Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
I took delivery of my new boat last week and the salesman took us out on the water for an hour or two. I was filing the boat with gas on the way home when I noticed some hairline cracks in the gel coat. I took a closer look and noticed there we about a dozen cracks in the gel about 10 to 14 inches long. They are not very noticeable, but you can feel them if you run your hand over them. The gel coat is actually protruding slightly around a few of them. I immediately took it back to the dealer to show the cracks to them. I didn't get upset with them because it wasn't their fault it happened. They told me that the boat will be sent back to the manufacturer at the end of the season and will at a minimum receive an entirely new gel coat, but will likely get a whole new hull. I was OK with that explanation at the time, but I just paid $50K for a brand new boat and it has a bunch of cracks in the finish. I really don't feel like I should have to drive around in a boat that has cracks all over it for a season, but I have not yet gone back to the dealer to express my concerns. I know that if I bought a new BMW and I found a bunch of cracks in the paint I would probably get the car replaced immediately. Should I demand that the boat be replaced or get a refund, or should I just use it for the season and send it back to the factory. I am sure they could send it t the factory now, but I would be without a boat for most of the season. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I just spent a big chunk of money on this new boat boat. Again, I have not even approached the dealer with my concerns, I just wanted see what others though about my situation.
Thanks
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
If you just got the boat you'll probably put a few dings in it over this season. He probably just didn't want you to be without the boat for the season. Think of it as a dealer demo. You can ding up the gel coat and you'll be getting back a boat good as new. Its looking like a plus to me, you said they weren't that noticeable. If they were very noticeable that would be a different story.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-27-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
If you drive it all year then it's brand new and shiny next year and you don't even have to wax it.
If you send it back right away you don't have it next weekend.
If they are going to send it back, it might be a good idea to get something in writing, and document and photograph everything. Probably there would be no issues but it's an argument you don't need later on. Salesmen leave, dealers change, etc.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Would it be unreasonable to ask them to replace the boat? You can see/feel the cracks if you look closely.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
Your boat is made by Skiers Choice. You will be made whole. Tinker is the best rep there is... period.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-27-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
cliff's absolutely right. rick tinker (skier's choice vp of marketing) will take care of you and your boat.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-27-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
Well my boat just got back from a re gel and it looks good. Have your dealer get on it...
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-28-2007, 4:39 AM Reply   
Ryan,
Did it go back to the factory? How long did it take?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 4:59 AM Reply   
I'd ride it all season and return it at the end. Like other's mentioned, any scratches you put in will get fixed and it will look brand new next year. Plus you can find any other "bugs" in the boat this summer and have a list of these other things that need to be fixed when it goes back. I'd hate to be without a boat for the season. It does kind of make me wonder though how this boat got out of the factory without them noticing the spider cracks if you noticed them so quickly. I'm not sure how spider cracks "happen", so maybe it happened after it left the factory somehow?

Oh yeah, and others mentioned, get something in writing from the dealer just to avoid any hassle at the end of the season.

(Message edited by chaser on April 28, 2007)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
i would send it back now, unless they gave me a letter in writing saying they would let me have a 08 at no additional cost
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-28-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
Bob,

The cracks weren't there when I bought the boat back in February. I was told that the cracks develop after the fiber glass flexes (when the boat hits waves and such). If the gel was put on too thick it does not flex with the fiber glass but cracks instead.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
It's not structural and if you get it in writing I'd pimp the boat all summer and have a remanufactured boat for 2008 with new graphics and maybe even a new color. It sounds like the dealer is willing to work with and was offering you the most use of your new purchase. However, if if you can not live with it in its condition ask to have it fixed now, I'm sure they'll hook you up.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-28-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for your input guys. I think I will just run it for the season and send it back to the factory in the fall assuming the cracks don't get worse. Do you think they will re-gel the boat or actually replace the hull? Full replacement seems like a huge undertaking. I will get this in writing from the dealer and/or Skiers Choice when I take it in for the 20 hr check. You are probably right about being able to get 2008 graphics. That would be nice.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
evilone listen to what you are saying
get a new "remanufactured boat" you can not be serious this guy did not pay for a remanufactured boat he payed for a new boat
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-28-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
Do you have any pics of the cracks?
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-28-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
I will take some picks today and post them.
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-28-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Sweet just wondering how bad they are,I would really get everything in writing and take plenty of pics ,but really enjoy the season they will have the boat all summer if you turn it in now!! Well we are off to the lake for the day check back later.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-28-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
We used ours all last summer sent it back at the end of the season and walah its back in the driveway now...

I would push your dealer for an 08 though hindsight is 20/20. Who is your dealer?

If the cracks are below the rub rail I say time for a new boat 07 or 08.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-28-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Beyond getting it documented as said above, I will also jump on the band wagon and say Skier's Choice will take care of it. They are a great company, and that is coming from a Nautique fan. Every brand can have gel coat problems as it is the nature of the beast. They will NOT give you a new boat. Don't even expect a new hull as it is most likely repairable, but you never know, they might give you a new hull, with all your parts transfered over. Enjoy your boat as they are great boats from a reputable company :-)
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Just use it and enjoy it. This is why your boat has a warranty. I'm sure it's cosmetic and they'll fix it. It's really not a big deal. True, no fun to spend 40-50k and you find it has cracks. But, that is the nature of fiberlgass.

From a legal stand point, they are only obligated to repair the cracks. They're not obligated to replace your boat or your hull and I really doubt that will happen. That's it. All this talk about an 08, a new boat and so on is just a waste of energy. You could spend a bunch of time arguing with them or trying to get this or that or on attorney's fees ... and what you'll get is very frustrated, upset and have a headache.

The best recommendation I can make is not get yourself all worked up about it and stay relaxed. The outcome will be the same: gelcoat repaired. So, enjoy, don't worry and let them fix it at the end of the summer. Don't beat up the boat as others suggested on here. I'm sure the factory is only going to repair the cracked areas and the rest would be out of your pocket. Don't let this little glitch keep you from enjoying your purchase or your new boat. Good Luck.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-28-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
I highly doubt they will give you an 08. Alot of manufacturers will not warranty spider cracks in the gel coat, so I think it is good of skier's choice to redo the boat for you. I realize it is an expensive boat, but I highly doubt they will think it a big enough issue to give you a new boat. If they were going to do that they would have already done it. Like I said, I think they are taking good care of you.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
they (SC) will take care of it
Old    mendo247            04-28-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
personally id want a new boat.. you just paid 50k and now your gonna have your gelcoat redone which could bring on more problems down the road.. im sure they will take care of you.. but when you pay that much your boat should be in perfect condition, its brand new!! i would not want my brand new boat torn completely apart and put back together..

as far a your bmw comment.. they would not give you a new car lol.. i just had a friend who went through a major ordeal with them on their brand new car, after about 6 comebacks they had it fixed.. your first post sounded like you wanted a another boat.. go with your gut feeling!
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-28-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Its in the dealers hands on a new boat. They would send yours back get it repaired and sell it unless SC deemed it to get shredded(Highly unlikely)
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-28-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
50k and was told it is from flexing hitting waves...thats an excuse for a bad gelcoat job. this is not a problem with a Sanger. the only mfgr that uses the side bulkhead which eliminates flexing in the hull. and the gelcoats are beautiful.
i'd take it back get my money back and get a sanger. if thats an option.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
That is probably the most retarded post I've seen. If he wanted a sanger he'd have bought one.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
I just bought a new enzo, and if that happened to me, the boat would be getting returned for another boat. my boat hasnt' touched water, and it sounds like yours has only been on a dealer/client first run. that kind of stuff drives me bonkers when you put that kind of coin out. a new gel coat job just doesnt' cut the mustard. a neighbor here had the exact same thing happen(malibu) and the dealer gave him the boat for the season, and let him trade boat in on next years for the same amount he bought it for(he had to pay difference for the new boat) I would push for that personally. keep us posted.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-29-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
50k and was told it is from flexing hitting waves...thats an excuse for a bad gelcoat job. this is not a problem with a Sanger. the only mfgr that uses the side bulkhead which eliminates flexing in the hull. and the gelcoats are beautiful.
i'd take it back get my money back and get a sanger. if thats an option.

That has to be the most retarded thing I have read. His problem was a bad batch of gel. The gel just cracked not a structural integrity thing. And imo sangers compare to Tiges. Supra makes beautiful boats and his dealer should treat him right.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-29-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
05 and ryan,
its way more lame to tell him he just got a bad batch of gelcoat, that he should be OK with paying $50,000 for a boat that is cracking after 2 months use made by i don't care who. and how do you know its not structural? he said its cracked big time.
This just does not happen with Sanger boats, they don't let bad gelcoat leave the factory. and they don't have the flex discussed. everybody has to learn where the quality is and what is quality. and since sanger really doesn't market back east you probably have not seen enough of them to compare and are just uninformed...take a look at a sanger when you get a chance.

show me a thread where a sanger has a gelcoat problem or cracks(not caused by drilling)...you can't.
sanger is the only boats with no max horsepower rating you can put as much HP in as you want...see if ANY other manufaturer has no max rating.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
if I paid $50k for a boat, and had only gone on the first run with the dealer, I'd find it unacceptable, and want the boat replaced with a new one, or my money back.

Maybe for some they'd be ok with driving it around for the season knowing they'd be "taken care of" at the end of the season, but I would be wondering if they would stand behind that promise, and wouldn't want to be worrying about it all year.

I'd take your boat back immediately and leave it there. If they say they won't take it back, reach out to Rick Tinker immediately. If he's as good as everyone says, he'll get your boat replaced.

Maybe spider cracks do happen...but I'm on my second boat, having owned an MC for 3 years, and my Nauty now for 4, and I've never seen a spider crack.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-29-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
I have seen multiple Nautique's spider crack, including my own. Someone on this board, had their Nautique hull replaced, by switching their parts over. Mastercraft's crack just like the 2 Sangers so far I have seen crack. I have also seen a MC seperate the lower deck from the upper. Should we even talk about gel coat issues with boats used in salt water? I grew up sailing a ten meter yacht, and have spent enough time around boats to learn, some things just happen.

If the gel coat is mixed hot, it is more likely to crack, and yes it is a quality control issue, they all attempt to control, but sometimes fail.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-30-2007, 12:00 AM Reply   
some things just happen???
and sometimes quality control fails????...but hey its someone elses $50k 2month old boat with cracks he sees and feels 10-14 inches long. i have never seen that on any Sanger, ever. they are the only mfgr to use a side bulkhead that eliminates flexing in the hull.
this is not spider cracks he described.
my crew and I separated the upper deck from the lower deck of an 84 mastercraft in 85 and mastercraft said we used the boat too much...
you've seen 2 sangers crack? right! 2 months after getting it? from "flexing"?
i don't think so pete, tell me about it.
since about 1988 i've skied over 30 different sangers-all flawless, they are known for great gelcoats...never seen gelcoat cracked (except at drill holes or by a hammer) i go on my 27 yrs of skiboat use and exposure to nearly all brands avail PLUS the added info from a friend who owns a boat repair business with 47 yrs of boating experience in the powerboat inboard repair business(he don't do yachts!)...he does not sell boats just fixes them, only inboard wake and ski boats, so he does not have any preference. so my experience covers hundreds of boats...buy whoevers story you want to buy believe what you want to believe.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
What happens if you get in an accident before the season is over? Is the dealer still going to "take care of you"? I'd park the boat in his lot and leave it there until it was fixed.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
When did this become a Sanger vs. the world post?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
It became a Sanger vs the world, when a barefooter knows what is best for wakeboarding...His quote even says that you wont find a ski or board in his boat. Consider the source...I guess those huge barefooting wakes really test out the structural integrity of Sangers.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
"And imo sangers compare to Tiges."

That's a foul.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
bftskir,

actually I'm on the west coast and I do have a quality boat that I'm perfectly happy with check the profile. I did check into sanger there is a dealer here, but I wanted a nicer looking boat. Max hp rating, did you fall and bump your head on your barefoot pylon? Who cares, you can put an 8.1 in any of these boats with no problem who needs more than that.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-30-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Peter, what did you mean by the statement: "Should we even talk about gel coat issues with boats used in salt water?"
Generally speaking, above the waterline, the saltwater will not harm anything as long as you wash and wax regularly. If you park a boat in saltwater and it's not painted...well then you have other issues.
Saltwater will fade gelcoat faster then freshwater, but again generally the sun is what kills the boats gelcoat.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-30-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Haha yeah I have seen a Sanger with 10+ inch cracks in the gel coat. Thanks for reminding me...that makes three Sangers with cracks in the gel coat.

Edit: Even with bottom paint a boat left in salt water will often get bubbles and barnacles. I didn't really care to go down the salt water path as few on this board, probably store their boat in salt water.

(Message edited by Peter_C on April 30, 2007)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
A very similar situation happened to us last season with scratches in the gelcoat of our brand new boat. Our dealer and manufacturer took care of us and repaired the gel, as well as taking care of the warranty for an extended period of time. It really is upsetting when your brand new boat comes with defects like this, but if your dealer is legit they will do everything they can along with the manufacturer to work everything out.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
I got an email from Rick Tinker today. Based on what he told me, everything will be worked out. I have no idea what customer service is like with other manufacturers, but when the president of the company pro-actively reaches out to you when there is problem it is really impressive and shows how much they care about their customers. I have no doubt that Skiers choice will take care of the problem.