Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            12-30-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
I bagged a layer of 4 oz Zylon this evening.

The weave is so tight and the individual fibers must be non-porous. I had to work the epoxy into the fabric for the better part of 15 minutes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that It's enough!

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            12-31-2008, 4:59 AM Reply   
It seems to be holding! :-) I'm not sure if I like this stuff, not much fun to work with. It's definately stiff and light, though!

Upload
Old    lakeside5_10            12-31-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
too stiff to work , what schedule are you going to use , the 3 pound seems to have enough spring back i can do a test like COIL does , step on board and it springs back ,
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-31-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Looks interesting for sure Jeff! In a good way though. I'll be waiting to hear about how it rides. It always neat to see you do your write-ups on different materials and give your opinions and share your knowledge with the rest of us. I think its pretty cool lookin!
Old    surfdad            12-31-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Also thank YOU TXSurf for the clarification on the "interesting" :-) Too funny.

Hey Mark, I don't think that fabric alone can make a board too stiff. I think that it was Sean Ward, during that skimmer build, who suggested thinning the tail. I got to thinking about that comment Greg Loher made about the domed deck not being useful construction. We see this in skimmers like P5's that just use 3 x 6 oz top and bottom. The distance between the skins, be they HD foam, or just fabric, has more of an impact than the material itself.

I believe we would benefit by rethinking the design to incorporate the benefits of the construction and materials.

I thinned the tail on this, as well as, through out the length.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-01-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
Out of the bag this morning and it weighs in at 2 pounds and 10 oz. That is about 7 oz heavier than the "surftech" board at this stage. Mostly that is associated with the Carbon on the rails, plus I used a 2 oz e-glass on the bottom of the first board, whereas this board uses a 4 oz fabric.

The stiffness increase is pretty substantial on this board, compared to the first effort. It's a factor of about 4 from the first effort. My testing methodology is very rudimentary so that factor is probaby not overly accurate. I just checked the "strength chart" from Soeller Composites and that does show a potential 4 to 1 increase compared to s-glass.

Regardless of the chart, I think I can safely say that an increase in weight of 7 oz, which represented almost a 20% increase, allowed me to decrease thickness of the web by approximately 12% and still resulted in an increase in stiffness in excess of 100%.

Upload