Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2009, 4:21 AM Reply   
I saw a news report about a storm that overturned boats. I skipped this year, what happened?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
from what i heard a storm rolled in and ended up sinking a couple of boats one being an air nautique. On one of the other boats that sank two people drowned. From what i heard it was a lady and an 8 year old girl that drowned.
Old    atom_ant            05-26-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Craziest storm I've ever been in! It went from being flat calm to 7 ft. swells on the lake in about 5 minutes. We were in a '89 Ski Nautique 2001 and just about sank too. Our friends '07 Malibu did sink. We hit a wave in the Nautique and everything in the boat died....motor and all electrical. Took two waves over the bow and side and at this point there was 2" of water above the FLOOR with water still pouring over the sides of the boat. I thought we were goin down. We got the motor to start and then I started driving the boat (friend/owner was driving) and had to peg the throttle just to get over the waves due to all of the water in the boat. We see a marina, pull into it and all get out of the boat. The rub rail was about 2" from the water. The bilge quit working when we hit that first wave, so every bit of water stayed in the boat. Finally got the bilge working again and watched it pump water out for about 30 mins. And yes life jackets were on board and out. The hell with Silver Glen and Lake George. First time...and last.

There was a total of 8 boats that sank and 2 kids drowned there and one was in critical condition, but just heard last night that they didn't make it. Apparently they were wearing lifejackets, but went inside the cabin on the boat to get out of the storm and when it capsized got stuck inside. Very sad situation for that family.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
That's what I saw in the news. I've come back from the Glen in nasty weather as the afternoon winds pick up...it does not take much for a ski boat to get into trouble. After a couple trips where I could not keep all the bow up over all waves, I added a second pump just to be safe. Ironically, on the next trip, my oldest pump froze. There's not much you can do with a flame out but pray it restarts.

I love going to the Glen but you have to be aware and prepared.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Wow....Sorry to hear that, and Autsin sounds like the closed bow probably saved you.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
One of the reasons I would love my boat to be self bailing with a more level/upturned bow.

The news of the drowned kids is awful. You think your doing things right by throwing on a life preserver but you don't think of being trapped.

I wonder if the boats that sank were on the hook at the time?
Old    atom_ant            05-26-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
The closed bow had a LOT to do with it. My buddies Wake Setter that sank took two waves over the bow and it was done. He's been in boats all of his life and knows how to drive. He said that one wave came over and and filled the boat with water. When the second one came the boat sort of turned as the nose and starboard side went under. He said the water just sucked everyone out.

I know that they saw 4 other boats that were under way that sank right around them. I was told there was a total of 8.

In hindsight, we should have waited it out at the glen, but when we left it was still nice out. We were staying to the North, so while we were headed back the storm rolled in. We were told there was 60 mph winds, so this thing was moving fast.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
It's a long run north to safe harbor I can see how you could get caught. Your very exposed once you start. The trip south toward Astor is a lot shorter but it sounds like this storm moved way too quick for those in the middle of the lake.

By how quickly the Wakesetter got sucked under, it sounds like there was no possibility to put the storm to your stern much less turn sideways.

I've have forced my wife to "hold out" in the glen twice instead of trying to beat afternoon storms knowing how the waves kick up. Once I turned around knowing I could not keep the bow from stuffing. I've added a few cheap rain jackets for those situations. I'd share your story with her but I don't want to create fears. I'll just make everyone wait and have to gear to be comfortable.

I've had some rough rides through Lake George but I'm going to take your lesson learned to heart especially when I have my 2 year old aboard. Thanks for the report.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-28-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Hey Tim - sorry to "hijack" the thread, but can you send me the link to that vacation place on the St Johns if you still have it?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-28-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
No link as of yet but I'll PM some information. You'll never go back to the Jungle Den. Upload
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-28-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
YEAH! Thats what Im talking about! Send me the details so I can plan a trip!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Wow, thats crazy! I got caught in a storm on Lake Tahoe once that had me a little worried but it doesn't sound like it was anything like this.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
Ted,

Once the kitchen and bathroom renovation is complete I'll forward the rental details. The min will be 3 nights for about $425; 1 week $750, and it's fully furnished so you only need the boat, food, beer and toothbrush. It's a 2bed 2bath but you can sleep up to 6. I hope to have it done by the end of June.Upload