Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       01-12-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have a Sanger V215 and I don't want to pay the 200 bucks to have the dealer change the oil. Plus they pump it out. I have always drained my oil. Anyway, I hear that these mercruisers engines are designed to have the oil sucked out. Is that what you guys are doing? If so did you go with an electric pump or manuel? Are you guys heating your engines up to running temperture before changing the oil? Do you changer your oil every 50 hours or 100?

Also, at what intervals are you changing your fuel filter? What about transmission oil and v-drive? Are there any other fluids I should be worrying about?

Thanks
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-12-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
I have an 2005 Sanger V-210 and I have always done all the work on it myself. I have the Mercruiser 350 Mag engine and mine has and oil drain hose that I can run out the plug hole in the hull. I also let my engine run for a while before I change the oil but it still takes a while. I usually just change my oil once a season because I have only 100 hours on my boat. I also changed the transmission oil last season. As for the fuel filter, I don't know. Mine probably needs to be changed also.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-12-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Dave,

Your particular motor might be a little easier to suck the oil out. The factory will typically install the drain hose in the same place as the plug at the bottom of the engine.

Heating it up will make the oil easier to pump out and a faster job. If you dont have a pump then you will need to borrow one or call me at the shop and I may be able to provide suggestions. (408 451 9596)

Today the manufacturers are recommending 50 hours or less for oil changes on the motor.

The other questions you have may require more information to answer. They all depend on various factors. Call me at the shop when you get an opportunity and I will try and hook you up.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-12-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have a merc 350 mag and this is the extractor that I use.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/366982973.htm
It has an adapter that screws on to the merc dip stick hole. Don't get an electric pump... I had one and it was horrible.
Definitely heat up your engine before you suck out the oil, otherwise it will take an hour to get the oil out. I change the oil around every 50 hours because it is so simple using this extractor.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-12-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Dave, I use the same extractor as ed above. It's easy to do and works very well for the tranny to. It's paid for the first time you use it instead of a mechanic.
Warm fluids are easier to suck. Add the same amount of transmission fluid as you take out. Changing the oil filter is the hardest part. I dump my extracted oil into milk jugs to take to the recycler.
Have fun.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I do oil, filter and fuel filter every 50hrs. Tranny fluid every 200hrs, V-drive every 300.

So far so good with 650hrs.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
I too use the same extractor and concur with the other fellas its as easy as pie.

Intervals:
Oil = 50hrs (including filter)
V-Drive = 100 hrs or per season
Tranny = 200 hrs or every other year.
Water separater = Once per season.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
I have the same extractor and have yet to use it! :-) Winter came before the pump. I'll git er done this spring.