Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
I need advice here guys (and ladies)

I drove 2hrs to look at this boat last night and want to know if its worth the $$$. Here's the specs:

Upload

2006 Mobius LS
-Gravity games triple ballast
-Moomba Cruise
-Stereo/CD/Ipod/Sub/Basic tower speakers
-175hrs
-Interior is good shape, but needs good cleaning. only a couple area's where stitching has stretched (no tears or rips)
-Hull is in excellent shape, no dings, but again needs a good cleaning.
-120 hr maitenence done, no major issues with boat in past 2years.
-single axle moomba trailer

Price: $25K

Whatdya think ? Go or No Go? Whats it worth ? Walk away ? I need some brutal honesty.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
Too much for that boat in my opinion. There was one at the Bend Oregon auction that had most of the same stuff and it. It was black. Look for it to pop up on Craigslist or at a dealership on the west coast soon.

I think if you could get that boat for between 20-22 you would have gotten a good deal.

A dealer I have talked to a few times bought a 2004 Centurion Avalanche at the auction and I think he wants around 25 for it. I would consider that a better deal.

(Message edited by polarbill on March 18, 2009)
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Sounds to me like a solid deal...remember, the value of a good deal is in they eye the buyer. If it's the boat you want, buy it and enjoy your riding season.

IMO, that is a GREAT looking boat too.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
After looking at it more that may be a decent deal. That boat does look good and has some good options. I do agree with NAW, if you think you are getting a good deal happy with purchasing it that is what matters.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-18-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
I think that is a fair price for sure! But in this economy I'll bet they'll take 22-23k.
I agree w/ NAW, If its what you like and your comfy with the price then do it.
A lot of people bag on Moomba, but its a quality boat. We love ours and you will love that one.
Let us know if you get her. Good luck.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Good info.

Its definately a sick looking boat and I don't see many triple white with the Black Tower.

One my quandaries is, for $25K should I wait it out and try to find a 03ish outback LSV or buy this loaded out LS?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
The hull will be different on an 03.
I think that hull is the one they still use today on the LSV?
Do you want a dd or is that just in your range? Because it would suck to buy it and regret not waiting for a V drive.

That is a great looking boat though !
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-18-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Is the owner a regular on the Moomba forums? If you can dig up his user name a lot of info can be gleaned about your prospective new boat.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-18-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Is that a direct drive right?

I would say too much for that boat...you can get your pick of very gently used V-drives for 25K now. Just gotta be willing to look out of your area depending on where you are.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
The hull on that 06, i believe is the current hull for the LSV as well.

(I'm a newb @ boats) I would LIKE to have a V.Drive but don't necessarily need one with the size of my crew and my theory is that if i can get a newer/lower hour/more reliable boat then i would be better off buying a newer DD instead of an older V.

As far as the current owner, he doesn't even wakeboard much, and its more of a family boat. Boat History:
(1)2006 First owner purchases for a practice boat to ride behind and then traded back to the Moomba dealer because he got sponsored or something...
(2)2007 Current owner purchased boat with 95 hours on it and has had no issues, performed 120 hours maintenance this past summer and boat current has 175hrs.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Yes, that is the hull that is under the current Mobius LS and Mobius LSV. It is a GREAT hull and a big boat for a DD (much bigger than the 05 and earlier LS or LSV).

The wake on the 06 DD LS (stock ballast) is larger than the wake on a 05 and previous LSV with stock ballast....
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Just food for thought, and it is not always true, but you should consider resale value in your thought process. I like DD's and I have owned a few, but with the number of boarders out there now, in my experience, V-drives will hold their value a little better and may be easier to sale later on.
That being said, that is a nice looking boat. If it suits your needs and you like the wake and features of the boat and you can get the deal you want on it, then it may be right for you.
Also, if you are a new or first time boat buyer, I would try to find a friend that has been around towboats and have them go look with you. It is nice to have a knowledgable source with you and also somebody that is somewhat impartial. I know that early on in my boating days, I was lucky to have a friend that knew boats inside and out and he helped out a lot.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Resale is a big factor for sure, and I plan on keeping this boat for about 3 years. When I look at the 03 DD boats selling for 19-20kish I figure that's what an 06 DD will be worth in 3 years.

IF so, then I'm happy with that kind of depreciation rate.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I would rather have that boat even though it is a direct drive than an older Mobius LSV or an outback V.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-18-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
How about an 06 Sanger V210 with 79 hours for 25K. I wouldn't consider that an older V! The deals are out there.

http://www.m2omarine.com/pre-owned/0900.html
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
I have a buddy with a that exact same boat, and he surfs it all the time. The wave is nice and big. It will lack a little of the interior of a V-drive, but it should still do the trick. Hope this helps
Old     (moombadaze)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-18-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
I think you will find this boat will do it all and not empty the bank doing it. looks good to also, that hull is the current lsv/ls hull
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-18-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
I think its high when I bought my boat in 07 there was an '06 x9 for 19k with all the bells and whistles with just under 100 hrs. I think in that budget you can likely find a comparable v-drive.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-18-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
I haven't heard of a Gravity Games edition in LS trim. I see the decal on the windshield. Is that the only proof of it being a Gravity Games edition?
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-18-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Oh, and nice boat, BTW. We love our Mobius LS.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
I BOUGHT IT!!!!!

Well, folks, I just wanted to give a HUUUUUGE thanks for the support and feedback today. I was on the fence about this purchase but after discussion today I am proud to announce a new addition to the family!

I called this afternoon and made an offer of $24K and he accepted it! I'm super stoked, and our banks are hashing out the details as we speak and I should be able to pick her up this weekend hopefully.

Judd - This boat has a triple ballast system (mid, 2 rears) and it says Gravity Games ballast on the panel inside the boat .

THANKS!
Scotty
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
How does it have 2 rear ballast tanks? Is there one under the seat and another bag in the rear trunk?

Congrats, it is a great looking boat.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
There is a split hard tank under the rear seat. There are 3 switches on the ballast panel.

Center
Rear Left
Rear Right

I think the center bag is about 400lbs and the rear hard tanks hold probably 250lbs each, but i'm just guessing.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-18-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
Scotty, CONGRATULATIONS! You're going to like the boat.

Thanks for the info on the Gravity Games ballast. I guess it's not a GG edition per se but the Gravity III ballast must make it so. Besides, Moomba has had a GG edition for quite a few years now!

Which lake will you be using it on?
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       03-19-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
I live about 10 minutes south of Konowa Lake in Oklahoma. There is a powerplant that uses the lake water to cool thier machines and then it circulates the warm water back into the lake allowing for much longer riding seasons than most Oklahoma Lakes.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-19-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
nice bro good looking moomba congrats
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
That thing would look sick if you took the mobius stickers off the sides, I personally like the all white boats, I also dig that all black tower, nice purchase.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-19-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Congrats. That is one sweet looking boat. Post some more pics! ! !
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-19-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
scotty, great looking boat.

if you ever come over to skiatook lake send me a email.
Old     (jclay5)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-19-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
congrats fellow moomba owner! Make sure you post some pics when you pick her up. Also don't forget about us over on the moomba forums we have a lot of fun over there!