Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hello everyone. I just purchased a New but 06 Centurion Lightning, ballast, tower, speakers(not installed yet), trim, loaded. I have been shopping for the past several months and have looked carefully at all of the major brands etc...At least I thought I had. When I look on line at sites like usedboats, onlyinboards etc..., I see all kinds of Centurion Models but almost no lightnings in the market. I guess this worries me a bit and I am wondering if there is something wrong with or about this model that I need to be aware of.

I grew up waterskiing in the 80s and was actually pretty decent, but I am much the amateur in wake boarding. 10 days max each of the last two summers on my buddy's 22V Tige. I have 2 boys, 8 and 9 years who are ready to ride and will be going to wakeboard camp in NC in June.

I would appreciate any input on this model...is it a boat we can grow with if the boys really get into this? Is there something about the boat I should know or stay away from? I haven't had the boat in the water yet and won't til late April early May. I guess I am having some second thoughts since there don't seem to be many of these out there???

Thanks
Todd
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-28-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
There are plenty of them out there... Don't be concerned with your purchase... the only thing Ive ever heard was the tracking fins would mess up the wake which it did with mine(it was an 05) but I've heard thats no longer a concern. Besides that YES you and your sons will be able to progress with this boat for as long as you'll ride if you wanna keep it that long. Overall great boat lots of storage great surf wake, and good wakeboard wake(with lots of potential)
Heres the old boat got a new one summer of 06
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Thanks....trying to upload picture of mine, but keep getting errors too big and I don't know how to shrink it. I will figure it out and show it off shortly.

Thanks again!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
There are 2 Hulls

the old hull has been called

Elite V /Air Warrior elite V/Hurricane/Lightning

The new hull has been called

Elite V C4 /Air Warrior elite V C4/Lightning C4
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I see your license plates are Oregon. I am in Maryland now, but born and raised in Bend. Nice to meet you tyler and thanks for the info.
Old     (sk_centurion)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-28-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
I have a 05 Lightning I love it! It has been a great boat. Congrats on the new boat & Post some picks!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-28-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Todd if you use windows just go to accessories and open the pics in paint, and resize them by going to IMAGE... then SKETCH/SKEW, and it should work just resize em how small u need em.
PS Bend is great I love it and don't really know if I'll ever leave haha.
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2007, 4:27 AM Reply   
Here are the only pics I have so far. The boat is still on the lot. I decided to leave it there until I am ready to put her in the water rather than pay for storage at the lake. These pictures were emailed to me by the dealer...I haven't even gone to see it yet. Bought at the DC boat show.

Upload
Upload
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-01-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
Sweet ride. No need to worry. You will enjoy that boat. I'm on my second Centurion and have been very pleased. Otherwise I would not have another Centurion.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-01-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Todd - Is that a C4 hull model?

<hijack>
I'm looking for replacements for the factory speakers on my '05 Elite-V. Does anyone know what size they are? Any suggestions for decent replacements? I only use the head unit, no amps or subs, etc...
<hijack>
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Paul,
No, its not the C4. Part of the reason I went with the new 06 rather than 07 which only offered the C4. I checked out both models and although I suppose the C4 may have a bit better wake, I am not good enough to know the difference yet and my boys won't either for a while.

What I did notice...and didn't like was the shallow feel to the seats and interior of the C4.I doubt anyone would fall out, but it felt like it. I found the seats in the C4 to feel very low back or shallow and the regular hull just feels a lot more like we are secure and enclosed. Just my opinion....I am sure both are great...I just like the feel without the C4 better.
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Todd, I don't think those two pics are the same boat. I can't really tell what the first boat is. But I can't see the new for 06' exhaust vents on the rear top deck. The second pic is definitely an interior shot of an 05' Lightning non C4. I don't think they made a non C4 Lightning for 06'. I could be wrong though.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-01-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
That is a very nice boat and color combo...bought from Wayne I would suppose. You will have a great time with that boat don't worry.
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Rodney,
You are mostly correct. My boat is shrinkwrapped so the dealer sent me these to get an idea of it....however, I am pretty sure you are wrong about the C4 part. They only offer one 21'6" hull in the 07 model but in 06 they had both....at least I hope so. Going up to the dealer, about 2 hours this Sunday to actually see my boat and will find out.

(Message edited by tmorganti on March 01, 2007)
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
John,
Yes, bought from Wayne and happy. By the way....you own an SVT???

(Message edited by tmorganti on March 01, 2007)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
There where some early 06 non c4 built before they where mercury certified the vents where something that they had to do for mercury. However all thenew boats sold after certification get the 2 year warranty
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-01-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I did own several Fords actually never owned a cobra but I did own a beautiful 94 Lightning. The only Ford I have left is an 87 mustang that could be street legal and run's low nines all day long. If I were smarter the old girl would go into the 8's.

Actually found Wayne to be a very good guy just couldn't get them to budge a penny on the numbers when I was looking to buy a boat. If you look at the interior pic, to the right of the red wakesetter, that might be the boat I was trying to buy(red and gray 06 v-ride.)
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
So they did build a few non C4 Lightnings for 06' Kevin? And are these the newest hull?
Old     (tmorganti)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
I had a 97 Cobra and my neighbor, the one with the Tige...has an 03 Terminator that is running High nines right now. He has done a lot of work to it.

Looks like you found a nicer looking boat than the one in my pictures any way. I couldn't get them to budge much on prices either, which is also part of the reason I opted for the 06. I did get them to throw in Tower Racks, Speakers and an amp though.

Ever ride at Lake Anna in VA??
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
I have an 05' Centurion Lighting C4. Check profile. Love the boat. I have no issues with the wake and white wash. It has a great surfing wake. Can't go wrong.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Yes there where a few early non C4 boats built in 06 with the old hull
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-01-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Kevin,
So what is the difference in wake characteristics between the old hull and new hull?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
The old hull is based on an old Ski hull.
The wake is not as vert as the new hull ands
wont take near as much ballast

IMHO
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
I've got the old Lightning hull. I only have limited experience with other wakeboard boats, but I'd say the old Lightning wake is pretty vert too. The stock ballast is just about perfect.

I plumbed in additional ballast last year but only use it for wakesurfing. I run over 2,000 pounds for wakesurfing. I’ve re-pitched one of my props from 12 to 10.5, again for wakesurfing. I’ll see if the lower pitch prop lets me add weight for wakeboarding.

My Lightning has been a really great boat for me, a huge improvement over my old I/O.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-01-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Todd I am 2 hours north of Chessie. I/we only been doin this boat thing for 8-10 months, but the family is hooked. I towed my old centurion down to chessie with every intention of trading but they just said no, no, and no. I told them I would pay more for their boat but they just wouldn't budge. I eventually got a used bu(8.9 hours on the meter) for 5k less out of pocket.

My car is just a plain old 87 coupe she's reliable and easy to drive and very old school(no electronics.) I have had a hand in building that car since day one and will take her out at least 2 or 3 times this year but not much. My brother also has a 10 second driver(S-trim vortech on a 347 with a 6 speed.) Mustangs are great little cars to make go fast for not a lot of money.

Give a shout if you ever want to go out on the boats somewhere new or near the MD/PA border. Never been to VA...not with a boat, yet.