Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-28-2007, 4:37 AM Reply   
I was sent the attached link by Jeff Page from Inland Surfer:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/sessioninfo/2007/interim/adminrules/2601300701.pdf

In short the proposed legislation banned teak surfing AND wake surfing in Idaho.

Larry Mann of Trick Boardz and Fresh Air Exhaust has joined the AWSA as our Legislative Laison and talked with the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation staff

As of yesterday, Larry through the AWSA has provided the IDPR the NASBLA model law and text from various other states and it is our understanding that the word wakesurfing has been stricken from the proposed legislation.

A special request to folks in Idaho, please let everyone know if we find that anything changes with this proposed legislation.

Kudos to Jeff Page of Inland for being on top of these issues and also to our very own Larry Mann for his dedication to the sport and professionalism in achieving results.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-28-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Wow! Nice job Larry for getting this resolved quickly!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-28-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Thanks Larry and Jeff!!! I live in Idaho and wakesurf year around. I can't imagine life without wakesurfing!
Sue
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-28-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Wow, surprising coming from Idaho. Usually a conservative state that doesn't like government regulation!
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-28-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
thanks for all the wk, Larry...jeff page
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-28-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
I don't know what we'd all do without politicians out there protecting us from ourselves.
Old     (norcalrider39)      Join Date: May 2007       09-28-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Kinda crazy that they would consider banning wakesurfing when we bungee jump off the Perrine bridge in Twin Falls in broad daylight with law enforcements blessing and the fact that the Perrine is a favorite for beginning base jumping! There is also no helmet law. Hmmmm, wakesurfing must be really dangerous

Way to stay on top of things Larry and Jeff
Old     (gnboatn)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
There will be a Public hearing at The Idaho Parks and Rec on November 14th @ 6:00pm. Located at 5657 Warm Springs Ave Boise, Id. If you have any questions call Phil @ the Water Ski Pro Shop 208-336-3270 Please be there
Old     (wazzu_wakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-22-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Thank you Jeff and Larry... my home lake is in idaho... u guys have saved me from a few hundred dollars in tickets
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-23-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Phil,
I will be there. Thanks for the post.
Sue
Old     (surf22)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-23-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
i could understand banning it behind anything but an inboard, but i mean come on...i could maybe even see a requirement for the boat to have a clean exhaust of some sort installed or factory, but i just dont see the need whatsoever to ban surfing. i hope it all works out for idaho, and never makes it to michigan!
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-24-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
I'll be there to represent !
Old    surfdad            10-26-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Everyone in the Idaho area, we truly need your help and support. HUGE prop to Phil at the Water Ski Pro shop for staying on top of this and gathering enough signatures to grant the public hearing.

The original verbiage, that I spoke of above, was taken out, HOWEVER, in it's place seems to be a 10 feet rule. In an email from Larry Mann he conveyed to me:

"The problem is they apparently have language, and the attitude, that deals with proximity. No one may surf within 10 foot of the boat."

Wakesurfing is safe and we need as many folks in the area to show up for the public hearing.

Please give Phil a call at 208-336-3270 if you have questions.

Thanks again Phil!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-26-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
sounds like they are confused on the difference between and inboard and outboard boat. i'll get in touch with the Dbot5 guys - they are in ID - to see if they can rally some more support in the area