Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-18-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Is there an ankle brace out there that would fit inside a set of bindings? I recently spained my ankle and it sucks because everytime I crash hard my ankle just kills me. My ankle sprian is kind of wierd. It doesn't hurt doing day to day things such as walking, running, or jumping, but if I fall with my weight on my lead foot so it pushes my ankle to the side It hurts like Heck for about an hour and then start to feel pretty good again. By the next morning I can't hardly tell I twisted it unless I stretch it so my toe point to the floor. If anyone Knows of a brace I can wear or has any insight to what I can do to help this problem I would greatly apprecaite it.

I Know staying off of it would definaly help, but I live in Minnesota so my season is fairly short and I don't want to miss the best time of the year.
Old    crowe            06-18-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
I dont know of any braces that would fit in the bidning, but i had that same problem about two months ago. (softball) It lasted for about a month. Not much you can do but let it heal.Just stock up on the drugs when you go out. Tylenol,motrin.........VICODIN!
Old    mnboarder            06-18-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
I've never heard of a brace that would fit either, and honestly I don't think it would help much anyway. Crashing puts more stress on your ankle than a brace would be able to support. My suggestion would be to do a lot of stretching exercises with your ankle. Not just when you're riding, all the time. I sprained my ankle playing Beach v-ball and the stretching helped a lot. It will take a long time to get back to 100% though. By the way, good to see another Minnesota resident on wake world. I agree 100%, the wakeboard season up here is WAY too short.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-19-2004, 1:20 AM Reply   
I have a brace called an "Active Ankle". It could probably be used with a modified binding.
Old    papi            06-19-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
Try sports tape. There are several methods / styles to wrapping ankles. A complete wrap style gives you the most support but limits the movement too much (IMO). A partial wrap or preventative style supports the joint but continues to allow movement. It takes a while to learn how to tape. There are several web pages that provide details on how to wrap. Do a search on “sports ankle tape”

You may have to re-tape for each set as the adhesive will breakdown after being in the water for a while.

P.S. Shave first or use pre-wrap.
Old    hockeynriding03            06-20-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
I have the same problem with my lead ankle. It really sucks. I think I hurt it by repeatidly landing out into the flats really hard with my lead foot. My ankle is the same way with how the pain acts up. I find that landing down the wake or softly into the flats with your back ankle is best. Im going on vacation for a week so I wont be doing any riding and hopefully it will heal then.
Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-21-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to tape my ankle and see how that works. Thanks Again Mark
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-21-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
i sprained my ankle over memorial day weekend and haven't ridden since, i am going to ride for the first time after hurting it over the 4th