Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-22-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
http://alliancewake.com/show_photo.php?rider=&photographer=&location=Expo& id=6214

I havent been able to find any information on the new roam just pics. I want wondering the reasons for the changes in the tip shape..Does anyone have any info on the shape of the new Roam for 2009?

Thanks,
CH
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
seems the side cut has changed too... i forget where i saw the pic, but i swear i have seen a full length pic and it definitely looked as thought the parabolic design is gone and it resembles a wakeboard shape more.

a few guess (not expert) is that the tip and tail may allow it to sit a little deeper? and the mid section/side cut is for increased surface area to get more pop.

possibly going in a direction to compete a bit more with the other flex boards out there?
------------------------

see what some HY members say later i guess. i am interested too
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-22-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
The side cut resembles the original shape more. Both shapes had unique characteristics to them. Seems like the original worked better wake to wake and the second generation shape had more of a snowboard feel.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-23-2008, 5:03 AM Reply   
Here ya go....I posted it earlier on another thread. No more parabolic shape

Upload
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
Wow, what a terrible looking board. The nice thing about the old design, just as in snowboarding, when doing presses it allowed a nice stable area to press on. All that new design will do is promote falling off the side unknowingly and eating stuff.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Brett, looks can be deceiving. Have you ridden it yet? not many people know very much about the new shape, not saying I do. Give it a break!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
actually i think i could hold better presses on the first shape than the parabolic shape. i cant wait to ride this new one.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
if you need a flex board with a wide stable nose just to do a nosepress, you shouldn't be pressing at all. that takes all the skill out of it. Learning to press on a flexboard also promotes bad style, cause you can just lock both your knees and lean forward.

I think the roam is a dumb board in general, but this one looks like you can at least set a decent edge on it, which is why the parabolic roam sucked. It was just terrible on edge
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
i loved the original roam but the side cut ones were pretty lame
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
I love that my "boat board" is still in brand new condition!!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
luke i beg to differ. if you learn to set the propper edge that board rode really well. i could do all my normal tricks as well as bottom end mobes like whirlys, crowmobes, roll to blinds(not technically a mobe but close enough, and almost kgbs. you may think the board is dumb but it actually can teach you alot about edging propperly
Old    K.B.C.            09-25-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
^^^fully agree. I rode the roam a bunch this summer. It got me through a few weeks when I was too banged up to ride my regular board. It exposed a lot of flaws in my riding I was unaware of, specifically in regard to edging. I think the roam is a super fun board to switch it up with from time to time
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-25-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
If anybody knows roam it's callen he will do more tricks on it than most people can do on a conventional board.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
westsidarider, I know it'll hold an edge, it just didn't feel right to me. I think it might have been the edge to edge transfer of it. I know about proper edging, when I was testing base materials for ronix, I had an ibex that I couldn't stand the fin placement on, so I rode it completely finless, and still had all my boat tricks on that thing.
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Luke, saying if you need a flex board to nosepress you shouldn't be pressing is just straight up ignorant. It would be like raging on a snowboarder because they ride a forum manual or ride kink to hit rails because it has a softer flex. I would also like to see a person who locks both knees and leans forward to press. A board that promotes bad style, now that is a new one.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
umm, look at the cover of wakeboard mag, about two years ago, with pat panakos on the cover pressing the roam. ugliest sh*t i've ever seen. both knees locked, the front half of the board flat on the rail, the tail bent up a little. that, or pb's method, take the cake as worst WBM cover to date