Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I currently ride a Project 142 and I am at the low-intermediate level - W2W, 180s, grabs here and there. I still have a long way to go in riding but I want to demo a few shorter boards since I think it will help me with board control.

I started on a Hyperlite Fusion 136 (or 137?) -- it was a great beginner board and then I moved to the Project 142. I love the way the Project holds an edge and I get pretty good pop out of it. I have tried a Premier 136 and liked the way it spun for 180s and ollie 180s but did NOT love the slippery feel - I had trouble setting it on edge for a cut. Our lake can get pretty rough so a board that rides well in chop is essential.

Any suggestions on a current Hyperlite board that is similar to the Project? I wanna stick w/ Hyperlite since I have a great relationship with my local shop (go Chicago SeaRay!!). I don't care if it is a girls board, boys board or what the price is - I ride 6 days a week and need something to progress on. I am 5'6" and **cough cough** 130 pounds (I like to think it is all muscle ).
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-22-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
Sounds logical to me that you look at the TFD 136.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
You did everything but actually plain out ask for a TFD.... Get the 136 and you wont be disappointed. By the way, with your size and weight the 136 is going to help your riding alot. TFD tracks extreamly well, lands super smooth (no lie), has decent pop (better then other continuous rocker boards), and its super quick. Let us know what you decide on.... try to demo some things.
Old    sbvfive            06-22-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
As I was reading the post all I could think was TFD, TFD, TFD. Obviously there is a pattern here!!
Old    bobbymucic            06-22-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
My old board was a project 142. I now rode the TFD 142.

The TFD lands softer, pops better, and breaks loose for surface spins easier than the project.

However, I do sometimes loose my edge when coming in hard at the wake. My project never did this. Of course it is because of weight distribution, but it is evidenced in the boards fin depth.

Demo a motive and TFD..see if you could play with the fin size on the motive. Of all the boards I've tried. The motive (old belmont) held and edge best for me, but also was hard to break loose on the surface.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
good call on the motive.... i started on the old belmont (motive) it really is a great board too... dosnt pop nearly as hard as the TFD though and its not as fast.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2004, 3:52 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions! It's great to have some experts to ask. I will certainly try a TFD and I'll grab a Motive to try while I'm there, too. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2004, 6:02 AM Reply   
That's weird Lizard. I have a premier 140 and my brother has a project 142. His board, to me, seems alot looser or slippery ecspecially in rough water.