Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Just wanted to share the stoke with you guys! I've been trying backrolls on and off for the past two seasons, through a back injury which kept me off the water for 2 months this summer, and after trying about 6 yesterday and getting real close, went out today and stuck the first one I tried. Such an amazing feeling. Didn't get the first one on film but tried another the next set I took, nailed it, and got it on film. I was so pumped since our season here in MI is just about over.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here on the board over the last couple years.

-Roddy

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/HS-Backroll_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=21652
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
congrats man!!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-19-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
siiiick, that'll be me next year

so what camera are you using? i'm jealous
Old     (ilovelake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-19-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
yeah what kind of camera was that? nice quality...
Old    murrayair            09-20-2007, 12:14 AM Reply   
Nice job, man! It always feels good to land a new trick.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-20-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
Looked smooth. Any tips for another rider in your same shoes...I have come close many times...but never stuck it. What do you think was the key step you took to land the trick?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
Nice board! Nice trick too.
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       09-20-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
wow, very smooth. Nice work
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
congratulations!!!! ill never forget the first time i landed that trick!! it took me approx. 75 tries befor i landed with the rope and rode away!!! VERy AWESOME!!!! whats the next trick for you!?!?

have a great day
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-20-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
Alright, first off good job. Second, you can do better than that.

Your edge is incredibly strong and yet you still kinda case the wake. With the cut you took, you could have boosted way into the flats. Here's what you are doing that is killing your pop and making the trick harder than it is.

1) Leaving the wake way too early - notice how as you start to ride up the wake you are already throwing the trick.

2) Throwing your head down - when you throw your head down, your body follows and you get very little "ups".

Try this, take the same progressive edge (which is money by the way) and ride all the way up. Don't throw the trick, ride up to the top of the wake and let the lip throw you. As you do this extend your head and chin upwards. If you combine all these you will get a big floaty backroll that doesn't look thrown . It will be vertical, slow and under control. Try it and tell me how it works.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
Way to "Share the stoke"

"That was hella sick"

Congrats man.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-20-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
the video wont plat for me
it's scrambled or something

great job anyway!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-20-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Brett, I do all my shooting with a Panasonic Lumix 10x zoom still shot camera. The videos come out suprisingly well.

Loren, the key to success for me was letting go with my rear hand about halfway through the rotation. I tried it many times with both hands and would get turned to revert and eat it hard. Letting go halfway keeps you body square to the boat. I was worried that it would start making me rotate mexican, but it didn't and I'm glad since the progressive roll looks 10 times better IMO.

Big Heavy, thanks a lot for all those tips. I'm going out tomorrow and will definately give it a shot and try to take it bigger. Hopefullly I'll throw up another vid.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-20-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
that video quality is amazing!!
i cant believe that wasnt a straight video camera!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-21-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Big Heavy, tried a couple today, landed a decent one first set, and then last set of the day landed two more in a row, and took the second one out to the flats. Its amazing how the trick just clicks once you land it once or twice. Thanks for the pointers!
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
Congrats Roddy!

was that on the beautiful charlevoix? Not too many inverts being thrown down on that lake :-) sweet.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2007, 12:45 AM Reply   
Thats awesome bro! It really is a trick that once you get the hang of you wonder why it took so long to land the first one. Keep trying to take it up and off the top, you will be able to start trying a roll to revert or grabbing it soon. Good job, keep it up!
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-24-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
Roddyrod, Nice roll. I just started trying them. Looks like I got a long rode ahead, although & I agree, dropping the handle looks & feels more natural. My problem is getting up the nerve to launch at full speed then flip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Es0t__zRgc
I also shoot most of my stuff w/ a Panasonic Lumix TZ1. For a point & shoot, its a great camera.