Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-15-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
I just wanted to get the opinion of other people who have re-done the systems in their boats. I'm about to run 3 amps, something around 2000W RMS, redoing tower speakers with wetsounds and putting in a 12" JL W7. Should i bother with a capacitor? I have installed many systems in cars and know the pros and cons to having one; I just wanted to know what others have done to their boats and was it worth the extra buck?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       02-15-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
If you post this in the boats and accessories section you will get more answers than you know what to do with.
Old    mojo            02-15-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
short answer is NO.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-15-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
Chris- this topic comes up often when guys are looking repower or update their system. I think it was on the centurion forum last week that guys debated the need.

My take is this: skipthe cap and invest i'n additional batteries. Caps have traditionally found there way into automotive audio setups because the power cable runs are 15+ feet running from front to back of the vehicle. This means one could loose voltage over that length to the amplifiers. A cap i'n place would stiffen the B+ and provide better supply to the amps. However i'n boats, the battery bank is usually located near the amplifiers , and this i'n turn eliminated the runs. Short answer is cap not needed.

As an energy storage device, a battery is better.

Lastly, i'n the off season while the boat is i'n storage the cap can actually work against you by becoming a parasitic drain on your system if the charging system doesn't keep it charged... I.E. Boat not i'n use.

Hope that helps,

Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-15-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
Chris,
While a stiffening capacitor does not address the most important supply issues in a boat, you are on the right track with your concerns about maintaining high voltage.
Tuning, enclosure design, battery reserves, high efficiency amplifiers, quality cables and connections plus a good battery charger are just a few of the things that can positively impact efficiency and supply and will translate to better performance.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-16-2011, 5:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate your time... As of right now i have 2 deep cycle batteries but like you said ill probably invest in another battery or two to help keep from draining the batteries when engine is not running. Have yall found one battery to be better than others? I know optima make a solid battery I use them in my truck...

Thanks

Chris
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-16-2011, 6:22 AM Reply   
Chris,
I'm very tolerant of just about any battery brand as I haven't had a repetitive bad experience with any of them thus far. Generally its the scheme or charging disciplines that are the issue when there are problems. With a woofer that deserves alot of power like the W7 and resulting amplifier, you're going to exhaust reserves quickly. So whether an AGM or flooded, look for the best amp/hour value you can get. As the battery reserves increase the scheme will get a little more complex because other concerns like preserving your alternator come into play. Make sure that you have a plan for restoration and maintenance beyond just the alternator.
Optima is fine. The more compact dimensions (group 34 vs a 24 height) come in handy in some vehicle installs. A Deka AGM group 24 has the same footprint with greater capacity. As you parallel multiple batteries they should be identical in all respects including age/usage.

David
Earmark Marine

Last edited by david_e_m; 02-16-2011 at 6:25 AM.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
I've asked quite a few question about batteries for boat stereo's, and not once did anyone ever recommend an optima.

A lot of people seem to be happy with Deka group 31's.

I just got 2 Trojan 6v batteries and wired them in a series to make 1 12v battery. I have 315AH with these, it would take 6 Optima's to equal that (according to Brett). I haven't got a chance to test them on the water yet. The downside is they're huge...about 200lbs total. Here's my recent thread about them
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785899

Sweet S-bend in your profile pic! I notcied you're in Houston, I'll be up there the weekend after next for the Chilli Cookoff. I think he might have 2 left, if you're interested in them I could possibly bring them up for you. $100 each, they're around $300 each new.
His craigslist add.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/2201121709.html
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-16-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
Ben,

I would love to take those batteries off your hands. They look like the batteries we use in our golf cart at the beach, they are HUGE. I'll just have to figure out where to put them and how to tie them in with the others. Would it be better to keep them seperate from the other bateries and use a typical golf cart charger to keep them maintained or tie them in with the others so the alternator can keep a charge on them? I will also be headed to the Rodeo cookoff Thursday and Friday. My company sponsors a few different tents and we are involved with many different Rodeo comitties; needless to say, I'll be hanging around the rodeo for most of March. I won't be around for Saturday or Sunday because I'm headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras; so let me know what would be a good time to meet up with you.

Once again THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Chris
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
No problem Chris. Just so you know, I don't have the batteries for sale. I bought 2 on Sunday, and I think he might still have the other 2 for sale. I will call him in a bit and find out if he still has them. If so, you 2 can work out the payment details and I'll deliver them for you if you decide to buy them. I'll be arriving in Houston Friday evening.

I'm not hooking mine up to the alternator. I really don't see the point in doing that. I'm sure others will give you a billion reasons why you should, but I have no intentions to do that, mainly because my boat isn't a wakeboard boat and the only time it would see a charge is the 20 minutes it takes to drive to and from party cove. I bought an onboard smart charger for them, but I have shore power. I'll be mounting them under the passenger console right next to the amps. The amps and accessories will be running off these batteries. There's a number of ways you can set it up, I'm no expert, just keep in mind they're big and heavy.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-16-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Thanks Ben Ill take a look when i get home!