Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-12-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Ive seen events in Ohio and i was wondering if were going to have any events over on the west coast[Cali]?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-12-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
SD is working on a couple. He has to firm up venues.
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-13-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Show! i appreciate it
Old     (lumpdog)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-15-2009, 12:39 AM Reply   
The season is upon us, any updates for events on the west coast?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-15-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
It's raining back here like in Noah's time. Are you guys getting any this out west? I think water level is major one issue.

(Message edited by Bigshow on April 15, 2009)
Old    surfdad            04-15-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
and the OTHER reason is I'm a BUM! :-) Lake Yosmite in Merced on May 17th. We're still working on Lathrop and I need to tie down the City and County of LA, the State of California and the Feds :-) for the Castaic contest...but that will happen.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-15-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Do you need rope,I have some extra lying around somewhere.
Old    surfdad            04-15-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
LOL! That might help, Show! The Castaic venue always makes me crazy that is such a gorgeous venue, but it's federal, state and county government all rolled up into one beaurocratic ummmm...errr... organization :-)
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-16-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Are there more planned for Nor Cal than just Lathrop? I think I remember you did two right around Sac last year.
Old    farrah            04-16-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
So, Jeff, Lake Yosemite on MAY 17? are those for sure or are you still working on?
Old    surfdad            04-16-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Hey James - We just did Tulloch last year and I think in years prior we did 3 or 4 with INT League. No plans for anything more than Merced and possibly Lathrop here in NorCal.

That date and venue is solid Farrah - the Boats and prizes aren't. :-) Slim pickings in the sponsor department this year. :-) Worst case scenario is I'll bum some boats locally or use or Tige and pull the prizes from unused boards I have, or I'll just buy them.

The Castaic event is solid, I mean it WILL happen, as soon as I get those folks to give me a date.
Old    farrah            04-16-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
yay! fun!
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-16-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
where is the lathrop event being held at
Old    surfdad            04-16-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Farrah, I hope you and the crew will be able to make it. That water is likely to be cold - so bring a wet suit! :-)

Hey Gary, just so there is no confusion, the Lathrop event isn't certain at this point. The venue is the quarry south of I-205. If you know where Mossdale boats is located, the quarry is just west of Mossdale's site. For those familiar with that area, it's that 2 mile section of water right there. They are going to toss a launch ramp in for us and I need to locate some porta-potties and a dock :-)
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-16-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
Dad, What about the channel at Else. Even if the wind blowes its more protected than Castaic
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-17-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
And the water is much much cleaner.

Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
I have a 51" board that's brand new but needs a rail repair you can have and probably a few boardsocks.
Old    surfdad            04-17-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Sean you ROCK! I'd love anything you'd be willing to donate. Also, I'd like to save the board for an event where you can present it to the lucky winner. I'll save it for Castaic just in case you can attend (and compete too! :-) )
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-18-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
We will most likely be at all 3, in cali, def the norcal ones. My skis and boat are available for your use as needed.
Old    surfdad            04-18-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
Robert thank you so much! You, Amy and all the kids are such incredible folks and truly some of the unsung hero's of the sport. The contests that we stage are just for the love of the sport, not to sell some brand of boat or board.

The Garcia's bring their jet ski's and have their oldest kids picking up fallen riders at just about every event. You simply couldn't ask for more generous and supportive folks.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
no problemo, we want to see the sport continue.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-19-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Robert, thanks for supporting the sport.

We have the same kind of support here in Ohio. I could run events without my crew and some of the regulars.

I hope we can help the industry weather the storm this year and see everyone involved next year.
Old     (lumpdog)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
If we can make it to Lake Yosemite on the 17th, it will be our first contest. What do I need to know? I can't imagine how much work this must be to put on, is there something a family of 5 can do on the day of the event to help?
Old    surfdad            04-23-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Hey Doug,

I'm sorry for aking so long to get back to you, I didn't see your post! I'd love to have your help and trust me, there is ALWAYS stuff to be done on the day of the contest. Thanks so much for the kind offer.

These contests are really down-home grass-roots events - mostly just come and have a good time. You'll want to arrive as close to the opening of registration as possible as there is a bunch pf paperwork with registration. That lake is ALWAYS cold - it's a holding pond and is fed by just melted snow :-) Wet suit, heater shirt or the like is a good idea.

We sure hope you and the family can make it!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-23-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
Sounds like me and Locke need to carpool to these NorCal events. At least to find out what 'cold water' really feels like.

Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-24-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Jeff do you have a link to the event and how to sign up?
Old    surfdad            05-08-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Hey Greg I am so sorry! I didn't mean to ignore you, I just missed your post. The only thing I have is the announcement in the events section of WW.

We do have good news, Epic boats is bringing two boats to use for the contest...which just made my life exceptionally easier!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-08-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Make sure you take lots of videos of their surf wave! I want to see the epics all dialed for surfing!
Old    surfdad            05-08-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
That's a massive boat when weighted, hopefully I'll get someone to video for us. I'm am upside down in this contest and it's hard to get quality video folks without $'s. :-) I'm going to have to get Ragboy out there with his video equipment...the Garcia's are doing so much already I hate to ask for more! (but will :-) )
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
count on it. I will have at least 2 handhelds, 720p 60 frames per second cameras. Probably a third also.

(Message edited by ragboy on May 08, 2009)
Old    surfdad            05-08-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ragboy - I couldn't have pulled this contest off with you, Amy and the kids. You folks are the best and thanks so much for everything!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Very cool to see that you got some help, it was getting sticky there for a bit. Way to go Epic!
Old    surfdad            05-13-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
I have one of the boats in my yard! :-)

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-13-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
Nice. Is that the spare tire at the bottom of the trailer? Different but isn't everything on an Epic a little different?

Aren't they going to be upset when they get the boat back covered in EPS foam?

Have a good comp and big-ups to Epic for stepping up and providing boats.
Old    surfdad            05-13-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
LOL - what EPS foam? Yeah that's the spare. It's a nice boat, feels big. Truly HUGE props to Epic, they stepped in to save the day for us out in California.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-13-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
Won't they step in to save the day @ Castaic too?

please
please
please...