Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-16-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Hi all - I know there are thousands of "Which Board Should I Choose" threads and reviews on the latest boards out there, but was hoping I could get a few quick pointers as I try to narrow down my choice for a new board. After being out of wakeboarding for 5 years (sold boat, went back to school), a lot has changed and the choices are overwelming. I'm trying to firm up a choice for a new board that will last me a few years and enable me to progress (I'm a beginner rider - consistent HS w2w, inconsistent TS w2w, close on a backroll). I'm coming from a 2006 CWB Marius 140 cm (w/ 2006 LF Watson OT bindings) and looking for something much lighter (my current set-up is pretty heavy) and something with a 3-stage rocker that has strong, predictable straight-up wake-to-wake pop. I will be riding a factory ballast only '08 SANTE 210 set-up if that helps, so no monster sacked out wake until I develop solid fundamentals. I'm 5'10", 165lbs, and would like soft landings if possible (i'm 32).

Four choices I've been considering are the following:
1. 2011 Ronix One 138 cm ATR - with One boots
2. 2011 Ronix IBEX 139 cm ATR - with Relik boots
3. 2011 LF Watson Hybrid 139cm - with Watson CT boots
4. Something in the 2011 Slingshot Line since everyone is saying that flex is where it is at (even behind a boat) and flex is where everything is heading.

I will be riding only wake (no cable and no rails). For reference, I rode a 2005 HL Premier a few times a few years ago and loved how easy it was to ollie back and forth between switch and regular...even though that was probably not deemed a very "poppy" board, its predictability and upward push felt pretty good to me.

Thank you in advance for the help....much appreciated.

PS: I've noticed that most places, if not all, do not DEMO anymore as that use to be the answer on here ("go DEMO to decide what you like/feels right to you"), so that's the reason for the post.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-16-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
Don't go new. Get an old Premier or an ERA off craigslist. Otherwise, a Classic Watson would be my suggestion.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-17-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
A-dub,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know how far back the current 2011 Classic Watson shape goes (i.e. is it the same shape as the 2009, 2010 Watson)?

Thanks!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-17-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Hmmm.... I would try the new CWB Transcend. It's an awesome "do anything" board that rarely disappoints. Mix that up with some AA bindings and you'll have a super light, fun to ride package. The new gear is a ton lighter than the old stuff. Particularly if you get off that picnic table of a Marius. I could never make that generation Marius pop for me.

If you want something really fast and poppy, try the CWB Faction board. It's my current favorite. Ride it with the Marius fins for a nice loose ride. I love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. You've gotta have pretty strong edging technique.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
too bad you're not on the westside. i'd sell you my '09 LF shane 142 that's only been ridden a handful of times. it has a great straight-up pop and super soft landings.

btw, don't wait until you progress to sack out your boat. trust me when i say that it's better/easier to learn off a big wake.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-17-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
Thanks Evan and Umali. Yeah, my Marius is nice on landings but it just feels really heavy and sluggish to me otherwise...seems like a newer generation board would be more responsive and poppy since the technology has improved since 2006.

How is the Ronix One or Ibex as far as great straight-up pop and if it does have good pop, is it predictable enough for a beginner to progress on?

Out of curiousity, is a Watson Classic better suited to be riden behind a boat rather than the Watson Hybrid? The Hybrid feels super light so I was wondering if its a bad choice for wake riding only.

Thanks guys...appreciate the education on this stuff.
Old     (coda281)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-17-2011, 11:45 PM Reply   
for your "strong and predictable wake to wake pop" i've heard the 2011 liquid force watson and the 2011 liquid force s4 are really good in that sense... you also said you were thinking about a SS and i have been wanting to try those out as well since everyone is talking about them! good luck
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-18-2011, 2:38 AM Reply   
fyi, a board doesn't come equipped w/ predictability. that comes from proper use of fundamentals every time out. if your fundamentals are inconsistent, the pop will be inconsistent.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-20-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I actually found a 2009 Watson 138cm on Craigslist this Saturday for $200 (brand new, still in the shrink wrap). Picked it up yesterday afternoon for $180, put my 2006 Watson bindings on it, and then took it out for a run last night. Landed a backroll 3rd attempt (my first time to land one)...can also stay in the air long enough to grab the board and actually hold it rather than just slapping at it. This thing is so much lighter than my old board and just launches you straight up ('08 210 Team stock ballast, 22 mph, 4 people in the boat)....and the landings are super soft. I'm very happy with it and had the most fun I've ever had wakeboarding last night on it. Throwing that CWB picnic table in the trash! (kidding, going up on Ebay/Craigslist).

Thanks again.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-20-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Cool man... Glad you found something that works for you. Have a great summer.

Joe, while I would totally agree with you about predictability, I would add that some boards are definitely more stable than others. A more stable board will feel more predictable to the averagre rider that is prone to having some inconsistencies in their riding. Anyhow.... boards are totally personal preference. I just got on a Vibe for the first time and am totally loving it. Something that I didn't picture happening.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-20-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
Thanks, Evan. Have a great summer as well.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-20-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Glad it worked out! Sorry I didn't answer you back in time.
Quote:
btw, don't wait until you progress to sack out your boat. trust me when i say that it's better/easier to learn off a big wake.
Quote:
fyi, a board doesn't come equipped w/ predictability. that comes from proper use of fundamentals every time out. if your fundamentals are inconsistent, the pop will be inconsistent.
IMO, fundamentals are a lot easier to learn when you're not on as big as possible wake. stock ballast is more than enough. Too many people load up a boat and make a huge wake only to not be able to handle it, and end up getting hurt. It is getting more and more common for beginners to hurt ankles, knees, and even get knocked out, and usually they're on way too big of a wake for their fundamentals. People have done fine on ski boats, fishing boats, and flat water, especially with todays gas prices there is little to no need for most people to load up a boat past stock ballast, specifically in newer wake boats with plenty of stock ballast. (None of this is stating you are a beginner Andrew, I just see too many people getting this type of advice and never progressing because their wakes are actually too big for them to handle).
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-23-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
A-dub, no worries at all. I am very much a beginner, but I'm focused on improving. I think there are pluses and minuses to running a bigger wake when learning, but for me, I'm going keep it stock for a while. My toeside technique needs a lot of work and if the wake is too big, I get bucked off balance and can't land w2w. Even my stock ballast is a bit much right now for my toeside jumps, so when I'm working on toeside, I run no ballast at all. I need to focus on toeside drills for a while I think to get use to the twisted up position and maintaining proper form coming off the wake (I usually bend at the waist as soon as I hit the wake, the nose of the board stays way too high, and I can't land over my toes...slide out on my heelside edge).

I already have the fly-high sacs to plump into my boat, but going to keep them in the closet for a while.