me now. I have ridden it now about 4 times and am loving it. I am debating about maybe 2 inches longer but I am going to keep on the shorty for now. I am not having to pump that hard to get speed for trying airs and slashes.
Old     (slayshtank)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-22-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
One of our riders just brought this thread to our attention. There are some big differences in the comp I and the LE and here is a great post on the slayshBlog that goes into detail.

http://slayshblog.com/?p=2395

Any questions on Stixx or their products should be directed to:

info@shredstixx.com

New website coming Thursday.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-22-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
Clint, thanks that clears everything up!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-06-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Kenny, what fins are you riding? Mine came with 438's and I don't like the way they feel.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'm on the 438's as well. I ride without the rear 375's in. I bought some plugs for the rear fin boxes to fill in the hole. I have wondered how using another fin would be. Let me know if you find something you like better. I've thought of ordering some Scimitar's. Don't know though.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
I bought some future stretch quads. Someone from Shred stixx recommended them. I will let you know how they ride. I own some 3/2/1's and they are so weird. They make the board feel strange in my mind. Did you remove the 375's just to loosen the board up? Fin tech is some crazy stuff.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yeah, with the 375's in it felt too "locked in" for me. I tend to like doing some rail slides, hard snaps, and trying to break the fins free for a 360. I just don't have the power to break the quad fins free for that type of surfing. I didn't give it more than one day's try with the quad. Maybe I should try it out again.

What are the stretch quads supposed to do differently? I asked Johnny Steig what fins he likes in this board and he told me the 438's so that's what I've been on but...
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, really I have no idea what the stretch fins will do. I just didn't like the feel of the 438's. I will let you know how they go, I should have them for surfing this weekend.
Old    surfdad            07-09-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
uummmm, you know that the Stretch rail fins are basically identical to the VII Q1 (438's) same shape, dimensions and area. Folks say that the inside "curve" is different from the VII, but I had a hard time differentiating. IMO the only thing you gain from that switch is a larger trailer fin - 3.75 up to a 4.00 and a different shape.

What did the folks tell you it would achieve?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-14-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
Looking at the fins they have a different cup(I don't know if this is the right term) and are a little different in overall shape The fins feel a little faster. Not a huge change. But I am very happy with them. I can literally recover from a few feet past my curl!