Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
I see in photos sometimes that people have there rope shorter than the take off sections allow. How are people doing this without creating a massive knot on the tower. I tried last weekend to do a simple loop knot(sorry dont know my knots) and my rope got insanely tight where i tied the knot. I assume people are not doing this because i almost had to cut my rope to get it off. Kind of a newb question but never had to shorten a rope shorter than the takeoffs before, is was for someone who needed a little help jumoping the wake. any help would be great
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-25-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Take the rope, double it over, make a loop, and put it on the pylon. That's how I shorten the rope for surfing. The loop that you make should self tighten around the pylon without tying a knot in the rope, therefore, getting it out isn't a problem
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
when you double it over and make a loop, what does that mean. do you mean a slip not? I did a slip knot type of thing and it tightned like crazy?

(Message edited by mc_x15 on September 25, 2008)
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-25-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
What i use to do was use a moutain climbing knot pretty easy to make just google it.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
when i would shorten the rope for my wife I would put something in the knot like a bolt or cigarette lighter. Makes it easy to get the knot out and doesn't hurt the rope.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 5:26 AM Reply   
JDUB, good call, that would def work. ill do that. thanks
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
I got tired of making the knots and ropes breaking
so I started shopping and finally found a short rope at the boat show
I think that the shortest loop is 55' on a 75 foot rope
it makes it nice when pulling kids, newbies, or learning new stuff
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-26-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
A knott called a Half or a full Hitch will work That is how I tie my rope off when I need to. If you do the half hitch twice its a Full hitch that will hold up anything. Also a really good way to tie up boats.

http://www.iwillknot.com/half-hitch/
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-26-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
http://www.iwillknot.com/two_half-hitches/
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Andy ill try that. i have a coated rope so it tends to slide alittle and if it doesnt slide then the coating strips off. haha. coated ropes kinda suck in my opinion.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
There are previous posts on ways to shorten a rope without using a knot. My favorite is to open you hand so you are looking at your palm. Loop the rope over your thumb so the rope is going down your arm. Then take the two strands coming down from your thumb and loop them around your hand. Make a fist. Pull the loop off your hand and place over your tower ball. Works great and immediately releases.
Old     (hobag)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2008, 11:30 PM Reply   
Accurate is comming out with a custom rope shortening device - it allows you to put the rope at any length - no take off loops needed. I saw it at surf
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-28-2008, 12:45 AM Reply   
Rope shortening device from accurate is amazing, i tried it out. Every WB boat should have one on the tower, you will never need to have more than one rope on your boat again. Super easy to change lengths when ever you want.