Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2008, 3:39 AM Reply   
Those of you who own 07 & 08' Supras, have any of you experienced any problems with black residue from the platform covering getting on your seats. Reason I ask is I have an 03' SSV and the stuff gets everywhere so I went out and got the newer material to replace the old. When I was at the dealer to pick up my order I saw an 08' 22 SSV (sweet boat!) so I rubbed my fingers on the covering and low-and-behold the stuff came off on my fingers. I'm just hoping that this problem doesn't continue to persist because it is a huge pain in the arss. Thanks and I hope you're enjoying those beautiful boats. Maybe if I'm fortunate I'll be sporting one fairly soon.
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-18-2008, 3:56 AM Reply   
Yes I get it on my 07, it is a huge pain in the ass.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2008, 4:48 AM Reply   
Keith,

Do you happen to know if the 07' & 08' have the same platform covering? The stuff I bought is a single piece with some wavey design and "Supra" stenciled in it. Having to deal with that would piss me right off especially considering it has been an ongoing problem for quite awhile now. Thanks for your help.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-18-2008, 4:55 AM Reply   
i have no problem with mine.......
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-18-2008, 5:11 AM Reply   
no proble, with my 04 GG
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2008, 5:17 AM Reply   
No problem with my '06. I do have another platform that has the Supra logo and wavy pattern on it, but I haven't used it yet.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
I had no problem with my 04, my 07 has a little but it doesnt' bother me.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
Anyone happen to know what year they changed from the 3-piece to the single piece? I've seen a couple of pics of the 07' with the 3-piece and the 08's have the single. The 3-piece dates quite a few years back. I also keep my boat moored thus exposed to the sun which may have something to do with it.

Again, thanks for your replies.
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-18-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
JHG,

The 07's and 08's appear to be different but I have no idea what the make up is. Texture and design is certainly different.

I put a throw rug down in the boat for everyone to wipe their feet on when they get it, doesn't get used so I chase the kids around with a rag.

Initially I thought the black stuff was soot from the exhaust, we do a lot of idling around so I thought it was building up. Since it's my first boat with a cat converter I thought maybe it made more of a mess.

Who knows what it is. Just one more reason to carry a detail kit with you in the boat.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-18-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
07 GG 24SSV, no problem with the platform.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
I remember this coming up a few years ago too. I have never had issues with it nor have any of the supra owners I know in the NW..... Makes you wonder what it is???
-Do you idle for long periods of time or go slow to put around places? Maybe it is exhaust?
-Do you leave your boat in the water?
-Is it exposed to sunlight all day?
-Certain areas of the country?

There has got to be some factors, but who knows?
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
Keith,

I hear you about chasing everyone around with a rag but the stuff still gets everywhere, lots of footprints etc,. It's definitely residue from the platform covering. I'm hoping the 08' guys weigh and tell me everything has been resolved otherwise I just wasted some money that would have been better spent on Gator Grip or HydroTurf.

I know this has been beat to death...I hope Skier's Choice has been listening. On the other hand, the 08" I saw yesterday was impressive. They have come a long way with fit, interiors and overall design. I love the look..
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
I changed mine out last year to Hydroturf. I spoke with an engineer at Hydroturf about the issue and here's what he told me....

He said that the company that provides Skier's Choice with their platform material manufactures the material first and then applies a UV inhibitor on top. When exposed to sunlight over time the UV inhibitor wears off. Once the UV inhibitor wears off, the sunlight (UV rays) start to break down the material itself. The black residue isn't exhaust or anything, it's actually the platform material itself that has broken down and started coming off.

Hydroturf supplies Malibu with their platform material and they manufacture it a little differently. Instead of applying a UV inhibitor to the top of the material they mix a UV inhibitor in with the material itself. I've had Hydroturf on my boat for about a year now and so far no I've had residue at all tracking in my boat.

I would guess that the reason why this issue occurs with some Supras and not others has something to do with how often the platform is exposed to sunlight. I store my boat outdoors and my mooring cover does not cover the platform. Therefore, my platform is exposed to sun all day, every day. Perhaps those that store their Supra indoors or have a cover that covers the platform do not encounter this issue because the sun has not had sufficient exposure time to break down the UV inhibitor?
Old     (moomba55)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Richard is exactly right. I had the same problem on my 04 moomba. I replaced it with gatorgrip.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
that makes sense... i knew there had to be other factors and hence why noone in the NW has experienced it.... we don't see the sun... ha ha
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Makes sense, my 04 was stored on a lift outside but I had a custom cover made coverign the platform, my 07 sits on the same lift ( boathouse style), but no custom cover...and I'm getting a little of the black residue after about a year.
Old     (907division)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-18-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have a brand new 07 22ssv and had the old three piece rubber one. went in to my dealer and he said he noticed that i had the old one and gave me a new one piece and said that supra was giving people new ones if thier boat was still under warranty.... but how true that is, im not sure. its just what my dealer told me.
Old     (moomba55)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Peter that is true but the same thing happens to the new piece after about a year depending on how much sun it gets.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Yeah I had mine replaced by my dealer, and after a year same old thing.

I store my boat on a lift at my dock, so it sits outside everyday. And this is in Seattle - even less sun than Diggs down in Portland.

I find that scrubbing it with a brush and biodegradable soap every couple times out helps a bit, at least for that day
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
i have a 2008 22ssv with 50 hrs. it's already coming off the odd time.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-18-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
my 07 mobius lsv has the same problem...i just put it on the lift for 2 weeks and now people are getting the black shiz all over my boat. pisses me off...i put down a coat of protectant on wednesday so well see how that works tomorrow.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-18-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
I have an 03 and it never comes off. I love that stuff on my platform. My kids left it out all last year in disco and it still is great.
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-18-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
I have it with my 07 21V
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-19-2008, 4:22 AM Reply   
Wow, the responses are helpful but also depressing. I was hoping that this issue was finally resolved however that doesn't appear to be the case. Much like Tom, I put on some protectent (grout sealer) which resulted in a modest improvement but it only lasted a few weeks before it coming back. Kind of wish I hadn't bought the new covering now and had gone with HydroTurf.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-19-2008, 4:26 AM Reply   
I'm going to forward this thread to Skier's Choice to see what they have to say. I've heard they're real responsive to their customer's concern so we'll hopefully get something that satisfies us.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-19-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Two years ago when a thread like this came up they were very responsive. Rick Tinker himself sent me a PM with who to contact at Skier's Choice to get new platform pads. I contacted the person Rick told me to contact and he sent me new pads the very next day. Awesome service!

The only problem was that the new pads were tracking residue through my boat within 6 months.
Rather than call Skier's Choice again I just decided to go with Hydroturf and be done with it. It's been a year or so and I've had no issues at all