Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-29-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
The story as short as possible: I installed a completely new stereo system this winter. Everything went well, and the system worked well in the garage and during initial tuning. The system was tuned, but seemed less than optimal (Pro80s).

Two weeks ago I was out for the second time, and all the speakers were much quieter than I remembered at the first tuning. I adjusted the gains on the amps a little to get things sounding good. The odd thing was that I barely touched the gain control and the sound level jumped. The sound then continued to drop off throughout the day. I didn't know what the problem was. Finally I realized that my second battery was not getting charged. This is the battery that powers the stereo system.

The next weekend, I fully charged the batteries, and turned the gain of the EQ down to about 1/3 (I found out that I had the gain on the EQ (ws-420) too high. I had it at half, and was told late that it should be closer to 1/3). I was able to tune the interior speakers and amps to sound even better than before with the eq level up.

Here is the problem I can't figure out. The tower speakers would not produce any sound at all. No fuzz, no hiss, nothing. I tried everything I possible could for 30 minutes with no sound. I then started looking for the manual for my amps, and the tower speakers all of the sudden start playing. No one is in the boat at this point. They played for about 5 minutes, and then without any pop or indication, just turned off. I never got them back on that night.

The next day at the lake, they came on when I got in the water, but not on the ramp. They ran for ~30 minutes , and then stopped. This time, they cut in and out a little before they completely quite. They never came back on.

I really don't think it could be a loose wire. I checked everything, and I have very good RCAs.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't know what to try next.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-29-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
sounds like a bad amp. try another amp.

did you test to make sure the speakers work?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-29-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Darin,

What amp is running the towers? There will usually be an LED on the amp. Some are green when on and go into red when in protection. So see what that is doing.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
"Finally I realized that my second battery was not getting charged. This is the battery that powers the stereo system."

I see that you charged the battery, but did you solve the reason it was not getting charged? I would fix this before tearing the whole thing apart. $.02
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-29-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Not trying to hijack, but my stereo with 1-set of Pro 80's are doing the EXACT same thing... hopefully we can figure this out together. I've spent hours fiddling with the amp trying to get it figured out... it seems like loose wires, but after I retighten and get everything working again... the amp goes into protection mode.

My amp is a JL 300/2.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-29-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Check to see if there is a short in between the amp and the speakers. Take the speakers down and install a different set of speaker wires right to the speakers, a 3 foot section etc...See what the amp does. Try them one at a time. If it works fine, you have a short up the tower etc...If one does fine and the next one sends it into protection. You may have a blown speaker. Usually if there is a short, the amp will go into protection right away. You can also use a meter and check the speakers etc...But whenever there is an issue with a system. Best thing to do is a step by step and rule out the basics, like a shorted wire, blown speaker etc...Then you can see what it is.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-29-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
It is not a blown speaker, and the amp is not going into protect mode. I checked the lights on the amp, and the same ones that are on for the interior are on for the tower speakers.
I agree with Cal, it seems like a loose wire, but the circumstances and series of events don't seem like a loose wire. If a loose wire, why would they all of a sudden come on when no one is in or near the boat. Something would need to move to reconnect or eliminate the short. I will try a few more things this Thursday, but I really don't have a plan yet. Any other possibilities?
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-30-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Try switching the speakers to your known working amp - assuming it is in same wattage ballpark of your pro 80 amp. That will at least tell you what side of the amp the issue is on.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-30-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
did you try another amp? Your amp could be bad, just b/c it's not in protect does not mean it's workgin fine.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-31-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Darin,

From your description I might still suspect a voltage issue. If your battery is toast it will still heat up but never really accept a deep charge. Batteries left in a discharged state will rapidly decompose.

Also, temporarily hook your amplifier turn-on lead to another source just to eliminate the CD player’s trigger.

Is the amp under a drink holder? Could be water damage? Are both batteries hooked up to the alternator and the amplifier while the boat is running?

David E.M.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
David,
I will check the voltage issue. The battery could be shot. It is a deep cycle from Walmart, but it is brand new.
Can't be the CD trigger because the other amps are working fine.
The fact that the other amps are working just fine tells me it is not a voltage issue.
The amp has never gotten wet. I have only had the boat out with the stereo 3 times.
This last time I had both batteries hooked up to the alternator, and the amps.
Thanks.